• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 U-Joints Comparison, TR4 vs. TR6

dklawson

Yoda
This is a question that is both a request for measurements and perhaps a request for a "mooch". Here's the story.

In addition to our GT6, I also own an early Mini. My particular Mini uses U-joints on the inner end of its front axle half shafts. This special u-joint from Quinton-Hazel (forgive spelling) is called a QL-5000 and it has nylon hubs molded over the u-joint bearing cups.

See:
https://operationmini.com/gallery/albums/album03/QL5000.sized.jpg
(picture courtesy of my friend Terry in Canada)
The QL-5000 is shown on the left, a 1960s alternative "kit" is shown on the right.

The problem is the QL-5000 parts are NLA and going for serious money on eBay when they surface. If you damage the spider portion of the u-joint, I've been told that you can use the spider out of a TR6 u-joint as a replacement with your original nylon mounted cups.

During the 1960s some racing Minis were outfitted with hard mounted u-joints where the nylon around the cups was replaced with steel. (See the parts on the right in the jpg link above). My friend in Canada says these cups were made to accept standard TR4 u-joints. Now to my questions.

1) Are TR4 and TR6 u-joints dimensionally the same?
2) Are both types of u-joints still available and if so, is there a big difference in cost?
3) And lastly, most of us LBC owners have kept old parts that we'll likely never use. Are there any of you out there with worn out TR4 and/or TR6 u-joints (with bearing cups) who would consider parting with one of them for the cost of shipping?

I'd like to see what would be involved in making a set of the steel cups to allow me to use the TR parts for the Mini. Ideally I'll be able to come up with drawings that would allow a parts supplier to offer these as a kit replacement since the QL-5000 parts are NLA.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
The u-joints used in the TR4 are the same as the ones in the TR6. These parts are available for about $20 on-line or from major parts houses like NAPA. Buying one from NAPA is probably as cheap as the cost of shipping. I had a bunch when I replaced then on my 6 a couple of months ago, but alas, I tossed them.

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks for the reply and the information. I've opened a parallel dialogue on a Mini forum where a couple of people have the steel cups. If there is enough interest I'll model these parts and provide them drawings so the Mini community can use the TR parts to keep our Minis on the road.

Based on your comments I went to the Advance Auto (PartsAmerica) web site and found the following:
https://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/aap/nep/1-0005cr.jpg
... a dimensioned part drawing right on the internet. Ain't technology great! I found a less expensive (GMB brand) part at Advance Auto. Based on what's available in the stores I'll take your advice and pick one of these up.

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
Update and Conclusion:
I received the TR6 driveshaft u-joints from PartsAmerica.com. As mentioned above, the Mini from 1959 to 1973 used a u-joint with conical bits pressed onto the metal bearing cups. Using very minimal pressure from a vise I was able to remove the old Mini u-joint bearing cups from the nylon cones and quickly reverse the procedure to install the Triumph u-joints. The process couldn't have been simpler. Thanks for the help TR6oldtimer!