• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A tr3A wire wheels - who has the best deal?

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Looking to put 60 spoke chrome wheels on my TR3A project. Who do you guys think has the best deal and price? Willing to pay but want the best for the price.

D

DougF

First, what kind of wheel are you looking for? Dayton gets the highest rating. I wouldn't buy anything but.
Next, the decision is between painted and chromed. That is up to you.
You might just want to wait for a sale. TRF runs some good pricing as I'm sure all the others do.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with Doug about the Dayton's. I recently (one year) put them on my 3 and they balanced so well there is no scuttle shake. A huge improvement over my steel wheels never mind the look.
I did use the spacers from Revington so as to keep the studs the appropriate length to be able to use both sets though.
In hindsight I'd purchase the wooden wheel nut deal and a lead hammer rather than the long metal leverage tightener available from every dealer. The long lever tightens nicely with even pressure but still mars the ears of the chrome eared nuts.
Remember, tighten them off the ground to keep everything true after balancing.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
The best deal are Dayton's....forget about the rest. No comparison in quality.

G

A friend put some really nice Daytons on his concours TR4A and he went with the Stainless Steel Daytons. Very, very nice.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've had very good luck with my Dayton's so far! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

DSC07823.jpg

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Looks like Dayton wheels are on backorder. Best I could find on the price for 60 spoke chrome was $299.00 each plus this and that for the knock offs and adapters.

Have to wait until I hit the lotto (smile)

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
There are several different sources for dayton wheels. Once you win the Lotto they are worth the wait.

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Hence the post on who has the best deals... I though some of the members might know from their purchse.

As for the LOTO... Well, I'm still waiting.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If your heart's set on chromes then by all means have at it. Personally I have always liked the look of the painted wires on the TR3.

FWIW -- I have the Dunlop wires (60 spoke painted) and have had no problems with them in 7 years of driving. I know the one vendor who sells Daytons but not Dunlops bad-mouths the Dunlops but really building wire wheels isn't nuclear science... come to think of it, the Indians have figured out nuclear science as well. As for shipping damage... whether around the corner or around the world, that is a matter of packaging.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
prb51 said:
...In hindsight I'd purchase the wooden wheel nut deal and a lead hammer... The long lever tightens nicely with even pressure but still mars the ears of the chrome eared nuts.

What has worked well for me is a length of 1"x1" oak hit with a 3# dead blow hammer (no recoil). The key thing with this method it to 'tap tap tap' rather than trying to knock it loose with a couple of mighty whangs.