• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Windshield washer info needed

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
Can someone educate me on the installation of the various parts of a TR3A windshield washer bottle and pump? Our TR3 came with those parts missing but with obvious holes for the jets near the wiper arm holes. I've installed new jets and bought a replacement bottle and holder and a pump assembly but have no clue where this stuff is mounted or where the tubing is routed through the firewall, etc. Any pics showing this stuff would be helpful. It looks like the bottle may mount against the drivers side of the engine compartment and the manual fluid pump may mount between the dash guage/knob panel and the glove compartment, but I want to be sure before I mess something up at this stage.

Is there anything special about the tubing? Can I just use aquarium tubing or should I order from the big three?

FYI, if it matters our commission number is 41073.

TEXAS_TR3A

Country flag
In looking at mine, the bottle is mounted to the inside of the driver'side fender, almost straight across from the #3 sparkplug if you are counting plugs from front to back. The tubing goes into the large grommet to the right of the steering shaft. (if you are standing in front of the car)

As far as the fluid pump and type of tubing goes, I'm not sure. I can snap a few pics of bottle set up tonight, and also look to see where the pump is located on mine. Need to head out now and do some damage to a Turkey.....

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Craig: The windscreen washer was an option on the TR3A (and other models)? They were available from TR dealers and it was common to add these as an after-market accessory available from companies like JC Whitney, Amco or MG Mitten, etc. So, there may be variations.

OP
CraigLandrum

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
OK, I've got the washer bottle mounting position, but still need any info on where the manual pump is mounted - I assume it is on the dash, but can find no pictures or info anywhere. I'm at the point where I am ready to put the dash back in the car so any help greatly appreciated.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Craig,

My TR3A SN is close to yours (TS448**) and I found a picture of the dash I took when I was back on the mainland. The washer pump is original to the car and is a manual push-pump type. I think "Tudor" made it but I'll check when I go back to SC for Christmas.

Hope all in Forumland had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeff
2xTR6

Attachments

• 14375.jpg
    14375.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 408

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The washer pump on TS39781LO looks just like Jeff's photo too. Except my knob has a big chip out of it.

OP
CraigLandrum

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new with the added windscreen washer option. The dealer installed it. He put the plunger button over near the overdrive switch next to the rheostat for the heater fan speed. The model in mine is the Trafalgar. The bottle was craemy white (now yellowed a bit) polyethylene. The other model available was the Tudor brand which was similar but the bottle was clear glass.

Attachments

• 14382.jpg
    14382.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 344

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Here is the button below the overdrive switch and the rheostat. I use black rubber tubing to make it "original". Clear vinyl did not exist back in 1958.

Attachments

• 14383.jpg
    14383.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 327
OP
CraigLandrum

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for all the info, guys. FYI, I got all the black rubber tubing I needed from my local Advance Auto parts - the sell it by the yard behind the counter in several sizes.