• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Windshield washer pump

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My post 6k TR3 body has windshield washer nozzles,and I got what looks to be a stock plunger pump with project.My dash has no hole for mounting pump.
If I decide to drill and mount ,where was this pump originaly mounted?
Thanks
Tom

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Tom
I think there are a couple of options. It is my understanding that most of the washers were dealer installed and I'm not sure that ST provided directions or templates for pump mounting. Perhaps someone knows where ST placed the pump at the factory, if in fact they did. Mine was mounted on a bracket that was screwed to the flange on the bottom edge of the dash panel below and just outboard of the tach. I'm quite sure mine came that way from the dealer. However, several others (most?) have them in a new hole in the dash face, beside, or in place of, the OD switch.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can't answer for what the factory did, but the washer pump on TS39781LO was in exactly the same spot shown on TeriAnn's website:
TR%20washer_pump.jpeg

https://www.tjwakeman.net/TR/P_TR3_washer_pump.htm

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I've seen a couple of examples where the location is shown as in Randall's picture. And while we are on this topic, if anyone knows where I can get a knob just like the one in that picture, please let me know! I've looked for a while and have had no luck so far.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for replies and pic.My pump must be later,with a generic windshield and wiper label,and the retaining nut that holds it together doesnt look like its meant for through dash mount.I may have to make a braket or find a different pump.
Thanks again
Tom

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Yes, I'd have to agree (after a quick Google search). The few pics that I found show it in the exact same place. There may also be a picture of an early one in Piggott's book (p 38) on a RHD car. It's on the opposite side. Tom

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Tom,

One more pic for you. Mine was installed on the left of the wheel just under the heater knob.

img_0445.jpg

And from the back side

P1030093.jpg

Cheers,
David

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Those car built before the electric pump was invented?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Don,
Lots of cars had period electric pumps (aftermarket?) also, with switch in place of pump. Still do.
Uncle Bob (aka TomMull)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not a matter of invention, (electric washers were available even from Lucas) but rather cost I think. Remember, these were "budget" sports cars, built to a price point well below most contemporaries. And electrical components in particular tended to be more expensive then (comparatively speaking), especially since Lucas had effectively a monopoly on the British market.

Besides, the manual pump was simple, lightweight, and effective.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
DNK said:

C'mon Don. The generator barely kept up with lights, heater and wiper motors all going. You want it to power an electric washer pump too?? TR4A's still had this same pump (actually the one in David's looks like a TR4/Spitfire one especially given the knob style).

I think the TR250 was the first with an electric pump on the washers.

Scott

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HerronScott said:
DNK said:

C'mon Don. The generator barely kept up with lights, heater and wiper motors all going. You want it to power an electric washer pump too?? ...
Scott
Yea, what was I thinking

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had jets in place on my '59, but nothing else. I wanted to get 'em working, so I bought a reservoir and a universal electric pump and rigged it all up. The pump provided so much more pressure than the hand pump, that it shot the blue liquid clear over the winsdhield, onto the boot. Not a drop ON the windshield. I found pair of aimable jets on eBay for cheap, and put those in. Now it all works right.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
When I ordered my 1958 TR3A brand new, I paid an extra $15.00 for the windscreen washer option. The factory had already installed the nozzles on all TRs up to then but the S-T dealer here in Montreal where I bought the car installed the washer bottle, the plunger and the tubing. It was by Trafalgar and he installed the knob to the left on the dashboard near the overdrive switch ($150.00 extra for the O/D option). TRA judges docked me a point in 1992 because the blueprints they had received from England (drawn by an English Draughtsman in Coventry and who drove a RH drive car himself had drawn the drawing with the plunger on the dashboard for the convenience of all who drive RH drive TRs) showed it over near the cubby box. I believe that anyone who ordered his TR3 or TR3A with this option "factory-installed" received the TR with it in the position shown in the photo from Randall.

I believe that TRA have since stopped docking a point for the position of the plunger and knob since it could have been "dealer-installed".

Attachments

• 24266.jpg
    24266.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 385