• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Two questions on side curtain installation???

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
1) any step by step tips on installing the brackets onto the doors?

2) Dsuz brackets painted or chromed. I've seen alot of these being chromed, but understand that they were originally painted in a "hammered" silver color. I've cleaned mine up and they definitely were not chrome. Any advise on what paint to get? Anybody that has just polished them and left them bare metal...which I'm considering...just not sure how quickly they will rust. So far on the work bench, no signs of rust coming up yet and they look like stainless steel when polished.
Thanks, Joe

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
1. Assuming you mean the bracket holds that are screwed into the door itself - for me that was trial and error. No easy way I know of.

2. I read here on BCF and in Piggott that the bracket (on my model) was painted, so I used an aluminum (matte) finish. You could probably also just use bare polished metal, as long as you spray with a clear protective coat to prevent oxidation.

Just my two shekelim.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah - trial and error though that's not so easy when you're drilling or cutting vinyl. You can get a pretty fair idea of location by offering the curtain up to the door with the brackets not on there and noting the angles of the arms and the specific location of the Dzus wire. You'll need a helper and hopefully have the hood installed.

I had my brackets plated in an unpolished nickel at the same time I had the rest of the chrome done. I think it gives a suitable and durable finish. Was cheap as part of a bigger job, might be expensive as a 'onesy'.

Not such a good pic, but one I had --

Inside.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A follow up regarding trial placement: As you move the side curtain around, try to get the rubber seals around the window frame to be in the correct location regarding the hood and windscreen "pockets".

Ask me how I know.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
1) Mount the screen to the brackets using the dzeus fasteners.
2) Position the assembly carefully into place on the door.
3) Install the hood.
4) Move the assembly as necessary to align the forward edge of the screen with the front windscreen post.
5) ensure the upper and rear lip of the screen will tuck into the hood flap on the top and rear.
6) When satisfied, drill and install your screws without disrupting the screen position.

It sounds like you have a handle on the original treatment for the brackets. Rattle can paint is easy to touch up when scratched. Plating would be the most durable by far. Do not leave bare steel!

Country flag
I cheat, I install the brackets on the doors before I install the door panels. That way I can see and use the original screw holes. If the curtains fit I Will install the door panels and use a long drift to find holes before I install brackets.

Marv

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Unless there is some contamination that you didn't get off, the bare steel will quickly rust. No way would I leave it bare.

As a side note, not that anyone asked; the early "wedge mount" brackets were chromed.

PKPoole

Country flag
Hey Joe,
Merry Christmas. On the brackets; trial and error with the top up. BTW, on my red TR3 I used POR15 paint. The stuff is indestructible. On the latest (Black) one I just finished, I went Chrome. But, on that car the motif was; if it wasn't painted black, or covered in black leather, it was chromed!. You should come over sometime and check it out. Pat