• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

V8 powered Healey

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Re: V8 powered Healey

Yes, I too spoke with Mr. Healey on several occasions. His words to me were "anything you can do to make these cars better, do it. We had a budget to adhere to and as a result we were limited to what we could do." Donald did in fact bump into the Nash guy on a ship while coming to the US to approach Cadillac about using there V8 engine. The Nash guy told him Cadillac couldn't keep up production for their own line and would likely not be open to supplying Healey. He did offer to do someting with Healey if he couldn't work out something with Cadillac. Kinda the short story of the Nash-Healey.

Country flag

I understand that Carrol Shelby approached Healey about developing a V8 powered version. He wasn't successful but went on to make arrangements with AC and used their Ace as a based for deriving the Cobra.

nevets, your from mass,well if ya want to see the result of some good old fashion yanky {and southern}engineering reg.V/8 powerd healeys,dont know if youve ever been there,but check out "nasty boys"on the web,modified healeysn neat stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

I believe that Shelby did approach Healey in that regard. By that time Healey was having a hard time keeping up production numbers to pull any chassis off the line to supply Shelby.
I did own a 283 powered 62 BN7 for a while. It was VERY FAST. A mild 283 produced more than enough power. 0 to 60 under 5 seconds. I loved that car.
the last I heard the guy who bought it from me had a bit of a carb fire and it has been parked in a warehouse for years.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight

Jollyroger:
If you are keeping this one in the barn for a better time for you, good luck; BUT, if you know where it is I would be interested in a purchase especially if I could get a history.
Thanks in advance.

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior

vettedog72,

I am the web master for the Modified Austin Healey Registry.
www.ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys

If you are looking for a V8 Healey, we have several members who have cars for sale.

Check the web site - www.ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys

There are also a couple that are not on the web page.

If you have any questions, my Email is at the bottom of the homepage.

Tim Moran - Car # 1

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

You might try and find Dr. Bradley Perkins. Last I heard he was still with the CDC in Atlanta. The car was a 1962 european issue BN7 with extra tail and front blinker lights(the little ones, not the big later lights) and locking steering colume. Only made 7 of em like that.
Good lock finding him. I did a few years back.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior

Jolly, Tell me your not saying that you put a chevy v8 into a 62 bn7 that they only produced 7 for the european market! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Naw man, I got it that way. I wasn't even looking to buy one. Went to look at it thinking it was gonna to be another butcher job. You know goin for a laugh. It was such a great job(best I have ever seen) and the car was rust free and never crashed that I bought it. Used the money I was saving for a house. I probably would not have used that car if it were up to me, but since it was done....hey what a car. I sold it to get the house a few years later. Donald Healey liked it, said so himself. He didn't worship the cars, he liked em fast. Would have been worth more with the tri-carb engine in it. It is not butchered, one day maybe someone...not me will change it back. It even has the nifty steel wheels instead of the wobbly wires. I really loved that car.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior

Jolly Roger, Sounds like it's a great car. I like em if they are
not hacked up. Ive been restoring a bn7 tri carb for the past 2 years (even has the disc wheels you mentioned)
Be cool......Blueridge 1