• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What I did this weekend

RickB

Yoda
Really I started last weekend, but the set I received was defective and had to be replaced.
The second set was perfect so I replaced my seat upholstery this weekend.
Both seats have heaters in the back and bottom, making for a very comfy ride on chilly autumn days!

Here is a picture:

installed02.jpg

They are comfy and I think they look nice and the heaters in the back and bottom are really awesome!
For $40 to $50 per seat I think there's no better bang for the buck than seat heaters!
(If you have an alternator with plenty of amps)

They are from Auto Tops Direct in case anyone cares, of course these are the Miata seats.

nomad

Yoda
Doesn't look as if you got the head rest speakers, Rick. I think I'd trade them back in for heaters AND headrest speakers! Warm backside, cool tunes and the smell of autumn leaves!! What a way to travel!!

Kurt.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
You know without my roll bar my Miata seats definitely would recline further. On the other hand, I'd miss the wind blocker and the roll bar does make me feel a little safer.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Not really visible in the pic but the headrests are perforated.
Next I get the speakers, I made sure the wires are all there ready to connect.
Seat belts? Nope just using the stock 78 Midget belts still.
Oh and the seat heaters are working GREAT!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Not gotten to the interior panels yet.
Thinking about using vinyl dye on them, versus replacing.
They are in good condition but they are faded.
Told my wife I wanted tan top boot and dash but she said she likes the black & tan contrast.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's a pretty good deal on the seat covers. I put Miata seats in my car, but they're old and cracked looking. How difficult was it to remove the original covers and put these on?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Removing the thousand or so hog rings was the worst part. (maybe it was only a hundred, seemed like more).
Be sure to request the instructions right away if you get these, they took their time and I had to ask.
I used black plastic tie wraps like for wiring instead of hog rings.
Way easier to replace if need be and they won't rust.
I didn't glue anything, again because I was doing this for the first time I expected to have to redo things.
After my experience I'd suggest no glue and use good quality tie wraps for fastening. You will need about 100 and I found the 4" size to be good but also get some 6" if you are doing it that way.
Also be careful about pulling on the steel wires under the foam, these are your attachment points and will need to stay embedded in the foam.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Green with a beige interior: my favorite combination.

Someday, when I get up the nerve, my '67 Porsche will become green. (It's red now.) Already have the beige interior...

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Did you use wire cutters to remove the hog rings, or a special tool? A set of these covers plus a panel kit from VB will be a good British hibernation project.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I used nail cutters and needle nose pliers.
Generally used these:
64k0201s1.jpg

Fairly inexpensive tool and very handy especially since I've also been doing a rebuild on an 86 year old bathroom in my home.
Multi use kind of tool good for cutting heavy wire, nails etc...

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Rick, that looks great! you've done a really nice job turning a Spridget into a luxury car. Heated seats, new interior, when are you installing the air conditioning?

Morris

Yoda
Rick... how much did you pay for those seat covers and where did you get them ? My Miata seat covers looked pretty nice until some fool burned a hole in one with a soldering iron.:rolleyes: (That guy ruins all my stuff!).

... Okay never mind... I just re-read the thread. Auto Tops Direct: $165.

A bit out of my price range.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Morris said:
Rick...
... Okay never mind... I just re-read the thread. Auto Tops Direct: $165.

A bit out of my price range.

That is for <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">two </span></span>seats you know?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Heh, Jean - the only thing really needed here is heat, we got plenty cooling when we want it, or not!!

nomad

Yoda
Rick, are they leather for that price?? They sure look like leather and if they are we Brit car guys are getting gouged!

Kurt.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
No, they are nice heavy vinyl though.
They definitely look and feel like leather.

Most places are charging $300 plus for vinyl Midget seat covers and leather is usually more like $800 - $900. I agree that the MG people are getting gouged but from the point of view of market size the Miata is a way larger pool of customers.
For Miata you can get leather for around $500 - $700.

Country flag
Classic VW beetle seat covers are much more affordable than the MG stuff too.