• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 wiper cable and greasing it

hondo402000

Darth Vader
has anyone greased the wiper cable in their tr6 an does the cable come out with out getting under the dash andtaking the wheel boxes apart, not that I drive in the rain going to the bently manual as I post this

hondo

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
so I was thinking if I take the wipers off can I pull the cable out and will the wiper shafts just keep going round and round till the cable comes out? it just looks like a gear in the wheel box housing and doesnt appear to have a stop

maybe I will try it and see if it works

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's the way it's supposed to work. You may not even need to remove the wiper arms, if they are the kind that will lift to straight out. The cable just pulls out while the wiper boxes go round and round.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well got the cable out, took the wiper unit apart to regrease and PO has a nylon cable tie holding the plastic connector to the housing, the plastic connector has the automatic cut off switch, I figured there must be some type of clip that held it on the metal housing but I cant see what is broken off so I guess I will have to go back to a nylon tie. but so far so goood

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Hondo.....I'm not sure what clips you're looking for but here's a picture of my wiper motor opened up before I removed, greased and painted it. I've got a few more pictures if you think they will help.

WiperOpened.jpg

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
underneat the housing where the wiring harness attaches to the unit is a plastic part that the harness plugs into that is what is loose but I got it covered would attach pics but I dont see an attachement button, but got the unit regreased and back in this pic is just of the gear housing after cleaning the grease out

Attachments

• 16219.jpg
    16219.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 207

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
hondo402000 said:
...would attach pics but I dont see an attachement button, ...

When you make a post, at the bottom is something called the "File Manager". Click on that, and you can attach pics. Watch out for the size, as there is a limit. I usually make them 500x375.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
and windows xp you can resize photos but so far in vista there is no such program as I can find so I had to crank up my XP computer

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Bobby
I put that black stuff between the plastic electrical housing and the metal base to keep moisture out of the gear housing, its NAPA non hardening sealer and the wire is coat hanger wire bent as a clip to hold the plastic housing in place, I drilled 2 holes opposite each other in the cast web for the attachement holes thats the best I could do,

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hondo402000 said:
and windows xp you can resize photos but so far in vista there is no such program as I can find so I had to crank up my XP computer
Download IrfanView (which is freeware). https://www.irfanview.com/ It runs on Vista, and has all sorts of options for resizing. Not quite as seamless as the functions built into XP, but works quite well once you learn to use it.