• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tunebug vs MGB, initial thoughts

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So I've had the MGB for a couple weeks now, and have a few hundred miles on it. I've driven it back-to-back a few times with the Tunebug as well and have some initial thoughts on the two cars. So, in no particular order:

* The MGB weights 600# or so more, and you can really feel it. Good, in that it's more comfortable and less twitchy. Bad, as it is noticeably less responsive in the twisties. MGB = Cadillac, Tunebug = sportbike. Okay, not that bad, but it feels it when switching back and forth.

* The extra CCs matter -- I believe the MGB is stock, and the Tunebug is no where near stock. That extra torque can be felt.

* Full throttle and shifting at 6k in the Tunebug is unbelievably fun. Addicting. I want more.

* Roll up windows, leg room, shoulder room, comfy seats -- these things may have a future.

* RHD really is fun, though in the end not as noticeable once you are underway.

* You can really tell that the cars share DNA. So much of the mechanicals feel familiar on the MGB. Same sort of world at 125% of the size.

* Overdrive is not overrated.

* Never really understood how light the steering in the Tunebug is until I drove the MGB.

* My wife loves the Tunebug, but not to ride in. She's already been for more rides in the MGB than in the Tunebug -- she has not even ridden in the Tunebug since I got him back on the road last year.

I was surprised at how different the two cars are. Neither is better, but different. I admit that in the beginning I was prepared for the MGB to replace the Tunebug (more space and the OD are *really* nice). I also really like more stock vehicles, and the MGB doesn't need much more than some tuning to be modern-usable, while the Tunebug has taken lots of work to be usable here in the mountains.

If I really had to choose, I'm not sure which I'd pick. Luckily, neither is worth so much that I have a need to choose -- a benefit of liking cars at the low end of the price spectrum. I do believe they will both stay.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Drew,
In my early days, and I mean a long time ago, like when electricity was new, I first had a couple of MGAs. First I had a 1600, and it was sort of comfortable on the freeway, except for the expansion strips. I could sort of take long trips, like 200 miles and live to tell about it. Transmission had a terrible gap between 2nd and 3rd. Bump steer just made driving fun.
I then "graduated" to the BE. I remember thinking at the time it was like putting on a glove....with respects to OJ...if that is possible....and it handled as such. The car revs like there is no tomorrow, unlike the MGAs which were stressed out at anything over 4500 rpm.
Each has its place.
My life has been trying to find the "ideal" sports car. I've had british, italian, german, japanese.....and have yet to find one. The Miata SC I recently sold was close, but still not too fun on the longer trips....maybe it had to do with the competition springs, etc. The Porsche 911, 1980, was a brut, and could tear up the road, but a real handful on the slow stuff. The big healey was great on the highways, but would scream on the slow corners. The Alfa Spider had bubble gum for a chassis, looked great, had good mechanicals, but was weird in the corners. So I am back to the BE, with my new 5-speed almost ready to stuff in.
Cheers to you all
Scott in CA

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Nice comparisons from both Drew and Scott, I have had Sprites and MGBs and I agree with your assessment of both. The B really feels like a barge compared to a Sprite, but it is oh so much more spacious and comfortable, like all the extra size of the car is in the cockpit or something. I think Bs are a nice car to drive, and sporty too, but compare to a Sprite and, well I start to repear what Drew and said already.

I too am looking for that one ideal sports car. I had had Sprites, B and B GT, TR4A, AH100, TR250.

Sprite: As stated great handling, nimble, can be made to go pretty well with mods to the very hot roddable A series motor, but somewhat cramped these days and buzzy.

Bs: I loved my BGT, great highway car, great utility with the hatchback, not as nimble as a Sprite

4a (with overdrive) Great highway car, decent handling, but kind of tall and tippy to do transitions well, but I have very fond memories of the 4A, rugged as heck, always would start and get me there. Didn't like the feel of the rigid suspension coupled with flexible frame.

