• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Windsheild alignment help - Please!

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
My car was pretty much in boxes when I bought it. After a year (and a lot of help from forum members) I was driving it down the road. My biggest road block on this car is that I have not been able to align the windsheild frame. This is a major problem and total frustration for me since I can not put my new top on or install many interior parts. The biggest problem I see is that the passenger side will not go back far enough. There is a 3/4 inch lip on both sides of the windsheild frame that the windows roll up next to. I figure it would be reasonable to have about an even 3/8 inch gap front to top when the window is rolled up. On the right side when I tighten the nut on the bottom of the post nut, it moves the windsheild back toward the front again. Am I supposed to tighten these nuts all the way? The right bracket was broken originally. I welded it back together, and even bought another just to make sure I did it correctly. The PO also bent the sheet metal up under the windsheild frame posts, and I pounded that back down flat. I rebuilt the window guides and cranks. They seem to work well now. The small amount of widow adjustment does not seem to make a difference. I still have the same windsheild to body gasket because the new one from VB is much smaller in width and doesn't look correct. I haven't paid to have anything done on my car, but I would gladly pay to have this done, although I doubt anyone would do it. Obviously I am missing something. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

wooolffy

I too still have this problem. When my windows are up the passenger side glass touches steel frame. The drivers side is about 1/2" away. I finally noticed my car frame had a small kink on drivers side and right tire mount frame assy was worked on (Welded). Guess PO had an accident at some time in the cars life. I still could not get windshield frame to line up. My thoughts were I never have windows up, so I don't worry about it. If it rains I still have a seal on window albeit slightly crooked. Odd thing is the back edge of window is perfectly aligned too rubber strip! So it is the windshield frame/ possible twisted main frame. Keep up the good work, all will be well!

Steve1970

Country flag
geez.. i got the same exact prob too. i'm hot off a clutch job and this was gonna be next on my list. now i'm hoping there will be enough adjustment in my door glass to back it off from the windshield frame.

what if we could push the door a little further back by shimming where the door attaches to the hinges (search mossmotors for "hinge packing")? or maybe just shim the upper hinge?

though now you may end up with an unsightly gap between the front fender and door (gasp!)

we'll find a way..

Minesweeper

I would loosen all the fasteners (three domed screws on the dash top, two hex screws on the top of each fender at the leading edge of the door that hold the post bracket, and the nuts on the two posts under the dash), BUT make sure each is still engaged by a few threads. This should give you enough play to align the windscreen frame to where you want it.

Since the posts are about at a 45* angle, tightening the nut down too far will pull the windscreen down and forward. Loosening them should allow you to move the windscreen rearward. You may have to get under the dash with a mallet and tap on the posts to get it to move (I also use a length of hardwood dowel on the end of the post so I can swing the hammer down in the footwell instead of up under the dash).

The brackets that hold the post will rotate a bit allowing you to tip the windscreen back or forth.

Hopefully there is enough life in your old windscreen to body gasket to maintain the seal. If not, I found TRF's gasket to be excellent.

I went through this repair earlier this year and it wasn't that bad. If I can do it, so can you!

Scott

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
So, do the two post nuts have to be tightened all the way for the windsheild to be secure? What kind of gap did you end up with between the door windows and windsheild?

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Ichthos
I have sent you a couple PMs about getting together to work this, but never got an answer.
To expand on the previous post, the domed headed fastener on the dash should be loosened, the 4 fasteners (2 to each side) for the windscreen hold down bolts on the brackets can be loosened.
I used a hydraulic jack to ease windscreen forward.
You can measure from the top of the door opening of the rear fender to the top of the windscreen frame to check side to side
measurements to keep them aligned.
Send me a PM and I give you my phone # and we can chat.

Minesweeper

ichthos said:
So, do the two post nuts have to be tightened all the way for the windsheild to be secure? What kind of gap did you end up with between the door windows and windsheild?

No, they don't have to be tightened all the way down. Tighten until they are snug against the bracket (without disturbing your windscreen alignment). Then tighten the four hex head screws that hold the brackets. One of those screws on each side also pinches the bracket tight around the post. It's the brackets that secure the windscreen frame. The nuts on the posts also help secure it by preventing the windscreen from backing out, but they are more of an adjustment device in my view.

Then tighten the domed bolts on the dash top. Again, you don't necessarily have to crank them all the way down -- just until everything is snug and the windscreen gasket makes a solid seal.

I ended up with an even 1/4 inch gap, but that was too tight once I put the weatherstrips on, so I'm going to move it forward a bit next time I feel like lying in the footwell again.

Scott

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hey Norton 47. I replied to your last pm. I didn't realize you had sent the last one. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions on the windsheild. I'll be taking another stab at it shortly.

Kevin

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Kevin
If you are around this Sunday after 11:00 AM I can be down after church and we can take a look. I sent you a PM also.