• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Block Drain Puzzler?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I drained the radiator coolant for winter as it sometimes reaches -35C here in the dead of winter. When I went to drain the block I discovered that the drain petcock was missing. I understand that some TR3's had a plug instead of the drain tap but neither was there. The odd thing is that I've been driving it all summer and haven't noticed any coolant loss and I do check it every now and again.It never overheated either. There was some evidence of leakage on the block under the tap opening. Is it possible that the drain hole was blocked enough with crud that it only leaked a minor amount? Was low pressure in the system preventing a major leak!!! I'll have to stick a piece of wire in there and clean out the opening and see if coolant pours out.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'd say it's definitely possible, based on a few drain tap/plug holes I've cleaned out over the years! Be sure you've got something to plug the hole with once it's clear, though; I think it's a pretty typical thread and that you can get a petcock from a hardware store (such as you might find on a more modern radiator or even on, say, the bottom of the air tank of a compressor).

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Karl,

I agree with Andrew, it is quite common for the petcock to become plugged with rust, minerals and other crud circulating in the cooling system. The lower rear portion of the block doesn't have alot of water flow, so solids in the coolant tend to settle in that portion of the block I often have to poke a stout wire through the petcock to get coolant to flow. A 4 PSI radiator wouldn't put a lot force on any blockage.

I believe the petcock has 1/2" x 20 TPI UNF threads. The hole in the block is approximately 1/2 inch deep.

Periodically I remove the petcock and flush the block with a "water jet" I made using a piece of brake line and a small fixed hose nozzle. It lossen up and gets the crud moving around so it can be washed out of the block. Here is a photo of it.

Attachments

• 26686.jpg
    26686.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 182
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T TR2/3/3A How do I get rust out of block drain hole on TR3A Triumph 7
F TR2/3/3A SU 1 3/4 Carb to Manifold Insulating Block; '59 TR3A Triumph 6
B TR2/3/3A TR3a oil line at block question Triumph 5
AEW TR2/3/3A TR3a block with crack Triumph 5
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A Wet Sleeve to Engine Block Deck Clearance, TR3A Triumph 4
Don Elliott TR2/3/3A Stripped threads - TR3A block RHS rear ead stud Triumph 9
T TR2/3/3A TR3A Brake distribution block Triumph 12
mrv8q TR2/3/3A TR3A Fuse Block Q Triumph 6
trglory TR2/3/3A TR3a spark plugs Triumph 1
P For Sale 61 TR3A Triumph Classifieds 1
D TR2/3/3A 59 TR3A Gearbox lever will not move. Triumph 11
Q TR2/3/3A 61 TR3A Fuel Pump Triumph 4
71TR6 TR2/3/3A TR3A Front Bumper Mount Triumph 11
mctriumph For Sale Project car 61 Tr3a Triumph Classifieds 0
71TR6 For Sale TR3A Nose Triumph Classifieds 0
71TR6 TR2/3/3A A TR3A wiring question Triumph 17
P TR2/3/3A 1958 TR3A missing on cyls 2 & 3 Triumph 8
mctriumph For Sale scrapping two 59 Tr3a's Triumph Classifieds 15
J TR2/3/3A TR3A Finally on the Road! Triumph 6
angelfj1 TR2/3/3A TR3A Boot Millboard Install Triumph 7
G TR2/3/3A TS37903F Is my engine a TR3A engine because my starter says no. Triumph 3
B TR2/3/3A TR3A Gearbox fluid capacity question Triumph 7
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A Harewood hill climb Yorkshire TR3a Triumph 3
Hamish Racing Harewood Hill Climb Yorkshire TR3a Racing 0
J TR2/3/3A 58 TR3A Coil weak? 9KΩ on the secondary with a 1968 HA12 45208A non-ballasted coil. Triumph 4
J TR2/3/3A 58 TR3A Coil weak? 9KΩ on the secondary with a 1968 HA12 45208A non-ballasted coil. Triumph 1
T TR2/3/3A Looking for a TR3A front bumper Triumph 6
Hamish Racing General TR TR3a hillclimb Thumdrrstorm video uk Triumph 4
Hamish Racing General TR TR3a faster that a Lamborghini Huracan STO ?? Triumph 6
W For Sale 1960 TR3A for sale Triumph Classifieds 0
tr6nitjulius General TR 6/24/23 TRIUMPH TR6 (5) TR8 (2) Spitfire (1 RHD of 2) TR3A (1) Triumph 0
D TR2/3/3A tr3a occasional seat padding Triumph 10
G For Sale 1960 TR3A for sale $11,999 Triumph Classifieds 0
G For Sale NEW PHOTOS: Triumph TR3 Chassis Frame + Front Suspension, Fits TR2,TR3,TR3A,TR3B Triumph Classifieds 1
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A Greenville TR3a V8 ? Triumph 8
T TR2/3/3A Would like a paper pattern for TR3A hood stick cover Triumph 0
W TR2/3/3A 1960 TR3A Radiator replacement recommendations Triumph 11
T TR2/3/3A TR3A Windshield Question Triumph 4
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A Anglesey (Wales) TR3a track videos Triumph 3
RonC TR2/3/3A TR3A Hardtop Seals Triumph 7
T TR2/3/3A TR3A Disk Brake Question Triumph 10
G TR2/3/3A TR3A Front Sway Bars - Choice? Triumph 3
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A TR3a British Hill Climb Shelsley Walsh Triumph 8
T Wanted Working Fuel Gauge for TR3A Triumph Classifieds 5
T For Sale TR3A Original Radiator Triumph Classifieds 3
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A TR3a Faster Lap Times than a Ferrari F430 ?? Triumph 1