Healey 100 Classic lines, big four torque, but whole different era and feel, still a blast to drive and nice to cruise in, but don't get caught in the rain or cold, terrible weather protection, but it made me feel special just to drive it.

TR250 Built this car, my current one, to be that ideal all-arounder. Love the power and torque, great ride compared to the live axle cars, I am modifying to get good handling, but not sure how far I am can get from the "tall narrow and tippy" feel it has compared to the Big and little healeys and the MGB.
Comfortable tourer, wife loves it.

O yeah, honorable mention, generation one RX7, great car, tossable, 7000 RPM redline, smooth revving, smooth ride, great highway with the 5 speed, etc. But not British and not a convertible, but great all arounder.

Though about a Jensen Healey, maybe it would fit the bill as the all around classice sportscar? Have driven them, they are pretty nice. Have a friend with a Rover V8 in a BGT, that is a very nice car in every respect, but he spent major bucks to get there.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yep, the DNA sure seems similar to me too. My MGB feels like a scaled up Spridget in many respects. And that's a good thing. My B could use new lever shocks. Also, I love the way the banjo steering looks (It's a '69) but it feels too big to me. I'd like a thicker, smaller-diameter wheel. Those simple changes would go a long way to improving it, but I haven't has the time. Knock-off Minilites would be nice too.

I had O/D in my old TR3 and it was neat, but the MGB never really sees any multi-lane highways here in NJ. So not such a big deal to do without it. I'm sure it's useful in the Square States.

My daily drive is a second-gen Miata and to be objective, it's miles better as a street car than the MGB or a Spridget. And considering it's over 40 years newer, that's as it should be.

My B was more of an accidental purchase (I was buying wheels from a racing friend and he said, "Hey, how'd you like to buy my wife's MG while you're here?. She never drives it anymore.") I may keep it; I'm not sure.

There are other cars I'm intested in. I'd like to own a Ford Model T. And I've never owned a street Lotus Seven (or clone). Plus those Speedster replicas are the bee's knees. But in the long run, I'd really like a trick box-Spridget street car. And a new Miata. We'll see.....

Yesterday at my house.

mg-sprite-miata.jpg

V

vagt6

Of all my cars over the years, the most fun to drive was my '70 Triumph GT6. Yes, it's: too small; too loud; too rattly, too bumpy, etc. But for pure driving fun, no other car beats it in my experience.

Not as comfy as an MGB, but handled very well and had plenty of power, for me. Always a crowd-pleaser. I love the MK II styling, it's so British!

This one was not stock, but had engine mods rendering around 125HP or so. J-type OD made her a decent top end car, too:

[img:center]
vagt6side.jpg
[/img]

There's no other car like a GT6! :yesnod:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm not so much looking for the perfect sports car as enjoying sampling some different ones. I'd love to try an Alfa some day, but the GTs and early cars I like are all above my price range now. A T-series MG would be fun as well, but I'm not sure I'd like the lower speeds. Even with all of our great (and close) roads here, there is still some unavoidable freeway work.

Having something that my wife likes to ride in is a definite plus. For now I'm enjoying feeling like a *very* low-rent Jay Leno with my little fleet of cars.
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Alfa GTV next, Drew. :wink:

And an S-3 Elan after. :devilgrin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
Also, I love the way the banjo steering looks (It's a '69) but it feels too big to me. I'd like a thicker, smaller-diameter wheel.
Funny, my B has a Mountney steering wheel, smaller diameter with thick rim in Leather. I don't like it and want a larger, narrower rimmed one. Too bad we can't trade, I believe the hubs are different.

DrEntropy said:
Alfa GTV next, Drew. :wink:

And an S-3 Elan after. :devilgrin:
Alfa GTV is on my list, Doc. Just need to save up for a few decades. They're not as cheap as they used to be.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Drew said:
Alfa GTV is on my list, Doc. Just need to save up for a few decades. They're not as cheap as they used to be.

