• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Clutch Advice

VintageRob

Freshman Member
Hi,

I'm a new member who has finally realized a lifelong dream of owning a TR6…. A Pimento Red '75….

I'm currently replacing the clutch and I need some advice on the clutch choice with so many options out there. Which one do I buy?!?!

I'm also replacing all of the shaft items in the bell housing and was wondering about the option of replacing the shaft with the earlier shaft that is tapped for a grease fitting…. Is it worth doing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Rob

G

Rob, I would recommend calling The Roadster Factory and talk to them about their very popular Magic Clutch setup. It uses a heavy duty clutch plate and a Koyo throwout bearing. Should you add grease fittings to your cross shaft. Not really. They will come with new bronze bushes, all you need.

Good luck.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't forget to double up on the bushings. It was gees,5 years plus I did mine,Don't remember the how or why.

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I agree with Bill's comment about the magic kit from TRF, and I am a big fan of TRF, but from what I understand it is the exact same components as you get from British parts Northwest (www.BPnorthwest.com) and BPNW charge quite a bit less. I installed their kit last year and have been very happy with it so far.

Cheers
Alistair

G

bash said:
I agree with Bill's comment about the magic kit from TRF, and I am a big fan of TRF, but from what I understand it is the exact same components as you get from British parts Northwest (www.BPnorthwest.com) and BPNW charge quite a bit less. I installed their kit last year and have been very happy with it so far.

Cheers
Alistair

Ah yes, but the "magic" part of the TRF clutch kit is that it makes more money disappear from your wallet. POOF!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
NOW you guys tell me after I buy mine from the other guys.

I'm VERY happy with the TRF Magic Kit, no matter how much I paid for it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Before you decide which shaft to buy, be sure to check if there is room for the grease fittings. My Stag doesn't have enough room for a fitting on the end of the shaft, so I drilled & tapped the housing & bushing instead. I also used the TR3 input side bushing (which is quite a bit wider than the stock TR6/Stag bushings) on both sides. Too soon to know how much improvement it offers, but I don't expect to ever see any wear to speak of (while the old shaft & bushings were severely worn).

Also note that there are two special "dowel bolts" that accurately locate the bellhousing to the engine plate. It seems that many people (even some professionals) don't understand the importance of these and substitute standard bolts (which have undersize shanks and hence don't locate accurately). It's my belief that this is a common source of TR6 (and Stag) clutch problems.

BTW, Paul, if you had the "official" Gunst bearing kit, it would have come with the spring and bracket to overcome the problem you documented on your website. It seems that someone else copied Joachim Gunst's design, but left out that small detail.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Randall,

I had the "official" Gunst kit with everything pictured above. I have a trail of emails back and forth with Mr. Gunst himself, in Germany. I did not choose to remove the transmission several times for the fun of it. LOL!!!

The major problem was the usage of the Borg & Beck with the Gunst, but I simply have no faith in the Gunst bearing at this time. The TRF Magic Kit with the Koyo bearing works fine.

Also, Dowel pins were in from day one.

G

The Gunst bearing design is unique as to always rest against the pressure plate, right? Is the Koyo bearing supposed to do the same?

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Rob,...Something to consider...These cars are pretty simple, certainly in conparison with today's offerings. The transmission is pretty heavy, and I have always had trouble aligning the input shaft during installation. That's why when faced with clutch issues I, GASP,...pull the engine and transmission as a unit, so I can get to everything.
The downsides...it takes another 2 hours, but if you remove the seats, it might be close to a "wash". Be careful, "Shipfitter's disease" can set in at this point: well the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced,... hey, while I'm here I can look at the thrust washers,...ya know the wiring is pretty untidy, maybe...
And so it begins...Good luck on your project.
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Stirkle said:
The Gunst bearing design is unique as to always rest against the pressure plate, right?
Not exactly unique, since the stock bearing was also supposed to always rest against the PP and turn. But Yes, both the Gunst & Koyo work that way too.

R

RonMacPherson

Bob, are you talking about the weight of the tranny WITh an overdrive?.. I bought a used tranny once from the wrecking yard in San Jose(this would have been about 87) It was usps'd in a large cardboard box, weighed 78 lbs.

That's a heckuva lot lighter than a muncie!

OP
V

VintageRob

Freshman Member
Thanks to all.... this is exactly what I needed to get me started!

I'll report back as the project progresses.

Thanks again!!

Rob