• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VIN Tag Question

grandson

Freshman Member
The serial number on my '62 BT7 tri-carb is HBT7L/13855 according to the tri-carb register and the Heritage Certificate. However, ever since I bought the car in 1983, the plate on the firewall shows HBT7L/2/13855. Could this possibly be "official" in any way? Or, is there a legitimate reason why someone would do this as an after market thing other than to denote the car as a Mark 2 perhaps or a 1962? The number "2" is not aligned with the other numbers so it seems someone has done it after the fact and it wasn't me. Would this affect the value of the car in any way? I've always been curious about it.

A number of years ago, I asked one of our favourite parts suppliers across the pond and they said it designated the car as a Mark 2 but somehow I don't think so.

Would welcome your thoughts and comments.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hi grandson (?),

I did some research on "Car Numbers" (what we call VINs here in the USA) when I authored the Austin-Healey Resource Book several years ago, and I never ran across anything like what you describe. However, over the decades I've seen many variations and anomolies related to Austin-Healey production, and I would not want to completely dismiss the possibility that someone added the "2" to denote a Mark II, although I would rate it as very unlikely that it was done by the factory. A clear, close-up photo of your Car No. Plate ("VIN Plate") would be helpful; could you attach one to a reply? Thanks.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R TR6 Triumph vin tag information Triumph 7
BJ8Healeys Location of VIN tag, 1964 Sprite HAN8L43421 (I know it's stamped on the frame. Looking for the tag.) Spridgets 8
Steve P. Need Bugeye vin tag & title Spridgets 15
bugedd VIN tag wanted Spridgets 20
R TR6 '71 TR6 Windscreen Vin Tag Rivets Triumph 1
B 61 Midget VIN Number Tag Spridgets 7
7 Midget missing VIN tag....what to do??? Spridgets 26
fmichaels engine vin tag Spridgets 5
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Advice on how to get VIN number stamped into new plate Triumph 10
T VIN Number Austin Healey 2
BJ8Healeys Looking for BJ8 VIN HBJ8L40768 Austin Healey 0
M Year and Vin number Spridgets 5
B VIN confusion Spridgets 6
G TR4/4A Vin # for TR4A Triumph 3
S TR2/3/3A Vin TS for the car. Triumph 33
K MGA 1960 MGA Vin MG 3
crya Current go-to source for VIN/Chassis Repro Plates? Austin Healey 8
JPSmit Midget VIN question Spridgets 1
Bob Claffie Vin/SN Spridgets 4
H Help decoding Sprite’s VIN please Austin Healey 6
Patrick67BJ8 Early 3000 vs BJ8 vin Austin Healey 3
D Wanted How to locate my father's past Austin Healey1963 3000 Mark III using its Vin # Austin Healey Classifieds 5
69MGC MGC VIN Verification in California MG 4
B Austin Healey 100/6 vin plate and serial number question Austin Healey 3
B TR6 Title with correct VIN Triumph 8
Bantamfan midget vin Spridgets 4
S Austin Healey 3000 BT7 1960 VIN chassis STAMP location Austin Healey 9
Marvin Gruber BT7 vin plates Austin Healey 4
M TR2/3/3A 2nd commission [vin] number??? Help. Triumph 12
A Vin number question Austin Healey 14
F VIN Problem / Whats difference between BN6 and BN7, bare car. Austin Healey 21
pbraun Door pillar number used as VIN on title. What to do? Spridgets 11
pbraun Help with vin decoding Spridgets 18
D VIN Plate stamping Spridgets 13
bugedd VIN Question Spridgets 19
F TR2/3/3A vin # Triumph 6
B BN7 with BT7 VIN on eBay Austin Healey 11
madhouse 1958 100-6 VIN check [BT7 vs BN4] Austin Healey 7
M 1960 AH 3000, VIN help ? Austin Healey 4
M VIN Number Curiousity - 1960 MKI Austin Healey 1
Jim_Gruber VIN where else to look for #'s on a BE Spridgets 6
C What should the VIN plate look like for a BN1? Austin Healey 1
Jim_Gruber VIN number alternate locations - Somewhere by front suspension????? Spridgets 20
Rut Vin number Spridgets 3
R BN7/BN8 VIN search Austin Healey 9
R Healey VIN numbers Austin Healey 2
CJD E in VIN Triumph 10
PAUL161 MGB MGB vin numbers verses years. MG 6
J New stamping for the vin plate Triumph 10
rovernut TR4/4A TR4A IRS VIN differences Triumph 9