• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A FUEL GAUGE

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I have a question for the group. Can a TR3a fuel gauge be tested by just applying a 12V source to it? Since it normally receives it's power through the fuel sender unit which has a built in resistance, I was wondering if a 12v high amp source wouldn't just fry the meter. Has anybody tested a meter with just the battery?

PeterK

Yoda
You CAN test it by measuring the resistance with an ohm meter across the terminals. It should change as the float is moved up and down. But can't remember the ohm correct readings as it swings through its motion. I'm sure someone will chime with correct ohms.

OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Peter:
Thanks for the reply. But the gauge is not wired up to the sender unit. I was wondering about testing the gauge as a stand only unit.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't remember how long ago, but if you search here in the forum someone posted a link to a good article on testing that guage. I think the article talked about builing a resister box to "calibrate" the guage. Maybe someone with a better memory or the actual article link can chime in. wait, I may have found the link https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/fg_01.htm

OP
TR3TR6

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Adrio:

That's a good article on the fuel gauge, but it didn't say anything about just applying a 12v source to the gauge as a method to test it. Thanks.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Also --
The TR3 gauge works "backwards." A full 12 volts makes it read empty, though the needle will come up off the peg. The TR3 sender is high resistance, when full -- low resistance when empty.

One more thing -- as well as hooking up the battery to the terminals, the case must be grounded. The needle will move around if the case is un-grounded, but it won't read correctly. Don't ask me how I know this, nor what the result of that failed experiment was...

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha,

A power source for a simple "does it work" test is a 9 volt battery. The old transistor radio battery with some leads attach will be enough to show you the electric gauge needle will react to power. It will not determine accuracy, but the low voltage and amperage won't hurt the gauge.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
According to my notes:
TR3 fuel sender = 2 ohms at empty (that's basically a short or direct connection)
TR3 fuel sender = 85 ohms at full

So, if you hook one side to a 9v battery (or 12v dc source) and the other to a 85 ohm resister with the resisters other end to the other side of the supply, you should see full. Remove the resister, and see empty.

Early TR4 fuel gauges look the same, but empty=240 ohms and full=30 ohms.