Too true... I blame th' innernet thingie for it. :smirk:

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I've not had the opportunity to drive a MGB that was in good shape. The bucket i drove was a much more exciting ride than it was supposed to be. :wink:

I would add the Triumph Spitfire into the same general category as the spridgets. They're a heck of a lot of seat of the pants fun from 0 - 70, but not a comfortable distance cruiser. Someonementioned the Jensen Healey. Those are wonderful on the windy roads, have tons of pep, and are nicely balanced. They also have a lot ofroom(it's actually longer/wider then a Miata). The doWnside on the, is thefinal gear ratio which makes road trips painful. 70 mph = 3,000+ rpms. Now, putadecent 5 speed in there and it'sa totally different animal.

My absolute favorite all around spprts car has to be the Porsche 944. Tractable as a daily driver, comfortable on long drives, 50/50 weight distribution, equally fun on windy roads and stfraightaways. Had one as my daily driver for a number of years. Would buy another one in a heartbeat if the costs of the Turbo version in good repair weren't rising so quickly.

Jody

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
aeronca65t said:
My B was more of an accidental purchase (I was buying wheels from a racing friend and he said, "Hey, how'd you like to buy my wife's MG while you're here?. She never drives it anymore.") I may keep it; I'm not sure.
Bruce tried selling that B to Erica a couple times...should have picked it up.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
ChrisS said:
aeronca65t said:
Bruce tried selling that B to Erica a couple times...should have picked it up.

And we BOTH missed the E-type he sold.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">That</span> was the <span style="text-decoration: underline">real</span> steal.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Well, I don't have near the background some of you guys have (yet).

Opel GT, was fairly peppy (modded), fairly good handling, very unique and drop dead gorgeous. Not a convertible and horribly uncomfortable (hot) and I fought fumes in the cabin the whole time I owned it. But it was pretty and "obscure" and that was cool. 4 speed, 'buzzy" at modern highway speeds over extended periods.

Midget, '63, super fun to drive and tinker with, not good for long haul (I don't mind, wife sure did), not good in weather, "dangerous" in modern traffic. But awesome pedigree, very good looking, and absolute pure joy to motor in on gorgeous summer days/nights.

Fiat x1/9 (current daily driver). Fuel Injection-that's good, low maintanance. Good mileage (28 for me, others do better). Removable stowable targa is nice, comfortable, 5 speed is nice for highway, very fun to dive, handles like no other car I've owned, by far and away spanks the daylights out of anything on the twisties. Needs more HP though and mine leaks like a screen door on a submarine (bad windshield replacement at some point).

Favorite so far is (was) the Midget but too impracticle for a guy who needs to run his toys as transportation in all weather (yes, frigid Michigan winters too). Opel wasn't around long enough to test out in the winter (lady crashed into it for me). Fiat has proven a good mix. With an engine transplant it would probably be one of the best little "usable" two seaters ever. Not that the engine is bad, it isn't, very tough high revving and solid, just needs more HP. I took it through a very twisty trail road yesterday, 15mph official limit and I hammered the daylights out of it, very very fun, in that situation the engine is perfect, it's on a long straight where there isn't enough (is there ever?).

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
MGBs are girlie man cars.
They corner like drunken sows plowing every chance they get.
Lots of low end power for those fearful of revving an engine.
Gawd it's so soft it's embarrassing.
LOVE to cruise in it with the ol lady by my side but that's about it.
Chick car.
:jester:

All kidding aside I do like the B...I just LOVE the Bugeye.
I'd never mod out the wife's B. She hates the BE. First time
it stalled coming off the line was enough for her. Stupid car
I think was her comment.
I like the raw, bare bones nature of a Sprite. It's all business.

For us neither car is up to the task of daily driver.
Land Cruiser and Benz handle those chores.
Lovely shopping trips in the country with her friends...
the MGB is PERFECT.
Thrashing around and squealing tires....that'd be the BE.

Two VERY different cars from my vantage point.

