• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 seat conversion

gdrysdale

Freshman Member
I am looking for assistance doing a conversion from original TR6 seats to Mazda Miata seats. Any help would be greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
There are two methods of doing this - first is to make some brackets to adapt the Miata runners to the TRs existing seat mounting points, the second to just drill new holes in the floor pan and mount directly. Either way, you'll have to cut those mounting pegs off the bottom of the seats. I too have the Miata seats, but haven't actually mounted them yet - will write it up on my website once I've completed that task!

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There are plans for the brackets to mount Miata seats in the book "Improving TR5, 250 and 6" by Roger Williams (you can have a look by searching inside the book on Amazon.com, it is about page 135, I think). That seems to be based on an article on the TR Register technicalities CD - I have a copy if you would be interested.

I am thinking of doing this conversion myself but haven't yet found anywhere local to get the brackets made up (I haven't the tools or skills to make them myself!). Would anyone be else interested in these - I might be able to get a better price if we could order several sets.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just out of interest and curiosity, how hard and expensive is it to ger Miata seats?

OP
G

gdrysdale

Freshman Member
Actually very easy. I would not recommend any dealership as the prices are absolutely outrageous. There were also numerous seats available from various wreckers from $ 250.00 a pair and up. I was lucky enough to purchase a pair on ebay for $ 28.00 (US for the pair + 41.00 for shipping). One seat was trashed, however, the other one was fine. I was able to get them both covered in the correct shadow blue marine vinyl including new seat foams for $ 685.00. I also had them embroidered (TR6) in the headrests. The seats look awesome and all I have to decide now is whether or not to drill new holes.

G

Another option would be to purchase the set of Surrey seats from Vicky Brit. I installed a set in my TR6 and I will give you the pluses and minuses. First, they are extremely comfortable with good lateral support and really good lumbar support. They fit the cockpit of the car well and look like they belong in the TR6. They have excellent travel and recline well. The headrests are nicely sized and placed. The negatives are price (about a $1000 for the set) but I caught mine on a sale. The installation requires drilling new holes and bolting through the floor pan and/or the frame. Took some effort to install. The quality is adequate (haven't ripped or shown signs of wear yet). Quality is about a B+. I like them a lot better than the original seats and they look very good in the car.

Bill

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Go to this site for a big download of all kinds of stuff, the seat conversion is ,I believe, first.
https://alistairhewitt.dreamhosters.com/TR6/N-WeatherEquipment&Trim.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's my website! I have been trying to limit the number of people I give the address to to conserve my bandwidth. Please don't download anything if you feel the need to follow any of the advice you may find - it is all for entertainment purposes only!

426Hemicuda1

Freshman Member
I have a 79 Spitfire I am looking to put miata seats in, but seem to have stumbled on a problem. That link: https://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/miataseats/Sizecomp1.html states that the miata seats he used from the early model miata's (90 - 92) were 32" floor to headrest. The seats from the later model miata's that I have checked range from 34 -35" (93 - 95) and higher after the 97 models. Not good for fitting under a factory hardtop for the spitfire, since 34.5" is the max height to the headliner. Does anyone know the exact height (floor to headrest) for EACH year of the Miata's? That sure would help a lot, when selecting seats off of ebay or a wrecking yard.