• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Unusual TR Commission Numbers

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I thought of this today when reading “How do you know if it's a tr3 or tr3a" see https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...tr3_#Post488032

"and the tag under the hood near the battery box says TS33070L 59"

As far as the side screen TR's are concerned (normal production cars that is) they started with the first TR2, numbered TS1 through the last TR3A, TS83572 and TR3B's TSF1 through TSF530 and TCF1 through TCF2804. Theses commission numbers were stamped onto the plate. A suffix "L" was added for "left handed steering". If the car had overdrive fitted an "O" was added. For example TS58472 O for home market with over drive or TS58428 LO for overdrive, left-handed steering.

I am aware of only one other example of additional numbers or letters being added to a commission number (normal production taking place in England and not CKD for assembly elsewhere). I believe that Don E has the prefix "8" before the TS on the commission number plate of his 59 TR3A. Don has owned this TR since he bought it new 50 years ago! From what Don has indicated this “8” was added after the car arrived in Canada. I have also read that Canadian cars had a prefix letter, indicating the province to which they were originally delivered. For example, a “Q” for Quebec, an “O” for Ontario, and so forth. I have not seen this and I can tell you that Don’s car has no “Q” before the “TS”, only and “8”.

I realize that this may seen trivial, but I find this sort of detail very interesting. So, I was wondering if anyone else has extra characters on their commission plate or an otherwise unusual example.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Frank,

Nothing extra on any of the plates on my TR6.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I don't believe its added directly to the commission number, but I've seen a few cars with an extra number plate which starts with STC. I know they existed for TR3A and TR4s, but not sure of other cars. I thought I read this was for cars titled in California, can anyone confirm?

Randy

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My Sports 6 had an STC plate. The STC plate does seem to be a west coast phenomenon; but it's not clear it was only cars titled in CA. Possibly it was only cars handled by Cal Auto (which would include Az, NM, NV, etc.) or something like that. The S6 had a NM title when I got it (but I never tried to learn the car's history, so it might have originally been titled in CA).

They also were only applied for a few years, starting around 1960 and ending around 1965 or 66 I believe. Somewhere around there, the Feds started requiring that all cars be marked by the manufacturer with date of manufacture (for compliance with safety standards, smog, etc.) so the STC plates were no longer needed.

Has anyone seen an STC earlier than 1960, or later than 1965?

(Sorry for the poor picture quality ... now I know why that camera was only $40)

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The pre-fix numeral "8" that I have on mine refers to 1958, the year it was imported into Canada and also the year I bought it.

My TR3A (TS 27489 LO) is stamped as shown.

Attachments

• 12514.jpg
    12514.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 154

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Has anyone seen an STC earlier than 1960, or later than 1965?

Not me, I just looked at a 60 TR3a with one, as well as a 63 TR4.

Randy