• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vintage Racing Question

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Would a '74 TVR 2500M be eligible for any type of vintage racing? I don't know much about the different organizations, but thought I heard that at least one of them wouldn't allow a car that new. I'd welcome any information about this or anything related to getting into vintage racing. I live in northern Ohio if that matters.
Thanks!
Jim

MGB12

Freshman Member
I don't know much about the TVR 2500M, but if that model was classified by SCCA in 1972, it should be approved for some organizations. The main thing is to contact the organization you would like to race with to check for compliance. A list of clubs can be found at https://www.v-m-c.org/Members/index.html

Twosheds

Darth Vader
What tracks are closest to you? Nelson Ledges? Mid-Ohio? Go to their websites and look at the schedules. Usually you can click on the name of the group sanctioning the event (like VSCDA or SVRA) and it'll take you to their website. Click on Car Eligibility or the like and read the rules.

Spectate at vintage races and ask the participants questions.

Keep asking questions on this forum.

I've never seen a vintage road race 2500M. I have heard that there are some, but not too many.

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks. I know nothing about any vintage racing organizations. I will look it up, but anything anyone here can tell me would also be helpful.
As far as tracks go, I'm within a reasonable distance of several, including Nelson, Mid-Ohio, Beaverun, Gingerman, and VIR. Watkins Glen and Limerock are farther but also doable for a 3 day weekend.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Try VRG.

https://www.vrgonline.org/

Look at the Board of Directors and contact Mark Palmer..see what he says. They are pretty laid back.

Look at their '07 schedule. Worth watching one of their events even if you don't run.
My car is a '78 (chassis) but they let me run since the car is mostly back-dated to older Sprite appearance.

Their last event of the season (Turkey Bowl) is a mixed event and has been open to modern cars in the past. Nov 23-25. I know they'll be at The Glen in the Fall....I helped work that deal out.

Here's photos I took at a '06 VRG event:

https://liverpoolmotorclub.tripod.com/vrg-beaverun06.html

I had a good time racing this older Tivver at a VGR event at Summit last year:

IMG_0996.intermediate.jpg

D

Deleted member 3577

I would bet your car is legal under the "continuation car" rule.

This means that it must be nearly identical to a car manufactured before 1973.

I think all 2500M cars used the same bits.

If you want to go SCCA, there is a drivers school next month at Nelson.....I think the 21st? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My car is far from being ready for that! But thanks for the info! Do all of the clubs have that continuation rule?
By SCCA, are you talking about Production class, or do they have a vintage class now? Which do you run in?

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
""""" Do all of the clubs have that continuation rule?""""""

Most (but not all) have a production car cutoff of pre 1973.

That said....and was pointed out above, that if the car was visually and mechanically the same as say a 1969 model, then you could call your car a 1969.

IF this is a car that is for sale or you dont own it (yet) , you might put the horse BEFORE the cart and check elligibility of various vintage groups in your part of the world BEFORE you buy. The VMC (Vintage Motorsport Council) is the umbrella organization that most of the vintage clubs belong to. You can look on their website and get clubs names, then look on their websites in the rules section or call them.

You might also contact Victory Lane Magazine which is a monthly , specializing in Vintage/Historic racing with US and international coverge and race results, and subscribe . You might even get a free copy as a sample. They also have a website. Phone is 650-321-1411.

Also , and on this websites masthead is Vintage Motorsport magazine out of Florida who has mostly some east coast coverage and pictures.

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
Here is the regulations for the TVR prepped to SVRA rules..

https://svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/attachmentweb/EJEN-68VKK5/$file/TVR.pdf?OpenElement

If you run with SVRA they'll make you run in Group 8. Here is the rules for that Group in addition to what you see above.

https://svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/attach...pdf?OpenElement

If you have any questions about the TVR in SVRA, email head of tech Jack Woehrle at Jack@svra.com .

Talk to Triumph 6cyl racers. They will be able to help you out.

Just about all organizations will let the car run with them if it is prepped to SVRA rules.

D

Deleted member 3577

Generally speaking......

If the car is older than you are.....You should vintage race it.

On the other hand.....If it is not.....

You should beat it mercilessly until it is completely dead.
(Special exception for Brit. or rare cars like yours)

I will be at Nelson during their drivers school....
You should come!, we could talk/drink beer & you will be entertained with what is going on there.

You will learn more in one day than you could possibly hope to learn in a thousand posts.

I will personally get you in,(No spectators event) introduce you to everyone AND buy you all the beer you can drink.

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
That sounds great. I've actually been to one of their driver's schools before with a couple friends of mine, but I didn't drive. I have attended many other driver's schools, mostly BMWCCA and PCA, and I road raced sprint and enduro karts for a while. I've also extensively autocrossed, and also done some high speed autocrossing, even at Nelson. What I haven't done officially, is race side by side in a car in a real race, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I had a bunch of autocross buddies get into Improved Touring for a while in the 90's. I was going to do it also, but after seeing all the wreckage and cheating and cost, I decided not to.
I'm thinking vintage racing might be the ticket. When my car was born I was 14 years old, so I don't know about that.
You never said, is this a standard SCCA driver's school, like you would take to get your competition license, or something else? Either way, I'd like to attend, meet you, meet others, drink beer - Any time I've ever had around racing and other car guys has been a good time and very worthwhile. I'll have to check out the date, but if you're serious and I can make it, I'd like to.

D

Deleted member 3577

bravenrace said:
I was going to do it also, but after seeing all the wreckage and cheating and cost, I decided not to.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gifYep...There is that /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
But you will have more in making the Tiver race worthy than you will in buying a race ready POS IT car.
If you can preserve your car while SCCA racing, you will have no trouble doing so in vintage.
(My el-cheapo car has been in one piece for about 10 years)
And the license cost of SCCA is MUCH less than a pro school.

Anyway....I'll be flagging April 21/22 for the school.
(Don't know if I'll be working the start tower or a corner)
Have you ever flagged?

My first race is 28/29 April at Nelson.

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
No, I've never flagged. But I'd like to come if I can work it out. So it would be that weekend, the 28-29th?
I'll see if I've got anything going on that weekend.

D

Deleted member 3577

April 21-22 would be better if you want to try flagging.

I can get a 3 man corner and we can watch all the noobs bang into each other. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonod.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Okay, I'll get back to you on that.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
If you want to get into road racing, a great place to start would be in a SCCA IT class. I would buy a used, all ready built IT car. Something reliable and cheap like a Civic or a Golf. While you are learning to road race, you can build your TVR. Once the TVR is done, sell the IT car and go get your vintage licence. You will have the helmet and other gear, as well as some experience. Hopefully you have the truck and trailer you will need. It's expensive to get started.

D

Deleted member 3577

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif Yep......He speaks truth....

OP
bravenrace

bravenrace

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hmm, I already have two Civic si's. Originally I was going to build one into an IT car. I have almost everything I would need to do that. But I was turned off by the experience of some of my buddies. I am good friends with five guys who ran IT for a few years. The rampant cheating, high cost, and vulnerability of getting taken out by less than talented drivers drove them all out of it. While I don't have auto road racing experience so to speak, I will tell you that when I've been at Mid-Ohio in a car that could make 1:41 laps, it felt like slow motion compared to my kart, and that was side by side racing. My thinking was that the TVR could satisfy both the enthusiast in me and the racer. I though that vintage racing would be a better way to go, thinking that contact with other cars would be something everyone wanted to avoid.
So I'm a little confused. Why would IT be a better way to go? Seems like in the end it would be much more expensive, and I'd end up building two cars instread of one (and I don't even have the time to build one, honestly).
Don't take this wrong, I'm not doubting your advice, just trying to understand it.
Thanks,Jim

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
IT is great because used race cars are so cheap for that class. The cars are reliable for the most part and for dollars and track time you can't go wrong. If you just want to get on the track and go racing, then IT is for you.

It seems you want a little more than that, and are looking more for a little more. As great as IT is, it is a little hard to get excited over the myriad of Mazda's, VW's, etc.

Vintage racing can be done on the cheap, but like IT, to run at the front of the bigger groups is going to require quite the effort in prep. I've seen guys out there in MG's with roll bars, a fuel cell and just general safety equipment. If you show up like this, most clubs don't seem to mind dropping you down to a slower run group, and a lot of times you'll still find cars to race with. If you show up with an IT prepped sort of car, ie: gutted interior, full cage, uprated suspension, and a mildly built motor, you'll be running mid pack and you will be involved in some good clean racing.

To run at and near the front, you'll need a full prep motor, close ratio's gearbox, a very sorted suspension set-up, along with driving experience (some of these guys have been racing for 35+ years).

Get in contact with TR6 racers, and they will tell you what you need as far as the driveline is concerned. If you already have the car, and will be doing most of the wrenching yourself, I would think you could run in the middle of the pack with about a $12,000 investment (remember these older cars have problem area's that need to be addressed meaning a more dollars)... but then again, you could have bought at least two IT cars for that price.

D

Deleted member 3577

In order to get a vintage racing license you need a Skip Barber type 3 day school (4 thousand $ or MORE) PLUS a 2 day VRG/VSCCA like school (like 200 bucks)

OR a SCCA license (Two 2 day schools at $275.00 each) + the 2 day vintage school.

You can BUY a car & get a SCCA license for about the same price as the pro school.
AND HAVE the car!!!

Later you can sell the thing, if you don't smash it to bits, and end up getting your real deal vintage license for a lot less.

FOUR THOUSAND FREAK'N DOLLARS for NOTHING!!!(NO license, NO car)
And the vintage guys will look at you very suspiciously on account of you only having 5 days of experience.

Don't take this personally but, I'd stay the heck away from you. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif