• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Rack and Pinion and Alternator in!!

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I continue to make progress with this project. I finished installing the Rack and Pinion kit and the alternator. Everything looks good and everything lines up like it's susposed to.. If I can get the header issue resolved I'll be ready to start this thing soon. I have another set of headers coming in and I'm going to use the set that fits best. If it's the new ones I'll be waiting for the Jet Hot coating before I can start it... We'll see...I received the carbs back from Gary Martin tonight and they are a work of art! I'll get a picture of them tomorrow...

Here some pictures of the rack and alternator installed for those that are interested.

The Alternator... https://www.capt-roys.com/alt.jpg

The Rack and Pinion... https://www.capt-roys.com/rack.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Roy, where did you ever come up with that alternator adjustment bracket??? I'd have given anything for one of those in the early 70's when trying to adapt alternators to various and sundry applications.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Paul... That is a adjustment bracket from March Performance... It's not as easy as it looks... The hole was 3/8 and the bolt was 5/16.. I had to make a sleeve 3/8od and 5/16ID... Works great... I think I fitted that thing at least 4-5 times before I was satisfied!

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
CaptRoy,
I just installed a rack and pinion kit in my 1961 Tr3. I don't have the engine in yet, so I'm not really sure how it's going to handle, but the wheels seem to turn much easier. My only question is, in the picture you posted, the right side u-bolt that holds the rack to the frame appears to not have the aluminum spacer/hold down. Is it just the picture of did that side not use one. I know I have one on both sides of mine. Just curious.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
It has a spacer... Just can't see it as I put it on the bottom as recommended by British Restorations. I hope it's right... Everything is real tight and it turns lock to lock with me outside the car.. I'm really looking forward to this upgrade..

startech47

Jedi Knight
When these cars are on the road be sure to let us know the results. I'm considering the steering rack change. If anyone already has a conversion on the road please speak up. What steering rack is used?

Thanks, Phil

TNTriumph

Where are you guys getting your rack and pinions. I have a 59 tr3a and I have been looking around. Also how much did you pay for yours.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Where are you guys getting your rack and pinions. I have a 59 tr3a and I have been looking around. Also how much did you pay for yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine from British Auto Restorations, 540-989-5121, VA. It looks like the same one that CaptRoy showed in his pic. The kit goes for about $1100. You have to remove the engine driven fan, so the kit comes with an electric fan.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I got mine at the same place. That price sounds right for a split shaft column... May be a little higher for a single piece column... Very complete kit and installation was straight forward..

D

Deleted member 451

Got mine the same place. It's been on the road about 5 years now. Drives great, the allignment is easy and stable.
Because of my long legs I needed a smalled steering wheel the R&P makes using a 14" wheel easy. Handling is much better.