• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

tri metal vs. bi metal bearings

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
BPNW lists bi metal and tri metal heavy duty bearing sets. Are the heavy duty bearings worth the extra (twice as much) cost? Will they last significantly longer given a mildly built 1500 engine that sees spirited daily driving and occasional autocross use or is the money better spent elsewhere?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
There's a pretty good explanation or call it "sales pitch" on the Vandervell tri layered bearings in the TRF Blue Catalog on page 13.
I'd also be interested in the opinions of others on the Forum.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I went with the Tri-Metal. The difference in cost now is nothing compared with a problem that could occur later. JMHO.

That bearing has been recognized as the "gold standard" for years for these cars.

Possibly more related to cost, but I'm not taking a chance at this point in the game.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Back in the days of the 948cc Herald engine, bi-metal bearings were installed on the 40hp single-carb engine, and tri-metal bearings were installed on the 50hp dual-SU-carb version of the same engine. From my admittedly non-engineering standpoint, 'nuff said! :smile:

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought the tri-metal bearings from British Parts Northwest (check their price) it was really only a few dollars more. Nothing close to "twice as much."

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check my math but shouldn't they be only 50% more?
your only getting 1/2 again as much metal

OP
eejay56

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
Moseso said:
I bought the tri-metal bearings from British Parts Northwest (check their price) it was really only a few dollars more. Nothing close to "twice as much."
At BPNW bi-metal mains for a 1500 are 20.75 and the tri-metals are 44.22, crank bearings are 20.75 and 46.81 respectively. It sounds like the consensus is that it's money well spent.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Don't you guys think that he should get at least 50k miles with the standard bearings? A lot more with regular oil changes?

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
poolboy said:
Don't you guys think that he should get at least 50k miles with the standard bearings? A lot more with regular oil changes?

Easily and much more with proper oil and filter changes, the cylinders and valve assemble will wear out before the rod and mains. At least that has been my experience on a six.

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
eejay56 said:
Moseso said:
At BPNW bi-metal mains for a 1500 are 20.75 and the tri-metals are 44.22, crank bearings are 20.75 and 46.81 respectively. It sounds like the consensus is that it's money well spent.

With a polished 1500 crank and standrad bi metal bearings I was spinning 6k rpm + with no problems for more than 5000 Miles. (Before I found the PO installed the thrust washers backwards) NOT Advised. Any who the standard bearings held up execptionally well under that hard abuse and will many mods done. However I just bought Tri's to go with the crank Im currently having repaired..... My outlook though.. For daily driving if everything else is setupoo the right way it wont make a difference. But than again it is only $40 more :wink:

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey guys, the top layer is really sacrificial and very thin. That is softest, in fact you can almost dent it with your fingernail, and is there for initial startup protection. The remaining two layers are the bulk of the thickness and strength.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's true, but it doesn't keep it from being important. What it does is allow the bearing to "bed in" to the crank so the load is spread more evenly with less concentration of force to break down the harder layers underneath.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I think there is a lot of MOJO and MISTIQUE with the insert bearings being bi or tri-metal. I suspect a tri metal could be of less quality than some bi metals. But, because of my ignorance of the differences I just get the tri-metal because they are available and they are OEM in the "performance" motors. Also, the machine shop guy said the bearings I got from BPNW looked "pretty good"; that is a big complement from my machine shop.