• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Up-date... she's running... kind of...

Hachman

Freshman Member
TR6 Update... she's running... kind of...

Hi Everybody!

Last night my TR6 ran for the first time in about 15 years.

My eariler post indicated that I had no spark... problem was remidied with new points, but I threw new coil, wires, plugs, cap and rotor for forms sake. Big Sparks now.

With all ignition componets in and ready, I put about a gallon of gas in the tank (car was put away with tank bone dry, and you can't beleive what great shape the inside of it is in)...

Gave both carbs a sip of gas, and it fired right up and ran for about 15 seconds. (of course)

I now have a fuel delivery problem. Fuel is not getting to the carbs, at all. I put about 8 more gallons in the tank after it ran, have been playing with the primer lever, everything I can think of, but the juice just isn't getting to the carbs. I am guessing my 34 year old pump is toast. Any suggestions on how I can be sure before I order a new one?

On to the issue of pictures, I apoligize for not having any up yet, I am having digital camera issues (actually, my camera apparently has issues with me, it took it's own life by jumping off my workbench about a week ago). I'm buying a new one and will get those pic's up soon.

Thanks for any advice!
John

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Re: TR6 Update... she's running... kind of...

If you disconnect the fuel line at the carbs and run the line into a safely placed container, then user the primer pump, is anything coming out?

DO NOT crank the engine over if you are doing this alone and do not have a fire extinguisher available. Two man job with the proper care taken to insure no bad things happen.

OP
H

Hachman

Freshman Member

No, nothing coming out of the line at the carbs, that is with cranking and priming both. Spent over an hour trying.

John

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

I'd think the next step would be to see if there is fuel as far as the fuel pump (a pain to check, so have something ready to catch fuel as you disconnect the "in" line to the pump). If nothing comes out of the line, it's plugged somewhere between the pump and the tank, which wouldn't surprise me on a car dormant so long. As clean as the tank looked, it or the lines could have had some rust or sediment.

If all is well with delivery to the pump, it's time to pull the pump. It might be just fine but (also?) clogged with sediment and / or rust particles.

OP
H

Hachman

Freshman Member

Yeah, I figured that might be my next step, but this has the potential to be a messy job! If I've got to be in there, I probably should just get it over with and replace the pump. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Pumps from Victoria British are under 30, and about 50 from Moss. Am I getting what I pay for here or will either one be OK? I am also planning on replacing the filter and lines going into the pump, as these are aged as well.

Thanks!!!
John