• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Unexpected Parts Money Windfall - Suggestions?

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Hey guys

Due to a far higher influx of cash into my pocket this month than has usually been the case, I feel like celebrating by purchasing some high end MG parts.

From work,(commission, salary, and paid vacation) and working in the family fireworks tent, after rent and bills, I aim to be well into the $$$.

This is what I am contemplating: (pending outcome of my motor at the machine shop)

Courtesy of Brit-TEk
- Major Engine Rebuild Kit
- 1950cc Piston Kit
- Head Update Kit
- Piper Magnum/2 HR285 Cam Kit
- Peco Exhaust and Header
- New Rocker Assy.
- Ultimate Ignition Kit

Also, Im contemplating utilizing my parent's dealers discount at MOSS to purchase the MGB Supercharger.

I am definitely wanting to go with a Rivergate conversion, as I have already accquired the Datsun tranny needed.

A few questions though.

1)Has anyone has experience with the MOSS charger in a street/race application. I want to make sure it is just as effective with the engine mod's that Im considering as it appears to be bolted to a stock motor. Any insights?

2) Any other performance mod suggestions? Im currently awaiting a copy of Peter Burgess' book, so hopefully that will answer some questions as well.

And 3) Does anyone have any experience with a MOSS charged motor mated with a 5-speed conversion? If so, which conversion did you perform, and did you feel it was worth it?

Sorry the post was so long guys. Thanks for your time!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Zack,
Most of your proposed modifications should work well with the blower. At the power levels you are considering, I would definitely consider some sturdy pistons, maybe forged, not over 8.5:1 compression ratio, polishing & shot peening the rods, Magnafluxing the rods & crankshaft, & balancing everything.

O ringing the headgasket sealing surface around the bores is good insurance.

There is some advantage to selecting a "blower" type cam grind. Something that opens the intake valve earlier & closes it earlier, in relation to the exhaust timing. (Advanced intake timing, dual pattern cam) You may wish to drive the blower a little faster than standard IF the lower end is taken care of as above. It will help compliment the larger displacement.

Larger valves & good flowing ports will take maximum advantage of the blower & increased displacement. With a blower, you will have much more low & midrange torque so don't need to turn really high rpm to get the power. Torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants. A couple of ranges colder sparkplugs. Fairly rich carb mixture especially at higher boost levels.

I know the blower is supposed to just bolt on, but these modifications will make it much more effective.

The 5 speed is frosting on the cake, because the additional torque created by the blower gives a wider torque band & the 5 speed will likely just give more top speed.

Finally, you might need/benefit from some sort of boost retard control on the ignition timing. This will give you the best of the two worlds without compromise timing.

Whole lot of bucks to do it right.

If you don't end up putting the blower on, the suggested modifications, with exception of the last, & the cam timing, will still give a very reliable, good performing engine.

Have fun,
D

Steve_S

Yoda
Can't really add anything to that reply except to recommend reading through the Supercharger forum on the MG Enthusiasts' site. Lots and lots of info there both current and in the archives. Supercharging is still in the experimental stages with MGBs, especially when you're talking about building up the engine as well. Consider making modest upgrades and see how it goes, then bump things up later on if you feel you really need to. Boring to 1950 is entirely possible to do without problems but it leaves no room for later boring, so this may be the last rebuild you will get out of the block. I'd get the block inspected as well to make sure it's sound before going that far. Last thing you want is cylinder flex and cracks. Good luck and keep us posted!

lawguy

Jedi Knight
A 1950cc kit and a supercharger? Wow, I applaud your courage!