• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Upholstery Shop or DIY

TR3pilot

Country flag
Hi guys,

I'ts time to do a little work on the inside of the TR3 and am trying to decide on seats. Right now all I have are the frames and the spring base, both in decent condition although the frames could do with a painting. MY option are to 1) buy cover kit from Moss 2 ) Local upholstery shop 3 ) DIY job.
Like all things cost and time are a factor. I'd love to go to a local guy and get them make up and cover the seats for me, has anybody gone this route? Any idea what this should cost say for vinyl?

I'm near LA/San Diego so has anybody a shop they could recommend or an online guy perhaps?

Thanks

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
I have an article on 4A seats on the BCF home page that might help you.

If you do this yourself don't underestimate the time you will spend on learning new techniques and the cost of materials like glue, padding etc.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I bought a complete interior from TRF, as I was getting it all in leather (including dash, cappings and door panels) and and figured that if I got it all at once, the match on the leather would be good, which is was. I also got the horse hair and padding kits. The process was pretty easy and straightforward, the hardest part was repairing the steel seat bottoms and replacing the wooden tack strips. My seat springs were in very good shape. I used staples instead of tacks.

Redoing the seats yourself is very doable.

12582.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Art - that looks fantastic. Congratulations.

If someone has never done upholstery work, did the TRF kits include clear "start to finish" step by step instructions?

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'ts time to do a little work on the inside of the TR3 and am trying to decide on seats. Right now all I have are the frames and the spring base, both in decent condition although the frames could do with a painting. MY option are to 1) buy cover kit from Moss 2 ) Local upholstery shop 3 ) DIY job.
Like all things cost and time are a factor. I'd love to go to a local guy and get them make up and cover the seats for me, has anybody gone this route? Any idea what this should cost say for vinyl?

I'm near LA/San Diego so has anybody a shop they could recommend or an online guy perhaps?

Thanks

Check out ebay vendor 2talltr3.I think the prices for covers are very low.He offers vinyl or leather ,even the backs in leather if you want
.I have seen the Moss seats and they are slightly nicer but more expensive. I went for complete seats because my frames were shot.I called direct and gave him my credit info and he charged less the ebay fees. If you want he also makes the other interior panels,but I wound up getting them from trf on sale.
Tom

59Rob

Country flag
I bought a complete interior from TRF, as I was getting it all in leather (including dash, cappings and door panels) and and figured that if I got it all at once, the match on the leather would be good, which is was. I also got the horse hair and padding kits. The process was pretty easy and straightforward, the hardest part was repairing the steel seat bottoms and replacing the wooden tack strips. My seat springs were in very good shape. I used staples instead of tacks.

Redoing the seats yourself is very doable.

View attachment 31144

That looks fantastic, is that the bright red they were selling at one time? I don't even see TR3 interiors on their web site anymore?

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TRf online is confusing,but if you type tr3 seats into the search you should come to mini web catalog that shows them.

Tom

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
too tall makes seats also, but as long as your frames are not really rotted, you can repair them. The advantage of too tall is that he will make any color you want. See my picture . I have bought from MOSS, others and too tall and I think his rate up with the rest. interior 1.jpg
Jerry

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
That looks fantastic, is that the bright red they were selling at one time? I don't even see TR3 interiors on their web site anymore?

Thanks, I got that leather from TRF maybe eight years ago. It's generally pretty bright, but if you get it in an overcast day, the color seems to calm down.

8110C1.JPG

59Rob

Country flag
Thanks, I got that leather from TRF maybe eight years ago. It's generally pretty bright, but if you get it in an overcast day, the color seems to calm down.

View attachment 31150

I would like mine to be quite a bright red, almost lip stick red. Mine is the traditional red, quite dark really so hopefully I can get something brighter next time.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I am currently restoring my TR4 and two weeks ago I did the seats with a bright red leather kit from TRF.

For the most part the instructions that I got with the original style padding kit were fine.

I took one seat apart and restored it prior to starting the other and took a lot of detailed photos as I took each seat apart.

I also did some internet research and thought it was relatively easy compared to some of the comments I found. Unlike some of the comments, I did not find it was difficult to get the seat back down over the frame and padding.

100_0273.jpg

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

Attachments

• 100_0270.jpg
    100_0270.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 59

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
One more thing when doing the seats or having them done. If you are 6 foot or over, the top of your head will be above the windshield unless you shave the bottom of the seats. IE: sit lower and protect your head!
Jerry

59Rob

Country flag
That does look like a very bright red, I like it. Hard to tell with camera shots though, I just painted the engine bay and jambs on a car I'm building and in pictures it looks all kinds of different colors and none that are spot on.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
59Rob

If you are referring to what appears to be different colors of red on my TR4 interior, that is not the case.

There are 4 different red materials in the photo; leather seat surfaces, vinyl seat sides and interior panels, fuzzy door seals (whatever they are made of), and seat belts.

A visual look under both sun and incandescent lighting, all the red looks like the seat color, except the seats are not as shiny as the picture shows.

It must be the way the flash reflects off the different materials, especially from that fuzzy door seal material.

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi