• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6+Rain=Fun!

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
I tend to keep my TR6 inside the garage if there is even a hint of moisture in the air, but I couldn't help it today... only a 30% chance of rain at 4 in the afternoon (when I would be coming home anyway), so off I went to a 1pm birthday party.

4pm comes... we leave. Gray skies... eh, so what. Leave the top down.

Half way through the 30 minute drive home, it starts pouring. We left the top down as it was amazing how much water the wind screen deflects! Finally pulled under a bridge and put the top up, turned on the blower, and back on down the road I went.

But I have to say, the car was FUN to drive in the rain. She handled perfectly, looked cool wet (and dark), and sounded great with the top up.

Must be something about being built for the British weather (rain!). I'll still keep her in the garage for the most part when it rains, but man was that fun.

Anyone else have this experience with their TR?

- Aldwyn

G

When returning from the VTR Regional in Irving, TX last July, I decided to take a Texas hilly back road home to Louisiana. Got caught in a gully washer with the top down so I sped up to keep the rain off me. Didn't know there was a flooded dip in the road ahead. The TR6 floats! I blew through the 8"-deep water and was able to stay on track. And she didn't even miss a beat.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My rag top was stolen some 20 years ago and never replaced ... I've gotten caught in the rain many times.

The local club members still talk about the time I showed up for an event in the rain, with my daughter hiding under the passenger's side tonneau cover.

In 2001, on the way to VTR in Breckenridge, CO, we even got hailed on !

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Well, I must admit that it was in an MG-TD, borrowed no less, many years ago. Had a former girlfriend (and then still very good friend) with me as we headed from the Albany, NY, area towards Ithaca and ultimately to the US Gran Prix in Watkins Glen. Got caught somewhere on the NYS Thruway in a downpour...and kept going. We finally did put the top up when we got to Ithaca and were pretty well soaked. But we were still kids then.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have driven several times with the tonneau in place in the rain and it was a blast.

But now I have the roll bar, so I better get over to the upholstery shop and get cut outs put in for the roll bar.

Maybe this would be a good time to get a chestnut tonneau made if he can find the material to match.

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
Got caught in the rain about three miles from home. It was a toad strangler. I could have stopped and put the top up but would have gotten soaked doing that. I was doing great at about 50 mph till I got to a stop and go light. Three cars ahead of me and they were slow getting away from the read and I had to sit through two reds. Plenty of moisture from that one and only half mile from home.

T

Tinster

This is actually true, I swear it is.

The Crypt Car is rarely operational but when it is----

Not only does the Crypt Car break down and leave me
stranded more often than not................

The miserable Beast usually manages to lure in the only
rain cloud on the island and drench me in the process.

10% rain and the Crypt Car finds 100% of that 10%!

true story.

d

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
A few yrs ago I had the bugeye and my wive to a mini car show in downtown KC. The bugeye was the biggest car there. The day was hot with storm clouds in the air. On the way home I ran into a heavy rain on the interstate. My wive wanted to stop until I told her I didn't even have the top in the car. We were Ok until I passed a semi and she got soaked. I still hear about it. By the time we got of the highway, the rain had stopped.