• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well there's one failed idea

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I got out tday and dragged out that old tent screen house I planned on using as a makeshift paint booth to see how big it was and its way too small. Now I need some home remedy ideas on how to make my basement garage into a temporary paint booth. Anyone got any ideas drawings or plans?

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
I've certainly seen examples of people covering the inside walls of their garage with cheap plastic film. That the sort of thing you're considering?

-Duncan

terriphill

Darth Vader
or Pvc pipe like we use to build Soccer goals?

asoupley

Jedi Hopeful
I built one out of 1/2" PVC to paint my motorcycle. I even added an exhaust fan... worked great!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Use furnace filters for incoming air.

I shot Her MGB outdoors, under one of those 'too small' cabanas. Open-air. Treated it as a panel repair job: one section at a time.

GranturaMkI described his set-up in a thread I can't locate now...

Our cabana is in the "Found a before photo" thread below, in the "after" photo.

...I'm the only one who knows where the bugs are entoumbed. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
How big do you want it to be.

Home depot sells a kit of plastic angles that build an 8ft by 8 ft frame using 8- 2x2x8's and 4- 2x4x8 on the base. Then you buy a plastic tarp and cover it. The kit was about $14

If you aput two kits togetehr it makes a great 8 x 16 garage. I did that to store my nidget in for the winter. Took me 30 minutes to take down last weekend.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Well a spridget is more or less 10 feet long and 4 1/2 feet wide. Hmmn, lets see 16-10=6/2=3feet on each end, should be plenty of room. 8-4.5=3.5/2=1.75feet on each side, thats only 18 inches, I don't know if that will be enough. Dr entropy got me thinking now. Is there a preffered method of painting a spridget? Top to bottom, bottom to top, hood first?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I used to just staple cheap plastic sheets to the walls and ceiling of the garage, tape it together at the corners, blow air in through a furnace filter and then just throw the $5.00 worth of plastic and furnace filter away when I was done. Worked fine and didn't take-up any room to store between jobs.
Bill

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I just got a killer fan from my dad. Its an old squirrel cage type that we have used before when painting cars 25 years ago. I cleaned it up and it still works fine. I would like this fan blowing out at the bottom of my garage door rather than blowing in. Can this be done? Hmmmn.

Taz

Jedi Trainee
If you spray in a garage in a house it will stink up the whole house for days.Most wifes do not take well to that.You are better of doing it outside.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you set up the fan to blow out, be very certain that it is vapor safe! Otherwise, it might not matter whether you wife gets mad about the smell or not.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Its an inductive motor, no brushes or anything to make a spark. It will be fine. Not worried about that at all. That thing really kicks the air out. I am gonna just open the garage door enough for the snout of the fan to stick out. i plan on using plastic to mask off everything. I have two box fans that I could use to blow in with some furnace filters that I bought, but I dont think they will match the cfm of the squirrel cage. Then again maybe a little negative pressure would not be bad to keep any spray from getting out into the rest of the basement. I need to get some thick plastic sometime but who am I fooling, I got a bad knee and will be looking a shoulder surgery very soon so there is no rush. I just need to make plans that have a high probability of success. If I do a good job I might repaint the wife's festiva in a color that she prefers.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Ah, I think I have it now. I have 6x6 posts in my basement every 4 feet down the center between garage doors. I built this house and I built it stout /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Anyways, I have some heavy shelves that I built to hold old car parts and 50 cases of empty bottles for homebrewing along one wall. I am going to run a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe across at 4 foot intervals and drill a hole in the pipe and screw it into the shelf on one side and the 6x6 on the other. That will provide the framework up top. I also have a huge blue tarp that I used when I raised the roof on my house 4 years ago and had the whole roof uncovered. It is 60 feet by 40 feet and I don't think I will ever have a use for it again(at least I hope not) so I am going to butcher it up and use it for the plastic on the top and sides to make the room and if I fold and mark each piece correctly then I can use it again if I decide to paint something else.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahhh, a man with a plan. sounds good.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
50 cases for home brew, I have about 9 cases of brewed beer and my wife thinks I've gone way over the top. You could become my hero.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have at least 9 cases that are over 10 years old, it improves with age. I don't have 50 full cases, those are empties that I have for when I start back again. I started making my beer in 50 gallon batches, I make a 5 gallon just for a good starter for the yeast pitch. I saved enough bottles for 3 large batches, I figure that is enough.