• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Use PCV or just cap and vent?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Just use a breather or put the lower assembly back on as shown on part #60 and related bits?

TRI-009.gif

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My opinion : Go with the road draft tube unless you want to re-engineer the PCV system. The factory PCV didn't work very well, and tends to force oil out the rear main seal (unless you have one of the modern lip-type seals installed).

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have an extra road draft tube, and if I can convince myself that I can get the plug out of the block, without pulling the engine, I'll probably install it. I'm thinking that I might be able to drill a hole (with a right--angle drill) in the plug, and use a lag bolt as a puller to extract it.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
I may have one in the boxes o'parts that came with the fleet. Feel free to rummage around in the 4. If not, the motor that went to Mac had one on it and I doubt they use the stock type on race motors.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
sail said:
I wonder if this Internal Pipe Wrench might help get that sucker out.

Hmm, the 1" type B just might grab inside, depending on how much depth it needs.

I also came up with an alternate idea I might try first. I'm thinking that a 1" bolt might thread into the inside of the plug, then allow some leverage to be applied. I don't have anything that size laying around, so I'll have to pick one up first.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Yea, worth a shot. It wouldn't dare just screw out against some big washers.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
sail said:
Yea, worth a shot. It wouldn't dare just screw out against some big washers.

That was my thought with the lag bolt, but once I drill the plug, I'm pretty committed to getting it out! If I can get decent enough threads cut into the plug with a bolt, it might pull out that way, but it isn't all that deep, so it would probably need to be a one washer at at time process to have enough threads engaged.

Anyway, I'll pick up a couple to big bolts tomorrow if I get a chance, and report back!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My opinion again, you're not going to have any luck with anything that presses against the sides of the plug. The sides are already holding it in place, so any additional force will tend to lock it even tighter.

Are you going to drop the pan afterwards to clean away the swarf? Or just hope the oil filter does it's job?

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
TR3driver said:
My opinion again, you're not going to have any luck with anything that presses against the sides of the plug. The sides are already holding it in place, so any additional force will tend to lock it even tighter.

Are you going to drop the pan afterwards to clean away the swarf? Or just hope the oil filter does it's job?

Yes, I'm assuming I would need to drop the pan, as much of a pain as it is.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just some food for thought, this wouldn't require removing the plug or dropping the pan. No effect on mixture, and according to the builder it absolutely stops rear main leaks (by carrying negative crankcase pressure even at full throttle). He thinks it might even be good for another bhp or two
grin.gif

CVS-T34001.jpg

And with any luck, it actually reduces emissions considerably.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Darrell_Walker said:
I have an extra road draft tube, and if I can convince myself that I can get the plug out of the block, without pulling the engine, I'll probably install it. I'm thinking that I might be able to drill a hole (with a right--angle drill) in the plug, and use a lag bolt as a puller to extract it.

Darrell,

mtlman8 just did this recently and I believe had a rough time with it in while in the car so you should search for that thread. I did mine when I rebuilt the engine since the prior owner had already removed the PCV valve and replaced the valve cover with an earlier TR4 non-vented model and I don't recall it being that difficult with a stripped block out of the car.

Scott

Murieta

That PCV gizmo is just good to gunk plugs and valves. Road draft is not very clean either.
I use a 2 pt oil canister with a tube to the rocker cover and one to the former emplacment of the petrol pump. Road draft is plugged.
Works OK.