• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Triumph Spitfire mk1 - Height restrictions?

JBann

Hello everyone,

I am new to this board, but I have been a long time Triumph enthusiast even with my 18years of age.

I am looking into a relatively local mk1 spitfire for sale. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if I (at 6' 3") would be able to fit in it? Of course I will see how it is when I drive down to look at it, but I would like to have an idea before hand.

I once drove my friend's mk3 spitfire and had my knees up by my hands on the steering wheel. My friend however is shorter(5' 6" ish) so I figured he had the seat moved forward.

Thank you,

Jan

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Don't go by me; I'm only 5'6" (and slowly shrinking)! But I've heard of others around your height fitting Spitfires with little or no problem. Leg room is decently good, as is seat travel. The steering column has some in-and-out adjustment, and wheels smaller than the original Spitfire 16" wheel can be fitted easily.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was just at the monthly meeting of the local Triumph club, and ALL of the Spitfire drivers were over 6-foot-tall. Apparently, height is not a big hindrance to Spitfire ownership.

I'm 5-11, and I'm quite certain that another 4" wouldn't keep me out of my TR3.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Jan - welcome!

Only one way to tell, which is to drive her. I bet if you can find a local Triumph club a local Spit owner would let you check out the interior if that can be arranged before you get to the other one.

My personal guess is that it might be slightly tight.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Here is advise coming from a guy who is only 5'8" if that. You are young, you can make it work if you want to. Who cares you will have fun and the girls will love the car.

sabot

Jedi Trainee
Hi Jan, I'm 6'5" at i drive a 76 spitfire and a 80 TR8.
The driving part is fine, it's the getting in and out that I sometimes have
a problem with.
Tom

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
sabot said:
Hi Jan, I'm 6'5" at i drive a 76 spitfire and a 80 TR8.
The driving part is fine, it's the getting in and out that I sometimes have
a problem with.
Tom

Me, too, but Jan's only 18! :jester:

JRC

I'm 5 11 and have no issues... even with my huge heed!

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
At 6', my head sticks up above the windshield of my MkII just barely. Doesn't really cause a problem, except that I just discovered when driving in the rain with no top I get hit with the sideways raindrops! My left leg also gets a little cramped sometimes. Other than that, no issues.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I used to be 6'5" (shrunk to 6'4" now ;)) and I had no problems with my wife's 1968 Spitfire Mk3 back when when we were in our 20's (22-27). Different people may have different comfort levels with different driving positions though!

Scott

booley

Jedi Trainee
jdubois said:
My left leg also gets a little cramped sometimes. Other than that, no issues.

I'm 6'2", had a spit and a few gt6's. I can actually put my left leg out straight, when not on the clutch. It's the right leg that has to lean against the center console, not un-bearable though. I remember a guy who was at least 6'5"(basketball player), owning a spitfire...

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
booley said:
jdubois said:
My left leg also gets a little cramped sometimes. Other than that, no issues.

I'm 6'2", had a spit and a few gt6's. I can actually put my left leg out straight, when not on the clutch.

I find if I put my left leg out straight, I'm either on the clutch or the high beam switch. Neither of which I want to rest my foot on. So I end up having to bend it most of the time. My right leg is not a problem, it's always fully out straight :wink:

OP
JBann

JBann

Thank you everyone for your quick replies! I am quite flexible and I am sure I can make it work. I just wanted to see if there would be any comments going like, "No! You're legs will be in the engine compartment and your head over the windscreen."

If I do end up purchasing this Spitfire, I will be sure to post pictures and give an impression of the experience! And of course, I am sure I will be posting many 'how to' questions on this board about the car as that just goes along with the Triumph ownership experience.

Thanks!
Jan

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jan,

where are you located. I'm in wilkes-barre.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Jan! This place is ACTIVE.

In my experience (LBC's since 1969) there aren't many English cars that won't accommodate a six-foot tall driver. It always amazes me to see guys UNFOLD as they get out of Frogeyes, Midgets, Spitfires, Europas, etc. And when they're fully erect they dwarf the cars... like "TRANSFORMERS"!

And not just a few, either! :thumbsup:

There's another twist on the ingress/egress routine: be sure to warn any girls you may ask out to wear slacks or jeans... if you don't (and they wear a dress) you may get a punch if you "help" them by holding the door for 'em. :wink:

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
At about 6'6" I must be about the tallest guy in LBCs, but I've always liked sports cars so I adapt and cope. I had a thinner seat bottom made for my TR3 and I'm thinking about substituting relays for the bulky dimmer switch/bracket. I also find that shoes can make a difference (my running shoes with thick, wide bottoms fill up the foot space). Believe me, you can make many of these small cars fit your frame.
John

G

Hey. If Herman Munster could drive a TR4 on The TV show "The Munsters",I think anyone can drive a Triumph. Come to think of it, His head did stick over the top of the windschield frame,in that episode.I think he was 7'4''.

OP
JBann

JBann

Don_R said:
Jan,

where are you located. I'm in wilkes-barre.

Hey Don! I am located in Drums, which is only 30min south on Interstate 81 from Wilkes Barre.

I am going to look at the 1964 Spitfire on Tuesday, and afterwards I hope I can make a decision as to purchase it or not. If I do, perhaps we can get together at one point, or see each other at some local British car event with our Spitfires.

Thank you everyone for your input, its quite amazing to see the many responses and the many welcomes from this forum. I think I will quite enjoy myself on here!

Jan

Country flag
My brother's got you ALL beat...he's 6'11 and drives a TR3, has for years. :laugh: