• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 What is a brand new TR6 worth?

G

As I have talked about way in the past, I know where there are two (2) brand-new, untitled, no miles, climate-controlled stored, dealer-owned 1976 TR6's in Baton Rouge, LA. They are owned by Paretti Imports out of Metairie, LA, and they have moved them to BR. One BRG and one White, both with factory hardtops. I know they used to crank them regularly, assume they still do. As well as an MGB Limited (but who cares).

Thought on my next trip to BR I might see if they are for sale.

I used to ogle them years back when they displayed them but they put them in hiding. The cars have to be for sale some day.

OP
G

A couple of years back when I was first looking there was a place in CT with a website, offering to build a new one from parts for about 35k.

If I only knew then when I know now...

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I read a recent article in Motor Trend stating serious collectors are looking for Original cars, not restored. Their desire for original is based on looking at the car as a piece of art. The one thing all collectors cherish is to have one of a kind or a few. And originals fit this bill.

The article featured a Shelby Cobra ,unmodified, original paint, and interior, even a dirty engine . This car was still a driver, but they limited the revs to 5000.

Might be that it was a Shelby, but I will bet you all will be surprised at what these TR6's go for.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
No matter what anyone says, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. We all have our desires and some have big pocketbooks on the collector circuit. Look at some of the numbers thrown up at Barrett Jackson these days.

They could go for $30,000 each plus, or just sit if the right buyer isn't there at the right time.

OP
G

FWIW, Paretti Imports is currently the only Jaguar dealer in the area. They were both Triumph and MG dealers in the past. They obviously know the cars and what it takes to keep them stored properly. The last time I saw them, about 10 years ago, even the rubber looked new, no dry rot. I would be willing to bet that these are the only new TR6's left on the planet.

OP
G

Brosky said:
They could go for $30,000 each plus,

I am pretty sure they have already turned down a serious offer of 30K. But that was a few years ago. Who knows?

OP
G

tomshobby said:
Now, that would be a great way to start doing a resto-mod! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

And with that I will duck and run for cover! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

That would be a mortal sin, not a venial one.

OP
D

DougF

Maybe 8 years ago, there was a '76 for sale in Hemmings that had 7 miles on it. I don't recall if it had been titled. The asking price was $40,000. It was advertised for a long time, so it may not have sold.
I've heard tales that many '76's were hoarded up and stored because everyone new that it was the last year. Many of these cars are probably in hiding. But, they all would have been titled.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
if a tr4 can go for 90k at auction, i think you'ld be looking at 6 figures easy. oh, did i burst someones bubble?
Rob

OP
T

Tinster

I'm pretty sure Alana and I are about
neck to neck in our quest to see who can
first dump $50K into a TR6 restore.

Mine just to operate;
Alana's for speed.

What could we purchase for $100K?? Hummmm.....

Maybe like a 28' Mako offshore w'
twin 250's!!

just kiding around,

d

OP
G

Tinster said:
I'm pretty sure Alana and I are about
neck to neck in our quest to see who can
first dump $50K into a TR6 restore.

Mine just to operate;
Alana's for speed.

What could we purchase for $100K?? Hummmm.....

Maybe like a 28' Mako offshore w'
twin 250's!!

just kiding around,

d

If you count initial purchase cost, I've done my half, now it's up to you. Boats aren't my thing - I was thinking that I could have had a nice rodded TR8 plus 25k for a racecar and spares. Or a nice XKE, or an original Lotus 6 or or or...

I do have a problem.

OP
T

Tinster

"Or a nice XKE, or an original Lotus 6"

On that we could agree!!

d

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
Seems like I read that Bob Tullius of Group 44 fame, has the last TR6 constructed, "squirlled" away in a plastic bag in his hangar. I'll bet it would "scare" $100,000 bucks.
Take care Bob

IanF

Jedi Trainee
Hard to say... but for comparison, a similar condition Volvo 1800ES recently sold for nearly $40K.

Triumph TR6's are much more desirable cars.

So I would say not less than $50K and I would not be surprised if it would sell for more.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Recall a few months ago I posted information from Hemmings Motor News for 4 TR6's with less than 500 miles on each. A couple were less than 100 miles. The seller was asking for $40K each. They only appeared in one issue. I don't know if any or all sold. The seller may not have renewed his ad?
For $40K you could have had a "new" TR6.
Mine had 14166 miles when I bought it in Oct 2005. It was considerably less than half the price the seller was asking for the 4 cars in Hemmings.
As mentioned above it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
The now legendary (mythical?) $100K TR4 has everyone seeing dollar signs but I don't think the prices have gone up much.

BTW there is a member in our local club who has a VERY! nice TR4A IRS with OD and Chrome wires for sale at $20K.
He is just now starting to advertise it.