• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Tracking down the history of my Canadian TR7

tr7nutter

Freshman Member
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum and can I say it looks great...

I live in the UK and own a Canadian TR7 drophead which was originally supplied by Cooke Motors in Calgary. I've tried to do some searches on the net, but haven't managed to track them down yet, so assume they have closed. Does anyone know any history around what happened to them, whether they were taken over etc. It may give me a start to find how the car ended up in Texas before being imported back in to the UK in 1996.

Any help is gratefully received...

Cheers

Ellis
https://www.triumphtr7.co.uk

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome! It's unusual that someone would bring a left-hand drive car back to the UK. Does your MOT department provide a list of previous owners? You might find the original person who brought the car back and ask why this was done.
We have several folks in the Calgary area on htis site (78Z and Sherlock): you may want ot send them a note about the "missing" dealer.
For the original car certificate, you might try here:

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgar/bmiht/bmiht.htm

For the cars history in the USA, you could try here (I'm not sure if they have anything like this in the UK):

https://www.carfax.com/

OP
T

tr7nutter

Freshman Member
[ QUOTE ]
It's unusual that someone would bring a left-hand drive car back to the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you're not wrong there... I have history saying the car was in Dallas from the early 90's, until it imported to the UK by the then owner (an American serviceman who was posted over here). Once over, it was UK registered with an age related plate and was bought by the guy I bought it from (who did a fair bit of work to it). It's the space between 1981 and 1991 I'm trying to find out about. Quite intriguing really...

Thanks for the tips !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Ellis,

Cooke Motors... a name from the past...

Being a native Calgarian the name of that dealer is very familiar. The Cooke family introduced many Calgarians to import cars over the years and were local pioneers as import dealers, that dealership is long gone now though.

Unfortunately, to make a long story short, the system of licensing cars here makes it virtually impossible to trace the history of cars. You almost have to depend on people's personal knowledge. Moreso in a case of a TR7 where so many would have been sold through here it makes that task more difficult.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to possibly contact the local sports car club - www.vsccc.ca - you never know what might come up.

OP
T

tr7nutter

Freshman Member
Thanks Sherlock... well at least someone has heard of them.

I get the feeling I'm gonna have to try and trace backwards from 1991 in Dallas and hope the guy is still around.

Thanks for the tip on the VSCCC.

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
OK, I'm retarded. I looked at your post and saw the URL. I like your site. I use that paint codes thing when I look at other TR7s. You wouldn't by chance know of a place I can look up interior trim codes, would you?

OP
T

tr7nutter

Freshman Member
[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't by chance know of a place I can look up interior trim codes, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a book at home with all the codes in it... what are you after ???

Izual Angel

Jedi Trainee
Codes "RAH" and "CAAA" The first is from a 79/90 DHC and the second is from my 76 FHC. Thanks for the help.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Welcome to the forum, Ellis. I found a link that might be what you are looking for concerning the factory trim codes.

https://www.team.net/TR8/registry/b_colours.html

I hope this helps. Regarding the history of your car, you may contact British Leyland Heritage.... I know that they provide certificates for a small fee with original specs, dates, etc. for Jaguars, and hopefully for all of the marques. Please let us know what tidbits you dig up on your car. It sounds as though your car has made the "Grand Tour". Again, welcome and best of luck on your search for your TR's history.

Regards,

Brian

OP
T

tr7nutter

Freshman Member
[ QUOTE ]
Codes "RAH" and "CAAA" The first is from a 79/90 DHC and the second is from my 76 FHC. Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can see, the RAH trim code is Blue check inserts. There isn't a CAAA, but CAA is red/black check. Was that what you were after ???

OP
T

tr7nutter

Freshman Member
Update on the trace....

I've been in touch with Jaguar Calgary, who it looks as though took over or is what became of Cooke Motors. Unfortunately, it's too long ago now for them to have the original records, so the search continues... it has turned up some interesting information about the history in Texas though... I will post more as the story unfolds !!!

Thanks for the suggestions about contacting the British Heritage at Gaydon, but I'm more after the history of the car over the years rather than how it started out. I have documents with the original spec etc. and unfortunately that is all British Heritage can supply).