• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB What would you take -- friend parting out MGB

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A good friend of mine is doing a V6 and suspension conversion on his '71 MGB, and is getting rid of the unused MG parts. Engine, transmission (non OD), and pretty much the full suspension. I'm going to grab the engine for sure, as I'd like to have a spare to play with.

I'm thinking of grabbing the suspension (crossmember from disc to disc) and maybe the rear end. Don't really want to store them, but might be nice to have as spares (they're all in good shape, at least as good as what's on my car now).

Thoughts? I hate to collect bits I don't need, but also don't want to miss useful spares to have on the shelf.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Drew, if the price is good, you can always get your money back in a few years. And maybe, just maybe, that engine can go to Hap so he can make your "B" go fastttt!!
I'd do it if I were you.

Dave :devilgrin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's why I'm grabbing the engine at least -- a performance build of some sort is in my eventual future. The other bits are just for spares.

If the car has bolt on wheels , for sure get the hubs, F&R, they can be easily be sold to someone doing a spoke wheel to bolt on wheel conversion. of course I would nab the SU carbs as well. The exhaust manifold as well can be used by a RB owner converting away from the ZS carbn and it's terrible intake/exhaust manifold those cars came with. The distributor should be a 25D, so nice to have a spare for rebuilding.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Billm said:
Drew
We all knew that you should have built a bigger shop! :smile:
BillM
No, I just need to be careful in what I grab -- self imposed limitations can be helpful.
grin.gif

Hap Waldrop said:
If the car has bolt on wheels , for sure get the hubs, F&R, they can be easily be sold to someone doing a spoke wheel to bolt on wheel conversion. of course I would nab the SU carbs as well. The exhaust manifold as well can be used by a RB owner converting away from the ZS carbn and it's terrible intake/exhaust manifold those cars came with. The distributor should be a 25D, so nice to have a spare for rebuilding.

I'm hoping to at least get the distributor with the engine. May try and grab the exhaust manifold as well as a spare. I think he's running a Weber (no interest), don't know if the original SUs are around.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ditto all the above. As for the rear end, just my experience here: I kept the spare I had when I restored Janet's B. That was ten years ago, and it's still sitting in the shop, taking up space. About the only problem they ever develop is the thrust washers, and they're an easy fix.

Hap's right about the hubs, though. Pull them, front and rear, along with the rear axle shafts; someone will want them.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks like I'll just be getting the engine -- someone else needed the other bits. Fine by me, that was all I was really after. Planning for a future performance build, will be nice to have a spare to either swap in or to prep for whatever build I decide on.