• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Victoria British

rampant

Has anyone else had problems with the quality of parts from British Victoria, Ive had waterpump problems, rubber component problems, and various cheap electrical parts problems.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't want to bad mouth any company that supports our hobby - but suffice it to say I cancelled my VB distributorship & focus solely on Moss.....

I VB's defense, I've seen similar quality problems with some of the stuff moss sells too. Not downing either company, and usually if enough people complain about a particular part, they will look for another source.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I've just bought a waterpump and will let you know. My thinking is that VB, Moss etc beat the alternative of having no parts.
I'm with Tony; they both keep my car on the road and that has to be better than a 32 year old paperwight in the garage.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I VB's defense, I've seen similar quality problems with some of the stuff moss sells too. Not downing either company, and usually if enough people complain about a particular part, they will look for another source.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have heard that but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.---Keoke

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Actually, Moss does....

R6MGS

Yoda
I've always gone with MOSS, even though VB is closer to ship for me. I've had problems with both companies. MOSS seams a little better about correcting quality issues, but I have not been impressed with their customer service regarding returns and other product issues. If I am in a jam and need parts quicks I go to Penninsula Imports(local Moss distributor) but if I am in no big hurry I like to order direct. Also Moss carries T series parts which happens to be the majority of what I am buying recently, VB doesn't have anything for T-series, even their MGA stuff is limited.

jdeluke137

I think the secret is to deal with one of the Moss distributors like Tony (I didn't know there were VB distributors). I'm in the Atlanta area, and buy from Atlanta Imported who represents Moss. If a part is junk, they'll tell me, and discourage me from buying it. Based on what I've read on the various forums, that's true of most of the distributors.

I had an MG in 1974 - parts are easier to get now! We have Moss, VB, The Roadster Factory and others to thank for that.

R6MGS

Yoda
My distributor is not nearly as customer friendly and the only reason I put up with them is conveince. Last week I got a flasher unit from them(TR6) got it home, noticed the terminals had a little rust, put it in...doesn't work. Got one from the local auto parts store and it's been working fine. I've been meaning to bring the other one back and raise a little ______ with the parts guy.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
check ur local store for generic type parts like plugs, starters, etc.......
ive used Moss and VB, but use VB more because its here on the third day after usually, and im impatient when waiting on parts ; ) .price also matters..zzimmy

I'll have to say that I've used both VB - spent $1500 with them upon initial purchase of my car for lot's of rubber bits, fuel pump, motor mounts, (not had any problems with any of it yet), and almost a whole hydraulics system - brake M/C, full clutch hydraulics, etc.... And Moss - through Tony - whom I've spent almost that much for both new Moss parts and many used parts from his collection... I'd still buy from either. Certain electronics stuff are problematic because they come from China - in high quantity, low quality manufacturing environments.

That said. Buy from either, and keep the local guy there, and the major guys there too... It helps keep the hobby less expensive. I've heard it said that we MG guys have it really good for parts availability - second only to VW beetle guys - as the market goes... So I'm in for keeping everyone happy as that goes.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I bought rubber door seal material from VB and it was of such a poor quality, I sent it back. I was plain junk. I got the seal material from Moss and it was very high quality. It was as close to the original as you can get. I got the "L" rubber window stops from VB and they were too small to lock in the channel. Got a set from Moss and they fit nice and tight. Knock on wood, I have not had a bad part from Moss yet and that is buying in excess of $ 5,000.00 in parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ

VB is Moss' single biggest customer, so it fair to say alot of the parts are all coming from the same place. For me it comes down to how I'm treated by a company. Moss for sure does better with customer relations than VB does, at VB it's non existent. I like being able to talk to a real person who really knows our cars and I also like dealing with someone who can respond to my needs outside of the normal Moss/VB offerings, so for that reason I deal with Gordon at the B Hive for MGB/Spridget items and Dave and Rob at Winners Circle for Spridget needs. I like the fact the these two companies have direct ties to England and can go outside the normal Moss offerings to get me that special part I'm looking for. I've went directly to England suppliers as well, but this is a bit more difficult as you need to make bigger orders to offset the shipping and custom charges. For me it more about getting me what I want rather than just what you offer through a single source.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to bad mouth any company that supports our hobby - but suffice it to say I cancelled my VB distributorship & focus solely on Moss.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a Moss distributor? Hmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
You're a Moss distributor? Hmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

& you didn't know that, Bas? Best prices on the block! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're a Moss distributor? Hmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

& you didn't know that, Bas? Best prices on the block! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I did not know you were in business, thought you ust sold "stuff" from your "collection." You have a PM.

Basil

Peter_Rogers

Jedi Hopeful
I have not had problems with Moss bvut then I am spoiled as I pcik up the stuff direct from their East Coast wharehouse and save shipping wcich I found was particularly high with VB. Considered buying direct from England from MGOC from a quality point of view. If you are a member of a US chapter they will give you the members discount and that goes a long way toward paying for shipping. Of course you have the exchange rate to worry about but it is a feasable option.

Norm73B

Freshman Member
I have had good luck with VB for most things but have had issues with rubber parts (the window seal on the edge of the doors seperated from the steel backing as I was installing them) but VB eventually sorted me out.

For teh Cdn folks I did not know Penninsula was still around, they are not great for service.

The absolute best have been Obsolete Auto in Point Edwards near Sarnia. If it is not right they fix the problem, pleasant to deal with and fair prices. Their quality has been top notch as well.