• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR8 fuel injection

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
With all the talk of TR8s lately, I just can't help myself and I've been looking at them myself. So I don't remember... are the TR8 fuel injected models good?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're all good, Larry!

Having no direct experience with fuel injected models, I can only pass along what I've learned second-hand. The injected models have more horsepower, but have the typical reputation for being troublesome. But then, don't all LBC's enjoy that as well? Rover used the same fuel injection equipment on lots of their cars over the years, and I would imagine they resolved most issues.

Brad Wilson, who lives here in Clarksville, has a side business called Wedgeparts, and has done several V8 transplants into TR7's. Also has a Rover SD1, with the same engine. He's done some interesting mods to some engines using GM throttle body equipment. Lots cheaper to purchase parts, and they are abundant.

My TR8 was carbureted, and I removed the ZS's and replaced with a Holley/Edelbrock combination, for the sake of simplicity. Wouldn't mind having fuel injection, but a bit pricey for me.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Only if you want a bone stock(slow) TR8. Whether it came with carbs or fi, you are far better off tossing the induction system and bolting on a Holley. Simply adding a cam, headers, edelbrock intake, and four barrel carb, you will bring the power up close to 200HP with a strong torque curve. You will also gain reliability and in most cases better fuel mileage.

OP
SCguy

SCguy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Only if you want a bone stock(slow) TR8. Whether it came with carbs or fi, you are far better off tossing the induction system and bolting on a Holley. Simply adding a cam, headers, edelbrock intake, and four barrel carb, you will bring the power up close to 200HP with a strong torque curve. You will also gain reliability and in most cases better fuel mileage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could a modified engine as described still pass California smog?

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could a modified engine as described still pass California smog?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldn't. Something like 75% of TR8's were fuel injected specifically for California emissions certification after the modifications to the carbed cars were no longer sufficient.

Several people on the 'wedge list' and in the TR8CCA have a LOT of knowledge on the pros and cons of the Fuel Injection system.

Even a stock TR8 is pretty fast and quick compared to other TR's. You'll have to forgive Todd for his exuberance. He is used to his modified TR8's and Woody Coopers modified TR8's and would have a hard time returning to the original performance levels even if he were forced to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know that I will soon be in the same boat as Todd once my TR8 begins receiving some 'upgrades' in the power producing areas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif I doubt Mickey would want to return either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Otherwise stock TR8's are very comfortable to drive and can keep up with modern traffic without any issues. Great cars!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Even a stock TR8 is pretty fast and quick compared to other TR's. You'll have to forgive Todd for his exuberance. He is used to his modified TR8's and Woody Coopers modified TR8's and would have a hard time returning to the original performance levels even if he were forced to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know that I will soon be in the same boat as Todd once my TR8 begins receiving some 'upgrades' in the power producing areas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif I doubt Mickey would want to return either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Otherwise stock TR8's are very comfortable to drive and can keep up with modern traffic without any issues. Great cars!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - no going back for me, even though I've held on to all the original stuff. The Holley, mild cam, headers and Mallory ignition have really brought this thing to life!

Mickey