• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

under bonnet prep

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Anyone give me newbie advice (or point me to an earlier thread) on cleaning up inside the engine compartment? Mine hasn't been cleaned/steamed since at least 1998; I'd like it to look as good as possible for shows, including polishing up the painted innards once I've got it clean. Thanks.
Tom

Here's the view now:

76868-before.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Tom -

Yours looks better than most I've seen!

If you get some spray-on degreaser, let it soak a bit, and then pressure wash it (be sure to cover the distributer and carb), I imagine you'd get some pretty good results from that.

Also, I noticed the bolts in the head where the air rail was connected. You can go to your local fastener supply house and get some short allen screws to go in there - standard thread to match the bolts, and give it a more finished look.

Mickey

A

aerog

If it's really dirty, and oily - or worse that oily dirt scum they tend to get - then use either Simple Green or Gunk (or similar) and let it sit 10 minutes then spray off. Be sure to wrap your distributor and plug wires with saran-wrap, or something similar - that keeps at least the direct water off the electrical items. You might consider doing the same to the fusebox, and if you don't have the big rubber cover on the starter then that too. I use a fan-pattern spray on a hose (some pressure, not a lot). Rinse - rinse - and rerinse.

Let the whole thing dry then start waxing the painted areas of the bodywork, including around the engine, radiator, and parts of the hood. You can use a one-step cleaner-wax here if you like, but I start with meguiar's paint cleaner then move up from there, just as if I'm detailing the outside of the car. I've been using Meguiar's #20 by itself or topped with #26, NXT would probably be good too.

If you want to use dressing on the rubber parts you might want to do it before waxing. I use 303 Aerospace protectant and/or Meguiar's NXT Protectant.

Once all that is done I go over any chrome parts with Flitz (if it's in bad need for it), or a lightweight maintenance cleaner like Mother's Chrome Polish (liquid).

If you have problems with water spots and need to wash the car before your show be sure to cover the engine compartment area with a sheet, and tuck it in where you can. It'll help keep a lot of the water from splashing around the hood and onto the hard-to-reach paintwork.

These pictures didn't make it into my detailing threads on Autopia last year, they're not that great - but that's how mine ended up last year when I was done.

mge-1.jpg

mge-2.jpg

mge-3.jpg

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone give me newbie advice (or point me to an earlier thread) on cleaning up inside the engine compartment?

[/ QUOTE ]

All what they said and lots and lots of hours and bloody knuckles. But when done it is worth it.