• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumph Activity Dead on Ebay

KVH

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What's the deal? I remember anywhere from 10 to 30 cars per day, day after day, week after week . . . . year afer year

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't usually pay much attention to complete cars; but I see over 30 active auctions and two cars listed just today. Does that really qualify as "dead" ?

D

DougF

Parts listings are up about 2x what they were a couple years ago.
You have to remember that there are a bunch of us who are looking at white stuff out the window. January/February are always bad months to try to sell a Triumph. The barometer will be March/April when more people start thinking about convertibles.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
This is always a bit of a quiet time for Triumphs for sale, but it does seem to be particularly quiet just now. Probably people are thinking that they will not get a good price, so are holding on to cars just now.
Certainly in the UK the only classic cars that are really selling just now are really good ones. The cheaper stuff is sticking. I suspect that those who can afford good cars are not worried about money. Those who can't afford to buy the best are feeling the pinch at the moment.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I've been buying and selling on ebay since 2001, while I am not interested in the cars I do notice them and the level seems to be about what I remember seeing over the years. I would say that the parts offers are up this year, topping 500 items. Over the years I see the same stuff, hats, ads, etc, etc. but the good stuff is lurking in there also. Since I'm coming to the tail end on mine I don't need much, so I don't spend much time on ebay. The fact still remains that ebay gives you an enormous market to sell your items at.

As Randall pointed out 30 cars on ebay would hardly be considered dead.

No Kentville, I think our hobby is alive and well on ebay!

Tinkerman

V

vagt6

I think LBC sales activity is up over roughly a year ago (pre-recession).

I've been watching LBC sales venues for many moons and it seems to me that activity for Triumphs, especially TR6s, is up significantly. And, I haven't seen so many TR-6s for sale since the dealerships closed way back when!

I suspect activity will pick up as warm weather approaches, too. I wouldn't necessarily expect pricing on nice examples to decline significantly (maybe a litte), but I certainly expect more cars to become available as the economy continues to sour.

Probably not a bad time to start looking for that perfect Triumph or MG . . . :yesnod:

angelfj1

Yoda
<span style="font-weight: bold">don't you expect that speculators would wait until the market improved? seems logical to me! :crazy:</span>

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Depends on your point of view, IMO. The cardinal rule for investors is to buy cheap and sell dear ... now looks like a good time to buy cheap.

Shame I have no storage space left; I've seen a couple of cars that might have followed me home otherwise. Not that I'm any kind of investor, it's strictly fun for me.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've watched the TR6's lately and it seems like no high dollars cars are selling. Most of what I've seen is 5k and under. Time of year and economic uncertainty the biggest reasons.