• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Welcome to VTR 2007 Valley Forge, Pennsylvania

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
On display in the Sheraton Hotel lobby this week.

Thank you Charles Runyan!!!

929HP-1.jpg

929HP-2.jpg

929HP-3.jpg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Still a gorgeous car, and arguably it's one of the nicest designs ever produced by/for Standard-Triumph! I can't believe it was over 20 years ago that I first saw this car (before CAR owned it); at that time it was still running its "Sabrina" twin-cam engine. (Does Charles have the twin-cam back in it, or is it still "temporarily" running a TR engine?)

G

Great pics Frank. That's the kind of picture reporting those of us that couldn't make it need this week. Keep us posted.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Stirkle said:
Great pics Frank. That's the kind of picture reporting those of us that couldn't make it need this week. Keep us posted.

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'll try to post a few more later.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
4aKen said:
Smart decision by Leyland not to use the twin cam in production...anywhere.

Interesting comment. Yester, I attended a presentation by Ted Schumacher of TS Imported Automotive , Pandora Ohio. If you know of Ted, you know that he is quite knowledgeable when it come to these LBC's. He refers to our TR's as "bin cars". This is a term that applied to the production philosophy that was used by Triumph. With the exception of the bodies which were often produced by other companies like Mulliners, Triumph would only produce a car using parts that were already in their bins. This is why you see some many commonalities in engine, drive train and other major components. So the next time you ride in you Spitfire, you are riding in a disguised Hearld. Needless to say, Sabrina engine components were not to be found in THOSE parts bins!

malice

That is a nice ride. Id love to have it in my hands for a few laps! Get more pictures!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Re: Welcome to VTR 2007 Valley Forge, Pennsylvani

angelfj said:
...Ted Schumacher...refers to our TR's as "bin cars". This is a term that applied to the production philosophy that was used by Triumph.
Quite true, but certainly not unique to Standard-Triumph. Look at any American "pony" or "muscle" car of the 1960s, for example. Underneath the outer skin, there was precious little difference between the Mustang and Falcon, or the Valiant and Barracuda, etc., etc. And in some ways it is more true nowadays than ever before, with companies sharing only a few "platforms" over a wide range of models. And although there is less fuss about marque-specific bit (i.e., Pontiac engines as opposed to GM "corporate" engines), such sharing has gone on pretty much since the dawn of the industry. It is the rare and usually very specialized company that could/can afford to create nearly all bits for its cars in-house; even Ferrari raids other corporate parts bins, albeit not for engines and such!
angelfj said:
(Again citing Ted Schumacher) With the exception of the bodies which were often produced by other companies like Mulliners, Triumph would only produce a car using parts that were already in their bins. This is why you see some many commonalities in engine, drive train and other major components.
Again, true, although by the latter part of the 1950s, S-T had a controlling interest in Mulliners and its Forward Radiator subsidiary.

angelfj said:
So the next time you ride in your Spitfire, you are riding in a disguised Herald....
Needless to say, as a nearly lifelong Herald owner and fan -- and almost as long a Spitfire fan, I greatly appreciate that statement! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Just in from the show. It was a great day - a little overcast, but not hot at all.

Lots of cars - somewhere around 300. Over 30 TR3's, a gazillion 6's, and even a few 8's. Three Italias (!), two Southern Crosses (!!), and a Mayflower that would do any bridal party proud.

I'll try to post some pictures when I get home, unless someone else beat me to it.

Oh yeah - met Twosheds, Glenn Merrell, Roman H., and Angelfire. Great hooking up with the Forum crowd!

Up early in the morning and on the road...

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

The Triumph TRS... I was fortunate to have some excellent access to that car a few years back at Mosport...

669634_3293c316b9.jpg

This example didn't have the original engine installed (at that time), they have the original engine in storage but due to mechanical issues they don't actually use it, and apparently they don't vintage race this car, I'm not quite sure why but they must have their good reasons...

T

TRDejaVu

I echo Mickey's review - great day and congratulations to all the organizers for a job very well done.

I only managed to meet one BCF member (Roman H), but I did let quite a few people know about our existence. Based on their experiences with other internet forums, many seem concerned that their questions will be too basic, but I assured them that is not the case, so we'll see if any join.

They closed off one of the main streets in the town for 5 hours so we could do our thing. Although I kept getting sidetracked, I managed to snap a few pics. I know that others will post the close up shots, so here are a few general ones:

The "Rustoleum Paint Special" not looking too out of place on the end of the line

VTR071.jpg

Some general shots:

VTR072.jpg

VTR076.jpg

VTR075.jpg

VTR074.jpg

VTR073.jpg

Apart from the occasional rain, which is just additional lubrication to British cars as it stops them squeaking, I hope that you all enjoyed your time in our "neck of the woods".

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Thanks to all who have posted photos allowing a vicarious visit to the convention. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif
Ian, your car looks great in that line up and the small town streetscape is a perfect backdrop for the cars.

Wish I had been there.

So where will it be next year?

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight

Excellent pictures. Thank you for sharing them with us. I would have loved to have been there.
Nick

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

Thanks for the pictures and please keep them coming. Sounds like the VTR convention has gone a lot better than the TR Register show in the UK this week - they were literally under water for a while.

Randy
65 TR4

toysrrus

Yoda

Hi Mickey;

Glad that you had a Great Time @ VTR:

Question? Why did`nt You mention any "TR4`s or 250`s"?

Just Curious?

Thanx and Regards,

Russ

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior

TRDejaVu said:
They closed off one of the main streets in the town for 5 hours so we could do our thing. Although I kept getting sidetracked, I managed to snap a few pics. I know that others will post the close up shots, so here are a few general ones:

The "Rustoleum Paint Special" not looking too out of place on the end of the line

Some general shots:

VTR076.jpg

Ian
The rustoleum paint special looks good next to "Old Gold". Goldie is the third TR4 in this photo, the one with the steel rims. Old Gold performed flawlessly during the entire VTR. I had a great time spending so much time driving the car. I was particularly proud that I got it on the road the Saturday before the event after the rear brake troubles.

I have a dirty secret about the TRS. I was volunteer for the autocross when it attempted to cicle the track, The time the car left early without completing a lap. The second time it broke down and rolled to a stop. (Old Gold completed all three runs) I ended up pushing it off the course, and then later, helping to push it into the trailer (in the rain) and tie it down. I didn't know that was the Sabrina engine. That was some crackle coming from that engine. You could hear it running up the road standing in the autocross field.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan

Sorry I missed you Mickey.

Frank - The LeMans car has a very! very! very! sick TR4 engine in it. If you heard it run, maybe that's why you thought that it was the Sabrina engine. Charles has 4 Sabrina engines in pieces in Armaugh. Dave Hutchison told me he plans to do some tuning on the engine before returning it to Charles and secure the generator to the block because it has been hanging loose for at least 2 years. It really needs some loving care.

I drove home today on 202, 76, 276, 476, 81 and 401. I left Downingtown at 7 AM and took a little over 4 hours to reach Syracuse. Then it took 2 hours to drive 8 miles because a semi-trailer had rolled. I was home here in Montreal by 5 PM. That's 544 miles in 8 hours driving time - making it 68 MPH average in my 49 year old TR3A.

Don