• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VTR Nationals 2015

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Ok, so pretty much the only time I'll ever go to one of these is if they have one in DFW. Looking at their website:
https://www.vtr.org/conventions/index.shtml
I discovered a pattern:

Las Colinas, Texas (2006)
Fort Worth, TX (1997)
Dallas, TX (1988)

Seems that every 9 years they have it in DFW... ...AND on top of that, they seem to have it closer and closer. Now, in my defense, I was 6 in 88, and 16 in 97. In 2006, I may of just heard about the existence of Triumphs. So Im thinking that come 2015 I'll be ready for it. This gives me about 5 years to get as much done on my gt6 as possible, and get it dependable to drive across town to the Texas Motor Speedway, which it will be held, because, like I said, each year its closer and closer, and I cant imagine a better location for it that could possibly be any closer.

Im so excited. And I dont even have to rush!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Triumphest 2015

Young whippersnapper. I was at the convention back in '88, seems like it was just yesterday I had my 69 TR6.. As long as you have the enthusiasm and have this all planned, work it so that the convention shows up in late September or October maybe. The convention they had in Las Colinas in July was just a little on the warm side!

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

UmmYeahOk said:
Ok, so pretty much the only time I'll ever go to one of these is if they have one in DFW. Looking at their website:
https://www.vtr.org/conventions/index.shtml
I discovered a pattern:

Las Colinas, Texas (2006)
Fort Worth, TX (1997)
Dallas, TX (1988)

Seems that every 9 years they have it in DFW... ...AND on top of that, they seem to have it closer and closer. Now, in my defense, I was 6 in 88, and 16 in 97. In 2006, I may of just heard about the existence of Triumphs. So Im thinking that come 2015 I'll be ready for it. This gives me about 5 years to get as much done on my gt6 as possible, and get it dependable to drive across town to the Texas Motor Speedway, which it will be held, because, like I said, each year its closer and closer, and I cant imagine a better location for it that could possibly be any closer.

Im so excited. And I dont even have to rush!

go to one outside of that oven/dust bowl. last time in irving everyone just about died (including people and cars)with temps over 100, and parking on macadam!

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior

TR4nut said:
Young whippersnapper. I was at the convention back in '88, seems like it was just yesterday I had my 69 TR6.. As long as you have the enthusiasm and have this all planned, work it so that the convention shows up in late September or October maybe. The convention they had in Las Colinas in July was just a little on the warm side!

Well, that wasnt even a classic car then! It was just an old car that no one wanted, which explains why Triumph fell apart in the 80s.

I always wondered about that when I drive my 15yo mustang to places. Not a classic, not new, not special... ...even though it is. You see while you were going to all these in the 80s and 90s, I was looking at 70s muscle cars thinking, "ewe." No one wants one of those. Theyre old! Theyre not classics! Theyre just old! Thats why they hid them in barns. They couldnt sell them. Now everyone wants them and they can sell for 6 digit figures! To this day I still see them as "old peoples cars"

angelfj said:
go to one outside of that oven/dust bowl. last time in irving everyone just about died (including people and cars)with temps over 100, and parking on macadam!

Arent they held in the fall? Its currently 63 degrees here. Its been freezing all week. High is supposed to eventually get to the 80s this week. Then again, its probably already snowing where you are.

And dust bowl? Man, you really ARE old, arent you? =) And macadam? I had to look that one up. I dont think they pave roads like that anymore. I think the oldest thing in Las Colinas (irving) is the monorail that they gave up on. Maybe theres different terms for it. Theres dirt, gravel, asphalt, and concrete.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior

Oh, here we go...
wikipedia said:
Due to uses of macadam as a road surface in former times, roads in some parts of the United States (as parts of Pennsylvania) are often referred to as macadam, even though they might be made of asphalt or concrete.

So, maybe not that old... ...just a bizarre regional dialect.

From this I assume you meant freshly paved asphalt, which would be black, and horrible in the summer time, if spent hours on it.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

UmmYeahOk said:
From this I assume you meant freshly paved asphalt, which would be black, and horrible in the summer time, if spent hours on it.

Yeah, no kidding. In Texas, you can learn that asphalt has a liquid state!

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior

Mickey Richaud said:
UmmYeahOk said:

Yeah, no kidding. In Texas, you can learn that asphalt has a liquid state!

It actually does. At least asphalt does. Gravel doesnt count as it just washes away. It still remains dust and rock, just as dirt roads remain dirt. Asphalt seems to move with the land, should roots grow upward, or should the ground sink. Usually its solid enough to just crack, but in many cases, if gradual enough, it will just bend.

But possibly the worst reason its not a solid has nothing to do with temperature. Its all about traffic. With all the heavy vehicles we have these days they road just sinks. The wheels wear down the area creating ruts. Some roads can be so bad that you dont even have to steer. Its like riding the small kiddie cars that are on a track. No matter how hard you steer off road, you remain on track.