I do understand a Pro driver would run over me in a Pinto
if I was in either LBC.
A Pro would beat me in her B and then switch cars and beat me in the BE.
The BE just feeds the Walter Mitty in me better.

I love both the MGB and the Spridget, but since I'm a larger than normal (keywords for fat) human :smile:. I prefer the MGB for a street car, and my new approach at my 67 GT engine is to get it to rev like a a 1275, so I went, lighten rods and crank and aluminum flywheel and added a 100ccs to the displacment, and 15" wheels which greatly increase the steering turn in, as for making it easier. I recently sold my Spridget race car, and will be starting on a 68 MGB GT race car, in fact it's the one Tony B started on and never finished, I fiquired it was a project I could finish for Tony and the car's name will be, what else, The Autoist.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You'll do that car proud, Hap.

I'm really working hard to be able to keep both cars long term -- driving each is so different, and keeping the Tunebug gives me an additional incentive to keep from getting larger-than-normal.
grin.gif

If all goes according to plan, you'll see the MGB engine some day, Hap. Would be fun to have a pair of ACME engines.

ABfish

Country flag
Hey guys. New forum member. Just purchased a '65 Sprite (yesterday, to be exact). I had to drive it about 20 miles from the car lot to my house, and I was grinning when I climbed out (maybe I should say extracted myself, even though I'm only 5'9".) Wife says, "You really like that thing, don't you." "Yes I do, after only one serious drive". I am really excited to have the little car, and can't wait to tinker with it. I learned to drive a manual trans 30 years ago in a '74 Midget, and I swear I was having flashbacks in the Sprite.

I guess this will also serve as my introduction to the forum. Looks like a great group with a ton of helpful info.

More to the OP, my "other car" is a Mini Cooper Clubman S. If anyone can top the Mini as a daily driver/fun car, bring it on. Fast, fun, fuel efficient, can carry 4 in a pinch. If you haven't driven a Mini S with an auto in Sport mode, you'll be surprised how good an automatic can be.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I hesitate to reply to this thread as I have never owned a Spridget. But have driven and owned multiple sporty cars. Some of my cars and rating as follows : Lotus Elan waaay up there in desirability and funness. Down side lack of serious chassis scared the **** out of me, felt like I was driving an egg (fragile), also maintenance, equal time driving and fixing. Fiat X1/9 fun to drive just 30 HP too few but nice handling. Porsche 914/6 fine auto, almost fast enough, great handling, down side $$$ german mechanics, ouch. TR3 overrated tractor, cute but not much else. AH3000 and 100/6 both so-so cars, really pretty but not much else! AH 100/4 totally different car from the 3000, basic fun motoring, should have kept that one. Tiger loved the first one enough to get another one to restore. Cobra replica, stupid car , socially unacceptable but outrageously fun. Old Vet the ultimate status car if you don't mind driving a "stone cart" , probably have this one forever. Series 1 Miata, does everything well but needs 20 more HP this one is also a keeper. MGB really nice drivers , love to find a rust free one to restore, likewise I enjoyed a few Spitfires both road cars and racers, nice lines but heavy maint. Bob

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I really like hearing people's impressions and experiences with different cars, like Drew I want to experience a wide variety of cars, x1/9 is on my list, good to hear experiences with those, one of the few things you can still get cheap.

Also would like a Volvo P1800 and a Saab Sonett and an Alfa GTV, as well as an E-type and a Daimler SP250 at some point in time.

If you haven't had a Sprite I highly recommend the experience, great fun, stock or hot rodded up.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Like many of you, I have had many British sports cars. Two TR3s, six MGAs, a new 1973 MGB, two TDs, a Berkley, a Spitfire and now own a BE and a 3000 BJ8. One car I owned and drove the wheels off was a Datsun 240Z. That car took much abuse from me and just kept on going. It was fast, great in Autocross and very comfortable to drive. I would add it to an all time favorite. Have any others here driven or had one?
Cheers,
Charlie