• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

trafficator

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Gentlemen:
Whilst trying to reassemble my trafficator from scratch--I didn't dissamble it, I soon realized that this is a puzzle thats outside of my ability.
Does anyone have any pictures, diagrams, web sites ect. that could help me?
To further confuse the issue, I'm not convinced that all of the parts are here.
Oh well--
Thanks, Emmett

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Well, his profile says he has a '74 MGB and a '57 TR3. Being that this is posted in the Triumph forum, I would assume the TR3...but you know about assume! :crazy:

Anyway, if someone doesn't have any info to pass on, my trafficator is out of the car right now, and I could open things up and take some pics if need be. Hang in there, we'll get you some help.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
I think Emmet has a TR3, which makes this really confusing, as the TR3 doesn't have trafficators. They have turn signal lights (blinkers).

Did a box of parts from a different car (like an 1800 Roadster?) get mixed in with the TR3 boxes?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, I guess it's not hard to look it up. But I know the guy and I was ribbin' him.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Twosheds said:
I think Emmet has a TR3, which makes this really confusing, as the TR3 doesn't have trafficators. They have turn signal lights (blinkers).

Did a box of parts from a different car (like an 1800 Roadster?) get mixed in with the TR3 boxes?

I think this is symantics here. I assume (there we go with that again) the OP is talking about the turn signal stuff in the steering wheel control head. I've often seen it called a "trafficator". Or are you guys pulling his leg again!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, I don't know of one about assembling, but this link should give you a ZIP file containing a MS Word article about disassembling the TR2-3 (Mayflower, etc.) control head. Hopefully that will be enough to get you on the way.
https://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/technical/ControlHead.zip

Someone really needs to do one about assembling ... but I've got more important things to do at the moment, like trying to get the Stag diff back together and the new air compressor wired up (and plumbed). Plus a never-ending list of honey-dews ...

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Emmett,

Here is a website that has a link to an illustrated article on the disassembly of the TR3 control head (turn signals and horn switches).

https://www.tr-register.com.au/files/technical.htm

The article link is in the archive section, firth article. Although it does not address reassembly, I'm sure you can figure it out as I did. It is an excellent reference article because of the pictures and descriptions so you can determine if you have all the pieces to it. I found it very helpful when a few bits went flying while I was taking one apart. Luckily I found everything and knew when I could stop the search.

Trafficators are small arms that flip out from the car as a turn indicator and where used on car older than the TR3.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Whoa...after reading that disassembly process, I'm not so sure I want to take mine apart. The thought of springs flying across the shop at the speed of light is very discouraging. :wall:

Twosheds

Darth Vader
martx-5 said:
Twosheds said:

I think this is symantics here. I assume (there we go with that again) the OP is talking about the turn signal stuff in the steering wheel control head. I've often seen it called a "trafficator". Or are you guys pulling his leg again!

For once I'm not pulling a leg. Am I like the boy who cried "Wolf!"?

I thought trafficators are those quaint pointers that stick out the sides of the car in the direction of the intended turn. 1800 Roadsters have 'em, but not TR3s.

I call the thing in the steering wheel "control head".

Sorry to muddy the waters.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's not really as bad as all that. I've done mine numerous times and rarely have to go looking for parts. Though if you do it sitting in the driver's seat as I did last time, I do recommend laying a clean bath towel on your lap
grin.gif

IMO you should remove the lever and it's screw before separating the halves. Then when you do separate the halves, put some pressure on the very center (the piece that turns with the lever) to hold it into place in the back half while you lift away the front half. Unless things have already come apart inside, you should be able to carefully lift the front half away while keeping all the moving parts in their slots in the rear half.

Then you can hold the two springs on the curved wire in place with one hand, while you remove the piece that turns with the other hand, keeping a finger on the brass piece that carries the wheel and a spring inside. That releases the pressure on the springs on the curved wire, so they don't fly anywhere when you remove it (although they do tend to slide off and fall into your lap).

Although somewhat obsolete, I believe "trafficator" was proper British for what Americans call a "turn signal"; regardless of whether it was mechanical or electrical.

OP
E

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yeah- its that basic, simple, I wish they still made cars like that, TR3.
Actually many moons ago I had a 59 VW bug that had the side turn signal arms. Bought the car new, but they never extended. Great conversation piece though.
Thanks for all the help,
Emmett
Poolboy- Why didn't you tell me how expensive these cars are nowadays? Over 6 grand, and still need another 6 in body work.
Instead of making money, Mr Obsessive, spends every waking moment working on that TR, spending money like its going out of style.
My last restoration--not

Country flag
I like trafficators if just for the novelty of them. My dad's 28 Rolls had them, but they didn't work. I'd like to have a car that has them.