• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

used wiring Harness, plugs wanted

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Does anyone have a used wiring harness and wants to sell the plugs that go into the tach and spedo and the plugs for the PDWA and Hazard lamp, I will take any or all

PM me

thanks
Hondo

dklawson

Yoda
Hondo, take a look at britishwiring.com for bulb holders for the tach and speedo. (Catalog page link is below).
https://www.britishwiring.com/CAT16_17.PDF

On the last new harness I bought it came with bulb holders for the new type lamps that push in. (Type 612 on the page linked above). They worked OK and of course... you can buy replacement bulbs for that at your local auto parts store.

I did not see that they had the PDWA plug but you could always call and ask them. They do have items that are not in the catalog. If they do not have the plug, try the search feature on the board looking for old PDWA threads. There is a Ford or GM switch that is interchangeable with the PDWA switch. Once you know what car the American part comes from, you should be able to source a new plug from a car dealer.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
thanks, I just ordered my brown yellow wire that needs replacing and the black wraping tape, next is to take the alternator off and have it checked, and hopefully I can get someone to sell me the original sockets, I got one reply so far. Just makes me sick, hopefully all the other wires will be ok

Hondo

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hondo,

Take a look at this for your PDWA connector. It's better than the factory setup.

Attachments

• 26908.jpg
    26908.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 26909.jpg
    26909.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 26910.jpg
    26910.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 217
  • 26911.jpg
    26911.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 220
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
thanks Paul but I am looking for the bulb holders, the old metal ones, specifically the bulb holders that go into the 2 red lights in the middle of the dash between the tach and spedo, and the ign lamp, the hi beam, the turn signal and the oil pressure lamp, the new plastic ones I dont care for and if I can get some I will splice them in to my new harness, I think thats part of the issue

thanks
Hondo

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Why would you put used ones in with ALL the work you have done to that car?
Do the ones that BW sell come in metal?

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
no all the new ones including from British Wiring are plastic bases with the metal spring clip that goes into the gauge. when you try to pull the base out to replace the bulb the metal spring clip separates from the plastic base and stays in the gauge, so the only solution is to replace them with old metal ones, at this point I dont mind splicing them in since I will still have the correct color wires., Maybe I will take a photo of the plastic ones and post, but having said that, the plastic is all thats available now. so if you plan on replacing your harness I suggest you keep your old bulb sockets and replace them on the new harness before you install it in your car. Unfortunately my old harness was so mangled that I didnt have but 3 original bulb holders the rest were missing, thats why I am searching for help getting old ones. It is possible to put the old one in place with out splicing, its tedious but can be done, you just have to do some operating with tweesers and soldering and get that center contact out and solder the new wire on and pull it back into the housing. the outer wire is just soldered on the outside thats the easy one

Hondo

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They're all plastic,...well that sucks big ones.!

I kept mine when I did the Masters kit

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hondo PM me if you still need the sockets. I have a complete wire harness I took out of my 74. I'm not sure if they are metal or plastic. I think they are metal, it's been some time since I took it out. I can mail the sockets out Thursday.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
ok here are the new plastic bulb holders, that metal clip that holds the socket in the gauge is suppose to be in the plastic ring.

Hondo

Attachments

• 26923.jpg
    26923.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 114

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for the pic. ow I know what they've done.

Any chance there isn't another style of bulb holding that will fit those holes?

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
as far as I know and have been told, thats the only type supplied, and even the manufacturer is not happy but its all they can get. So unless you save your old ones and splice then in place or get some really good plastic/metal glue and glue them in, once you pull them out to replace the bulbs the metal clip part separates from the holder and it stays in the gauge or in my case the plastic parted ways with the metal clip from just driving.

Hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
here is the first repaired bulb holder, the Ign lamp, BY wire on the outside soldered to the holder and White on the inside you can see the old style holder below and you can get the center out if you are careful. but I will still have to use a butt connector on the white wire and heat shrink tubing but all wires will be correct color coded,

it is possible to pull the center contact out of the plastic housing, but the center contact is crimped so there is no way to pull it out and re crimp so you would still end up doing a butt joint somewhere in the harness

Hondo

Attachments

• 26934.jpg
    26934.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 92
OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
here is a photo of the center contact out of the plastic holder and it shows the spring that puts tension on the bulb

Hondo

Attachments

• 26935.jpg
    26935.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 89