• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3b temp gauge and heater hoses

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am wondering how the temp gauge capillary mounting kit attaches to the fuel line and I guess under the dash with the metal belt style ties and hold down clips.I got 6 straps in the kit but only see three on the fuel line pics and no obvious mounting under the dash for the 2 hold down clips also provided.I routed cap as in the instruction/maint. manual.Do thes ties just use one eye and fold over,then cut excess?Is there also rubber orinallly used under the staps?

Also do the original style ribbed type under dash heater hoses that Moss and TRF sell have molded bends at heater end or are the ribs just easier to make sharp bends.Standard heater hose is kinking.
Thanks
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No molded bends, they were just less apt to kink than ordinary heater hose. Years ago I added some hard bends, but for my current car I just removed the (optional anyway) heater.

Only 3 of the metal "tie wraps" were used for the temp gauge line, all under the hood. The other 2 are to secure the vacuum advance line. There was a black wrapping kind of like "friction tape" underneath the metal strap.

Don't have a good photo handy, but maybe this will help.

Attachments

• 29592.jpg
    29592.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 220
M

Member 10617

Tom,

Here are some photos that I hope will help. Notice that under each clip (and there are only two of them), there is some frabric (electrical?) tape wrapped around the tube.

Attachments

• 29594.jpg
    29594.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 29595.jpg
    29595.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 29596.jpg
    29596.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 29597.jpg
    29597.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 204
OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Randall for info and pics ,I sorta got the kinks out but have not installed defrost hose yet so not sure if thier routing is going to interfere in that area by vent.BTW I saw TRF has "preformed" hoses if I need them.

Thanks Lex for close ups.I wasnt sure if both slots in strap were used or what went under them but you cleared that up.I routed different inside car,going behind for the battery box and around heater,but still dont see where the hold downs under the dash go,maybe on one of those little L brackets on the back of the lower dash supports,?
Thanks again
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here's the usual route which includes your 'around the heater' path. Sorry, I recall there are 2 clips but cannot say where they attach.

capillary%20tube.JPG

This is how I did it on my 3, but this is my work, not factory, so don't take it as the last word (though I tried to do what I thought was correct). Mine is clipped to the fuel line:

Capillary%20Tube(1).JPG

I used friction tape (hockey stick tape in some parts of the country) under the clips:

CapTube1.JPG

CapTube2.JPG

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Geo,the last pic makes it clear.I saw that pic in manual and used as guide.There are two little L brackets on rear of lower dash suport,about 1" standoff with spring nuts that looks like they might be for the cap tub after it 90's behind the battery box,or what are these support bar mounts for?
Thanks,
Tom

M

Member 10617

George shows the capillary tube attached to the fuel line, which I believe is the proper place to attach it. Mine is attached to the pipe from the water pump housing to the heater. The only reason I can see why my mechanic attached it to the heater pipe is that it otherwise would run above my spark plugs and have to follow one or two awkward paths as it nears the bulkhead. As you can see, the heater pipe aims directly at the opening for the capillary tube in the bulkhead.

The illustration shows where the capillary pipe would go if a heater was installed (the heater was optional -- the 58 TR3A I had in Arizona had no heater) but it doesn't show any pipe from the water pump housing to the bulkhead (which is logical since the heater was optional). If the heater had been standard equipment and all cars had that pipe from the water pump housing, it's possible that the capillary tube would have been shown attached to it. It probably doesn't make a great deal of difference: either the heater pipe or the fuel line. The heat from the heater pipe doesn't seem to have any effect on the gauge reading.

The other difference, as you can see from my under dash photo, is that the mechanic routed the tube almost diirectly from the bulkhead opening back to the temperature gauge and not around the heater and then a sharp turn to the temperature gauge. I think what I have makes more sense, but I may be missing something.

Attachments

• 29601.jpg
    29601.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 29602.jpg
    29602.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 163

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Ed, I notice your coil in front of the firewall is tied together. I think the idea was to let that loose so it has ample room to flex as the engine moves on the mounts, without fatiguing the capillary. Of course, I don't really know how much the engine moves...just a thought.

John

M

Member 10617

John,

I, too, wondered about that, but even with the coil tied together, there is plenty of flex in the tube as it approaches the bulkhead. I have to think that the mechanic who installed the tube was trying to make sure that the tube didn't get fouled up with some other item in the engine. At any rate, I've never had a problem with it.

But, yes, I have questioned it...

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #003300">This addresses the under dash belt type mounting clips:
I don't have the capillary tube type in my 3 but when I did my restoration many years ago I didn't fill any unknown holes.
I subsequently obtained a complete used capillary tube type temp gauge with the belt type clip attached. It didn't work so I didn't use it but not before measuring the distance from the gauge to the clip. (There was only one clip but 2 pieces of friction tape that go between the clip and the line.)
The second one was 34 7/8" from the gauge. There was a sharp bend between the two pieces of friction tape so I ASSUME the missing first clip came just before the bend, which would put it about 2" in (next to the OD relay)
I don't remember finding a hole there but there was some rust in that area that I might have filled in without noticing the hole.
The holes for the OD relay were there. (plugged with rubber "carrots" since my 3 didn't come with OD)
Capillaryrte2.jpg

Capillarybrace001.jpg

</span></span>

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks 6TTR3A,I have the engine compartment side ok,but still not sure about under dash.I will check if I have that hole.The kit came with 6 straps and two p clips,like the ones that hold oil line,only bigger.Not sure if tube goes under lower dash supports or over to use the standoff bracket riveted to the rear of each lower support bracket.I used 3 straps on the fuel line.
Thanks
Tom