• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A Clutch will not disengage

r66

Haven't driven my TR4A in about a month or so. I got in it today and clutch will not disengage. Lots of grinding when trying to get into reverse. Could not get it to go into 1st.

I then shut it off, put it and first and tried to start. The car lurched forward when I turned the key, even with the clutch pedal fully depressed. I checked and the pedal mechanism and hydraulics seem to be just fine (looks like ample travel of the cylinder).

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't look forward to pulling the transmission and replacing the clutch. I was told engine thrust washers could be the problem??

thanks
R66

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
It sounds like the pin on the fork that engages the throwout bearing may have broke off. I think you may be pulling the trany. Sorry about that.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Put the trans in reverse, hard foot on the brake, press clutch to floor and hit the starter. Sometimes the disc attaches itself to the flywheel after sitting for a while. Try it a couple of times.
Thrust washers are rarely an issue with TR 4 cyl engines so doubt that's the problem. Broken pin is possible but this doesn't happen because of sitting for a month.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Yep, I'm with Jerry - that's happened to me after having the car sit for a while - it should break loose quickly if its stuck.

Country flag
TR4's are not as bad as TR6's for the clutch to stick. I have found the best way for me to unstick the clutch is crank the engine, let it warm up so it will crank easy in gear. Have the car pointed in a way to where you can drive it as soon as it cranks. Hold the clutch pedal down and give the car gas quickly and then let up. You want the car to lunge back and forth. It should break loose after a couple of times. The heat from the engine transfering from the flywheel will help as well.

Marv

OP
R

r66

JerryVV
Thanks a million !! It took about 4 starter hits, but it broke free. It works fine now ! I can't believe how close I was to start tearing into it.
Thanks again
R66

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Happy to help, my first experience with a sticking clutch was in 1963 while woring on my brothers Healey 100. I was 17 and an old guy in the neighborhood who was always watching over me taught me that trick. He's long gone but his wisdom is still helping others and me.