• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Uprated axles for wire wheel hubs/Frontline Spridg

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I just got my high strength axles and double bearing hub from the UK. I tried to get a set from The Winners Circle, but they only have them for the bolt-on wheel hubs. Thus the order from the MG Owners Club in the UK (Frontline Spridget is their parts scheme). The parts are VERY nice, high quality machining and reasonable price also, although the shipping ate up the cost advantage. Still it's the only way to get the job done for a 100+ HP engine. I could have gone with bolt-on wires, but prefer the old fashioned look, after all I am building a replica....

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome.

I agree...the real knock offs look better.

I break at least 4 (stock) axles a year so I understand the desire to improve them. I'm running the double-bearing hubs too...otherwise I'd break three times that amount. I have resisted buying the race axles due to cost (and I keep finding stock axles for free or very cheap).

Actually, the standard wire wheel axles are made different than the bolt-on axles and are much stronger anyway.
They are made in two pieces and are pressed onto a large spline (just like the racing axles). I just missed a chance to buy two cheaply.

A popular racer-trick in the old days was to get the wire wheel axles and cut off the spline end. There is still a plate with the 4 X 4" pattern on the wire wheel axle that will fit the bolt-on hub.

My problem with the basic Spridget axle is the oil seals (at least in a racing application). I have tried a number of "solutions" but continue to end up with oily brakes. This Winter, I'm planning on setting up a narrowed Mazda RX-7 rear in the car (so I can get an LSD, good seals, rear disk brakes and good axles all at once.

Please post a picture of your car in "Member's Rides". I'm sure many of us would like to see it.

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I would love to post a picture, but my car is in a big box on the high seas someware. The kit should be at my place in LA in mid Nov. At this point I am just rebuilding components in preparation for arrival. That way I need only bolt in the sub-assemblies to have a rolling chassis. However I will post a pic of my "Big Box o'Car" when it arrives. For more info on the kit go to: <westfieldeleven.com>

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Nope, LHD, but with the Le Mans tail fin. I was tempted by RHD, but after a lot of thought went with LHD for the simple reason of avoiding scaring my better half when pulling out to pass on narrow roads. If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!!!
It will be Lotus yellow with a green racing stripe and trim around the air intake in the nose. Interior will be forest green with yellow piping. Car will come with yellow gel coat, doors and interior installed and all bodywork fitted to tube chassis. All wiring is factory installed except the engine and instrument harness which is a factory made item for me to install. I have to bolt on the Spridget front & rear suspension, brakes and engine. I am using a Rivergate kit for the Datsun 5-speed and APT is building me a fast road engine on a .60" over 1275 block for 1330cc and 85 to 90 RWHP. Should be exciting in an 1100 pound car.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
....If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!!!....

Oh Brother! You got *that* right!

Sounds like a great little car...looking forward to hearing the progress (we have a Westfield, with wire wheels, that has come to some of our Time Trial events....I'll try to find a picture of it).

OP
Westfield_XI

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
If the one that comes to your meets has open front wheels it is a Lotus 7 replica. mine will be an 11 replica, this has fully enclosed bodywork with a Le Mans tail fin behind the drivers head. Similar chassis, by very different cars.