• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Traffic ... it became a good thing this time...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
well ok, maybe not a "good" thing, so to speak, but it was certainly a *lot* less annoying today than usual. After having a full summer of very light traffic around the Community College that I drive by every day, I'd completely forgotten how the traffic got in that area during certain parts of the day. I was bewildered earlier this week when I found myself stopped at a green traffic light for no apparent reason. That is until I realized the fall semester had just started.

Today, on the drive home, stuck in the traffic waiting for the lights I ended up having a short conversation with a younger guy in the car next to me. The guy didin't know what I was driving and I had to explain what the car was. To which he thought it was cool.

I get through the heavy traffic, get home, and while I'm putting the cock-pit cover on the car I hear, "Hey Bubuh!" behind me. I turn around and there's an older guy in a pick-up truck and he procedes to tell me "those are one of the best cars to ever have! Don't ever sell it!" He new it was an MG, but not the year and tells me he has a '57 Bugeye. He tells me that if it came down to it "the wife would have to go"... heheh. We ended up shootin' the breeze for a few minutes before he decides he needs to get going.

It really made for a nice end to a really crappy day at the office that involved out sourced IT and having to get bosses to yell at people to get the job done.

Steve_S

Yoda
Re: Traffic ... it became a good thing this time..

You gotta love the variety of people you meet through these crazy cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank god I never have to go to an office again. - figuratively speaking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

That's great! Even through the stress of work and traffic congestion, the MG continues to provide stress relief! Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

I was driving to work yesterday and a guy in a Chysler Crossfire gives me the thumbs up as we are next to each other while waiting at a light. It happens every time I take her out.
It does seem like a stress reliever when I take her to work. I do so enjoy the drive.

"Low Spark of High Heels"....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

I've got a bumper sticker on my big Dodge truck that says "My Other Car is an MG"...today, I had a guy yell at me at a red light wanting to know where I get parts for my MG....hehehehehe...he didn't know he'd hit the motherlode!

R6MGS

Yoda

I had someone ask me when the next British car day was the other day....Usually don't get to much around here though.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a bumper sticker on my big Dodge truck that says "My Other Car is an MG"...today, I had a guy yell at me at a red light wanting to know where I get parts for my MG....hehehehehe...he didn't know he'd hit the motherlode!

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor guy had no idea who he had run into. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

I love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

And what did you tell him Tony?

"I get my parts from me" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Naaa, "Parts 'R Us"

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Handed him my card & explained I WAS the MG parts place - new or used! He said he was going to stop by tomorrow morning.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Ohhh, Sat. morning at Tonys, coffees hot.

Steve_S

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
I had a guy yell at me at a red light wanting to know where I get parts for my MG....hehehehehe...he didn't know he'd hit the motherlode!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hilarious! Kind of like asking the guy in the next car where to eat and realizing it's Wolfgang.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Well, the guy you yelled at me at the stoplight earlier this week came by today - bought a set of new floorboards I had in stock, a set of used '69 seat frames w/headrests, a few other minor used items, & ordered over $500 in new parts! & spent about 2 hours just looking at cars & talking - actually, he got here right at 10am & its 12:20 now! Said he'd be back several times - left with a Moss catalog (which he'd never seen) & was already building a wish list!

Traffic can be a good thing!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Ha, you done good. Did you treat him to coffee?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

We had "refreshments"!

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
left with a Moss catalog (which he'd never seen)

[/ QUOTE ]

That never ceases to amaze me. We all run in this little bubble where the likes of Moss is just second nature but somehow people still can sneak through the cracks. Shoot... I had a stack of Moss catalogs, newsletters, and Abington Spares catalogs next to my bed when I was 10 years old and drooled over them nightly.

Fortunately it didn't wear off when I discovered girls and beer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We're such a tight community that it just seems strange that every person with an LBC just doesn't know about us. I was at a house party in college BSing with a friend of a friend and the next thing I know I'm in the barn out back at 2am and he's showing off his MGA V8 that he's building... had no clue about Moss and was convinced that there was no way he'd ever find a plinth for the tail-lights. Another time I spotted a TD in a garage when I was 17 and talked to the little old widow who's husband bought it new. I gave her a stack of Sacred Octagons and changed the oil on it for her. God knows where that car is now.... kids probably saw dollar signs and hopefully it still survives.

The sense of brotherhood is what I love about us almost as much as driving these cars. 40 years of this obsession and I've met exactly 2 jerks the whole time.

And on that note... SWMBO is at Costco so I think it's the perfect time to go out and wash the layer of dust off the 'rumph. Temps are back into the 80's and it's been almost 3 weeks without a spin.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Only TWO?!?! You're *charmed* Jim.