• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Hazard lights

R6MGS

Yoda
I think this was brought up before, but I just want to confirm....The only thing not wokring on my TR6 is the hazard lights, I suspected the relay but was told the later TR6's didn't have a seperate relay for the hazard lights? I assume the relay is built into the flasher unit? and that there is a seperate flasher unit for the hazards? If so where is it located?

Thanks
Ron

bcbennett

Not sure where the relay is, but wanted to comment; the little bulb in my 6's pull-out switch never worked because it would not stay in the socket. I used a small piece of plastic wrap over the hole when the bulb was fitted, then screwed it tight and peeled off the excess, thus forcing the bulb to stay put--works like a charm.

Good luck with the relay question.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
that there is a seperate flasher unit for the hazards? If so where is it located?

[/ QUOTE ]

On my 71' TR6 there is a flasher unit located under the passenger side dash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

MarkT

Ron,

From what I recall, on my '76 the flasher relay is in the passenger footwell, and the hazard relay is in the engine compartment next the fuse box. I'd go outside and check, but it's just gone to the shop for a spot of welding....

Mark

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks for the replies? So the relay and flasher are seperate? Do the hazards and turn signals share a flasher?

BTW: Does that buld have to be in the socket properly in order to make the hazards work? Cuz mine doesn't sit in there right either, think I'll try the saran thing.

bcbennett

No, mine worked before I fixed the bulb. But Mark T is correct; the hazard relay is on the driver side, under the hood, near the fuse box. I remembered after his post.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks, thats what I had thought too.
Now wheres the flasher? and is it seperate from the turn signal flasher(cuz those work fine)

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As was said. in an early car it is in the passenger seat well

swift6

Yoda
On my '72 the turn signal flasher is located in the passenger footwell. Actually up on the outboard side of the footwell. The hazard flasher is in the engine bay next to the fuse box.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

danmas

Jedi Trainee
Ron,

The '72 - '76 model TR6s do not have a hazard flasher relay, only the '69 - '71 models do. The switching function that was provided by the relays in the earlier models is provided by a special switch in the later models.

There are separate flashers for the TS and the hazard functions. As stated above, the TS flasher is located above the passenger footwell, and the hazard flasher is located near the fuse box under the hood.

Go to https://www.advanceautowire.com and click on the "stock schematics" button on the left. This will lead you to a set of colorized wiring diagrams for the TR6 which you can download and print. Looking over the diagram for your '76 should make all this clear.

Occasionally, the TS and hazard flasher units are referred to as "relays," which they are not. This can sometimes lead to confusion when working with these components. A relay functions quite differently than the flashers.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks, thats what I was lead to believe before. Now that you've confirmed it I can get to work......I suspect the flasher by the fuse box....Is there any way to test a flasher it see if it's good or not?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The fuse box item is not a flasher but a relay.

danmas

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
The fuse box item is not a flasher but a relay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. If the car has a hazard relay, it will be found to the rear of the fuse box. Relay or not, the flasher will be found to the front of the fuse box.

danmas

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to test a flasher it see if it's good or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a '72 or later model, probably the best way to test it is to replace it and see if it works. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a type 552 flasher, for about 2 bucks or so. Pull the old flasher and reconnect the wiring to the new one. The terminal designations on the Lucas flasher are "B" and "L". On the one you buy at the parts store will have terminal designations "X" and "L". The "X" correspondes to the "B" and the "Ls" are the same.

If you have a '69-'71 model, you will need to buy a Tridon model 550 in the short can (any other make or the tridon in a tall can won't work properly). In this case, the Lucas terminals are "B", "L", and "P". On the aftermarket, they are "X", "P", and "L". "X" = "B", "L" and "P" = "L" and "P".

The only other way to really test one is to hook up a load and see if it works. I keep a pair of bulbs handy that I've soldered together with short pieces of wire for testing purposes. The flasher won't work unless it has a reasonable load on it, so a simple voltmeter won't help.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks for all the help guys, looks like I've got something else to do this weekend. I'll let ya know when I get it fixed.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Nah, this stuff never scares me.....I'll get it fixed ASAP...got the next 2 weeks off of work(starting tonight) so I'll have some time to mess with it then. I just know it's gunna be on of those fiddly little jobs that will kill an entire afternoon in what seams like an hour.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Got `em going....bypassed the flasher, lights went on...so then I knew it was definatly the flasher...Went to Peninsula Imports to get a new flasher...Brought it home....It was defective! By now I was getting pretty frustrated, so I just went to the local parts store and bought the closest one I could find...Works like a charm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks to everyone for your advice