• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Rear Axle Bearing Question

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I believe I have a little excessive free play (float) in the rear bearings of my 72 TR6. In preparation for this check, I did a little reading. The manual calls for checking the bearing end float with a dial micrometer. When correctly adjusted, it should be within 0.002 to 0.005. That is pretty precise. The book also tells me the axle shaft must be removed to adjust the end float. Is there an easier way to do this without the purchase of a depth micrometer?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
send it to TRF and have them rebuild it?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You don't want a depth micrometer, you want a dial indicator. They are a lot cheaper than what it's going to cost you to fix the end float, so IMO just buy one. Here's a link to one similar to mine, currently on sale for $17
https://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=28995534&PMAKA=TK505-1848

I haven't tackled rear hubs yet, but here's a shot of it in action rebuilding a diff:
DSCF0051_CROP.jpg

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have been pondering what to do with the hubs as the entire rear end is out.
Reading up on the hubs it looks tuff. 2 1/16" wrenches are needed for the preload and locknut. I don't know if just adjusting those would require the compressible sleeve to be replaced. To take the rest apart a hydraulic press is needed along with a unique hub puller. It looks to me like you can't even clean and re grease the old bearings without all that.
A couple of alternatives are to have rebuilt for around $300 a hub or get the Goodparts setup for a little more. Not cheap.

OP
SherpaPilot

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. Yep, my mistake on the dial indicator. I have looked at the Goodparts retrofits but $1500 is a little much for me at the momment. They do appear to be a great long term solution for the Triumph but not at this time. I may just pull the hubs and send them out for rebuild. Thanks again for the help.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I was in the same situation. TRF rebuilds them for $299 plus shipping both ways (and they give you a u-joint). Goodparts has an upgraded axle-hub for $349, plus one way shipping. For me, the difference in price was the cost of a two cases of good beer, so it was a no brainier to go with Richard's upgrade and I am happy I did so.

Rear%20Hub,%20stock%20axle.JPG

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TR6oldtimer said:
I was in the same situation. TRF rebuilds them for $299 plus shipping both ways (and they give you a u-joint). Goodparts has an upgraded axle-hub for $349, plus one way shipping. For me, the difference in price was the cost of a two cases of good beer, so it was a no brainier to go with Richard's upgrade and I am happy I did so.

That's exactly what I did... for a difference of $50 per side it was a no-brainer. They are a big improvement over the stock axles.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
You can go all out and get his CV Axle conversion, pretty easy to install and no tr twitch any more

Hondo

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Gliderman8 said:
TR6oldtimer said:

That's exactly what I did... for a difference of $50 per side it was a no-brainer. They are a big improvement over the stock axles.

Same here.
BTW, if your old hubs are rebuildable, CAR will give you 75 bucks each in store credit at TRF for them.

OP
SherpaPilot

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I looked at Richard's site and now think the heavy duty hubs are the better choice. The small increase in costs over the rebuild of the original units really is a "no-brainer". I hope to get this project complete in a few weeks, right after Christmas. Thanks to all who offered advice and Merry Christmas.

D

DougF

I'm jealous. I wish I could find two cases of good beer for $50 in this area!