• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Timing cover miss-alignment????

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
My rebuilt engine looks beautiful sitting on the stand ready to go and the last thing I want to do is redo anything, but here is the problem, looking straight at the front of the crankshaft I can see that the front seal is not centered on the crank. The timing cover is slightly missaligned, it looks like it is offset to one side of the crank by about 1/16--3/32. Do you think the seal will conform to this offset or do I need to take corrective action?, I dont want a leaky seal. The only way I see to fix it is by pulling off the timing cover and drilling most of the bolt holes and peg holes to oversize-- and then shift the cover to align the seal. What are your opinions??

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I would do what ever it takes to get it aligned. It will be a real PIA to fix after the engine is in the car & you find that it leaks later, or maybe, sooner. By any chance is the seal just installed cocked?
D

G

Allan,
Is this the original cover to this engine, and if so, did it leak before? I would doubled that what you are seeing is correct unless you either changed the cover or put the seal in slightly cock-eyed. The seals take just a bit of effort to get them in place and can actually be put in less than perfectly. If you are really worried, pull the cover and install a new seal. Note that there are more than one qualities of seals out there. Make sure that you get one with the spring-loaded seal. Try to reuse the chain tensioner if possible, some of the replacement springs are less than great. The seal I installed on mine came from TRF, the new one I pitched came from somewhere else. I really wouldn't consider wallowing out the holes to adjust the fit; even though this is a stamped steel piece, it is fairly precision made. That said, there is a very slight amount of "slide" in the fit. In reality, I think that the seal might be ok and you are suffering from that Triumph disease of "looking at it too long". Go inside and watch the evening news......

Bill

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Allan,

there is quite a bit of available movement with the screws loosely fitted, which is what to do, loosly install all the screws, fit the crankshaft pulley to centralise the seal then tighten the screws.

Alec

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
This is the original cover, but I did not run this motor, its a late model block. The seal came from BPNW and is spring loaded and I was careful to fully seat the seal, I did use the original tensioner. If I loosened all the bolts I think the Dowel pins (alignment pegs)would keep the cover from being adjusted-they fit tight. One side of my brain says the seal will conform the other side says it may leak. With it all sealed and painted I really dont want to do it, But I know for piece of mind I am probably going to have to!!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I hate to say this, but there is no seal in the world designed to function as an egg. They are all perfect circles for a reason, to prevent leaks. Remove the cover and carefully examine everything before it goes back together or you'll be very upset with yourself down the road when oil is pouring out of the seal and shaft area.

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
FIXED IT

Well Im not sure if it would be egg shaped but it would have a little less sealing pressure on one side of the crank and it would have probably started to leak. So after much agonizing I pryed the cover off. The bolt holes in the cover are 21/64 and the dowel holes are 5/16, I ended up drilling all holes to 23/64, that gave me enough adjustment in the cover to center the seal on the crank, the dowel holes were the biggest hang up. Its got to make you wonder how many have misaligned covers/seals and dont know it, it is something you normally dont think about.

piman

Darth Vader
Re: FIXED IT

hello Allan,

I don't remember ever seeing dowels on the timing cover of a six, and any decent dowel would be a snug fit not 15 or so thou over size. Somebody's modification?

Alec

G

Hey Allan,
Glad you got it fixed to your needs. I really don't think that it was off, considering that it was a 30+ year-old engine that probably never leaked there before, although it could have. That said (how do you like that for ambiquity?), an area of many leaks on these engines is the aluminum sealing bar right below that crank seal, part of which afixes to this same timing chain cover. Many times the oil pan bolts have stripped in this bar and this is one of the sources of the constant leaks the TR6 has. That is why the front cross memeber of your frame will never, never rust - it usually has a thick coating of oily sludge sitting atop it. I went with the aftermarket steel sealing bar (forgot who makes it, someone will know on the forum) and solved this problem forever. And yes, Alec, there are some dowels on this cover, or at least mine has some.

Bill

swift6

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
hello Allan,

I don't remember ever seeing dowels on the timing cover of a six, and any decent dowel would be a snug fit not 15 or so thou over size. Somebody's modification?

Alec

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen 'em on every TR6 engine that I have peered at. But they have all been a snug fit as well and not oversized.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
A

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior

My early block has the dowels also, the tight fitting dowels are what caused most of the alignment issue. Maybe just pulling the dowels out would have all I needed to do for the adjustment. TR6Bill, I used my aluminum block--it had good threads, I used alot of sealer and the bolts snuged up without stripping so I hope I end up with those front end rust issues you were talking about!!