I recall this one road which was so bad that the "ruts" were so deep that the "track" would rub at my undercarriage in some places. On top of that, the ruts were created by everyday wheels. My 10.5" tires wouldnt fit into these ruts and my car would pull every which way, which was very scary, and took great effort (and both hands) to keep the car on the road.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I lived in Corpus Christi from '60-'64. Never will forget walking barefoot on parking lots. Walked REAL fast!

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee

It can happen if the local VTR chapter submits a proposal to VTR to do a National Convention. The plans for 2011 are, at this point Breckenridge, Colorado.
Bob

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Bob_Muzio said:
It can happen if the local VTR chapter submits a proposal to VTR to do a National Convention. The plans for 2011 are, at this point Breckenridge, Colorado.
Bob

Now THAT one I may have to try to make!

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior

Yeah, even now I still see kids walking barefoot. I could never understand why. I mean, there were times, even now that Ill do it, just for a quick in and out because looking for my shoes would take too much time. Ignore getting bit by bugs, stepping on rocks, twigs, nuts, etc. The heat alone would be horrible. I would actually risk more rocks and bug bites and walk in the grass than attempt the whole journey on the pavement.

And yet I see kids spending hours doing this?!? Theyre not even native texans either! How can they endure this? More importantly why are they?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

UmmYeahOk said:
How can they endure this? More importantly why are they?

Gotta love the internet:

Why barefoot?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Just for clarity, you're talking about the VTR National convention, which is different than Triumphest. Triumphest is strictly a west coast (including Arizona & Nevada) phenomenon; while the VTR Nationals are generally (tho not always) held east of the Rockies. The combined event this year truly was a "first ever" ... it remains to be seen if there will ever be another one like it.

In both cases, the venue is chosen by the club that hosts the event. For Triumphest, we have a defined rotation of clubs; but the host for VTR is chosen each year from a (very) short list of the clubs that volunteer.

So, if you want VTR to come to DFW for 2015, you should first join the local chapter (RRTC I believe) and then convince your fellow club members that it would be "fun". Nine years sounds about right for everyone to forget how much work, and toil and grief it was; and only remember the fun parts :laugh:

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

Mickey Richaud said:
Bob_Muzio said:
Bob

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Mickey, I am visualizing a convoy!</span></span>

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

angelfj said:
Mickey Richaud said:
Bob_Muzio said:
Bob

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Mickey, I am visualizing a convoy!</span></span>

10-4, Good Buddy! Let's talk.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

UmmYeahOk said:
So, maybe not that old... ...just a bizarre regional dialect.

low blow

however if memory serves there's not much asphalt (AKA, macadam) in the dallas area. most of the roads I recall from the 1970's were made of "sea-ment" (AKA concrete)

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I like to call it "bare footen"

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
My bad. I'll see if I can change my threads title to avoid confusion. Especially when it comes time for people to google "triumphest 2015"
It worked, but everyone else was still replying to replies. Just for fun, I thought I'd reply to the edited original. :wink:

I missed '88 and '06 but was there in '97. RRTC tends to do an excellent job on everything except the heat! :devilgrin: But even there (at least at the '97 event), they did their very best to keep folks hydrated.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
angelfj said:
however if memory serves there's not much asphalt (AKA, macadam) in the dallas area. most of the roads I recall from the 1970's were made of "sea-ment" (AKA concrete)

It depends on several factors: how much money a location has, population, traffic (which can be completely unaffected by population)

In Dallas Dallas (the city) its possible to have asphalt parking lots. A common practice is paving over concrete with asphalt. Since concrete is expensive, this tends to be the cheap alternative. Resurfacing highways tend to be done in this fashion. If its concrete, its new.

In suburbs of Dallas (even if theyre closer to Ft Worth or Denton) you tend to find more asphalt as there tend to be a lot of farm-to-market roads as back in the day you needed these to roads to get to Dallas, Ft worth, and Denton. They always began life as two lane asphalt roads (I say this because I never saw one that wasnt) They were great for towns with populations of 20k or less. But the 90s up to today many surrounding communities just blew up in size. Now you have towns with 60-80k people using these streets, not to mention all the people from other towns using them as well. These are slowly being replaced with 6 lane concrete. When concrete is damaged in these towns, they are repaired with concrete (as opposed to asphalt like poorer communities do)

Where I live, they are currently doing just this outside my neighborhood. My neighborhood is probably the strangest in the town. Its one of the few that doesnt have a home owners association. Its been around since the 60s (or so Ive been told. The oldest house I can date is the 80s) It really didnt have an official developer (who typically are the ones who pave the roads.) Pretty much this is our historic district, even though my home was built in 2003. The city maintains the roads, not the developer or HOA. Our roads are asphalt. They started life as gravel though. As the neighborhood slowly grows new roads (that have always been on the map) are paved with gravel. When enough people have moved on a road, the city paves it in asphalt. I would love to someday have a cement road. They closed off my road and rather than dead end (which I feared) they paved a nice cement cul-de-sac. But Im pretty sure it would take 20+ years before they ever considered repaving the whole thing in cement.

As population grows I have to pay road maintenance fees. Since I live in Denton county, and the population reaches a certain point my money goes to them. Strangely the state (not my town) paves my roads, and Denton, the city itself, sees very little. (pot holes, no paint, etc)