• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Wedge wheel adapters

swift6

Yoda
I used some similar to that. I had them made by a place in California that I found through a "wheel adapter" search on ebay. What you have to figure out is how wide the adapters are. Add that to the inherent offset of the hub/original wheel and then find a suitable wheel offset in your new wheel choices. I had my adapters made at the thinnest the company could at 19mm. The original alloys are +25mm offset so add the 19mm for a total offset of 44mm. Most FWD wheels have pretty heavy positive offsets and I was able to easily find several choices in a +42mm offset. The 2mm difference is fairly minor. Doing this can open up your choices for wheels and could save you some money depending upon the wheels chosen. But There are some wheels out there that do have the correct bolt pattern and are in larger sizes. Just limited style choice with those.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Your other option is to redrill your hubs to accept 4X100 wheels. In order to do this, you need to take the hubs and rear axles to a machine shop and have them offset drill a larger hole that will now accept a wheel stud that has a larger knurled end on it. I only advise doing this if you all ready have 4X100 wheels or if you absolutely have to have the slickest lightweight wheels on the market. I did this on my TR8 race car and one of my TR8 street cars only because now they can share wheels with my BMW 2002 race car. Your cheapest alternative is to just order the Rota RBs or similar wheels that fit the stock bolt pattern.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, everyone. It looks like the offset is going to be the deal breaker with the adapters. Not that I can't find wheels that would work, I don't want the look where the outside rim edge and the center of the wheel are basically "flat". I was hoping to find something other than the "minilite" style, but that seems to be what there is (without ordering from England, at least).

I did see some Rota RBs on ebay that look nice, and I could get then in gunmetal gray, which I think would look good on a silver car.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Darrell, Darrell, Darrell.
Sure the Rota's are cheaper . But the Classic 8's are a lot lighter. Get them in a couple of colours too.
I'll sell you my Superlights (pre Classic 8's) and the tires when Hap finally has the 8" available.
DSCF3003.jpg

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The Rota RBs in 15x6 are supposed to be 13.8 lbs
The Classic 8s in 15x6 are supposed to be 13.7 lbs

I'm not sure Hap has the Classic 8s in the right size in anything but black (and I don't want black). If he had them in gray, then I'd probably go with them. But I'm unsure how I would like silver on a silver car.

The cost difference isn't that much, though if I add in repainting the Classic 8s, then its starts to get too skewed.

swift6

Yoda
FWIW, By the time I was all said and done with my adapters, and wheels I was out about $600 not including the tires. My adapters are a 4X100 bolt pattern. Since I use my car on a daily basis I really couldn't have it down for the time needed to remove and redrill all the hubs. The extra offset does force you to the more modern flush style of wheels but I personally don't mind it.

PA231635.jpg

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Hi Shawn,

Those wheels look pretty good.

I was thinking of something like the Enkei Classic 92 in black would look good on a silver car. It is available in a 15x7, +38mm offset. So if I could get some 19mm adapters like yours, that would make the effective offset +19mm, or 6mm less than stock. That is about a quarter inch, which might be OK?

The only problem is I haven't found a picture of what I'm sure is that wheel. I don't think it would have as much rim as this one in the picture. Though 38mm is about 1.5 inches, so that would put the back of the center 2 inches from the outside edge of the rim. If the center mesh is 0.5 inches thick, that would leave about 1.5 inches of outside rim. I just would like to be able to confirm that!

-Darrell

Attachments

• 25094.jpg
    25094.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 126

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Doubtful. Most wheels will have a center hub that is at least 1" thick. If you see a set of wheels for sale in the same size but with different offsets, one size will have even more material on the center in order to achieve the desired offset. For instance. Take the Enkei RPF1 in 15X7. They come in a 35 and a 42mm offsets. The listed weight is 9.9 pounds, but only for the 35mm offset. They don't list the 42mm weight so prominently in the advertising as it has extra thickness on the center section which raises the weight slightly. The Enkeis, along with the panasports seem to be the prevelent wheels at SCCA events. The Enkeis because of the weight to cost ratio and the panasports because of the strength and available offsets and sizes. Here is a picture of the Enkeis on a TR8 with a changed bolt pattern.

Attachments

• 25095.jpg
    25095.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 132
OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
tr8todd said:
Doubtful. Most wheels will have a center hub that is at least 1" thick. If you see a set of wheels for sale in the same size but with different offsets, one size will have even more material on the center in order to achieve the desired offset.

Hi Todd,

I was thinking more of how thick the center would be out at the rim.

The Classic92 comes in two sizes, 15x7, +38mm offset and 15x8, +25mm offset. I'm pretty sure that the picture is of the 15x8, and it is the only picture I've been able to find so far.

Anyway, I'm probably over thinking this. While a large portion of TR7/8s with non-stock wheels have the 8-spoke type, in reality I never see another out on the road.

-Darrell