• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 windscreen

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ok I'm just gonna throw this one out there, does anyone know a good source for getting a windscreen for a TR3. Other than the usual channels, i.e. first person who says Vicky british, or Moss, is gonna get something thrown at them.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have you checked with your local "Windshields-R-Us" ? I had mine replaced at a local auto glass place about 10 years ago after a dump truck threw a baseball sized rock at me. Only took them 1 day to get it. Course then again it was covered under my insurance so I didn't care about the price.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Walter,

I agree with Jim, you should check with an auto glass shop. The windscreen is flat auto glass with some curved cuts. The key will be finding a shop that will cut to fit the frame or be willing to check their sources for a factory fabricated one. They may need the frame, if you can't provide the old glass.

Safety Fast,
Dave

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ok I'll check around, hadn't even thought about a local glass shop even having something like that, since it does have a slight curve to it. Thanks for the advice.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Not wanting to get something thrown at me I won't mention the name of that British place one state north of you. I don't usually patronize them but awhile back they had a smokin' good deal on TR3 windscreens. They said they were NOS and indeed they had the Triumph logo (open book) on them. So nice I bought one as a hedge against the day when that baseball-sized rock (or baseball-sized baseball) finds me.

As an aside -- doesn't everyone carry full glass coverage on their car? This is an endorsement that (for peanuts) gives you 100% coverage on all glass (also the plastic in the side curtains on the TR3) regardless of the deductible you have on the comp coverage. Its cheap because the insurance companies know people with deductibles can go to windshield replacement guys who waive the deductible &/or give you 24 steak dinners or whatever. Pretty common in AZ where sand & rocks assure you need new glass every few years.

Just a phone call & they come to your house the next day and replace that guy in minutes... I mean 5 or 10 minutes. Even do the rubber seal & chrome strip if you say it needs it.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Check Hemmings Motor News there has always been an add for windscreens in the Triumph section. I have gotten 2 from them.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yeah I had already checked out Vicky Brits price, and Moss's. I also have to get a set of hood hinges. I guess I'll go ahead and tell the story, but its not pretty. Awhile back at work we were given a 58 Tr3 to get back into running condition, after it had been sitting in this guys driveway since 85. Well we finally got done with it Tuesday. The car is fantastic, drives great, starts on the first crank, purrs like a kitten. We were very happy with the way the car came out. The guy pick it up on Wednesday, On Thursday after he gets done with his classes (he is a local professor) he decides to take it for a drive since the weather is nice. He checks the oil, puts the hood down ( now apparantly the hood release if pushed down all the way will bind up and not push the hood back up), goes and gets a ball cap and some sun glases, and gets in the car. He is enjoying his drive around the block, when he drives across some rail road tracks. The hood pops up, and flys off, hitting him in the head, flipping over, and landing upside down in the road. So he goes back gets the hood, and calls us. luckily the hood only has one small dent near the drivers side hinge, where it looks like it bent when it fliped up. Other than that the only damage are some rather heavy scratches,so we are just going to straighten it out, and repaint it. Luckily after breaking the winscreen and hitting the prof on the head the hood didn't hit the car anywhere, so there is no other damage. Anyway thats my horror story for the week.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Ouch! Have heard several similar tales including a local friend who was with his daughter at the time. Their heads put 2 dents in the bonnet and when they regained consciousness the car was parked in a ditch. Worst one I heard about happened on that long stretch of bridge in the Florida Keys. Had to drive several miles leaning out the side to see where they were going.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I hate to admit it but the same thing happened to me back in 1970 with my 1st TR3. I was tuneing the carbs and not thinging took off and boom the hood flew up bopped me in the head and landed 30ft behind me. The windscreen is slighty convexed, I recently bought a new tinted windscreen off e-bay it came from
ProSource Glass International
PO Box 996
Andover, MA 01810
Tel:877-345-2800
978-975-5400
Fax:978-975-5300
email:richardt@prosourceglassintl.com

Good Luck

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Russ, I think thats probably the best lead I've gotten so far.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hmmph... You crazy TR3 drivers. You should all be driving properly engineered TR4s with the forward opening bonnet (and being a TR4 owner yourself Geo, you should most certainly know better!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Properly engineered TR4 my arse....

Dzuz fastners my friend... Dzuz fastners.

How many threads have there been for you guys trying to release stuck bonnets??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

D

Deleted member 451

I'll add my hood story to these. I was in the army in 1974 stationed in Germany. I had a 68 MGB at the time. My buddy and I had just got the MG running and took it downtown. On the way baack in the middle of rush hour traffic in Wiesbadden the Hood flies up and stays there. No one was hurt but it took us days to clean the interior of the car.

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
That story reminds me of a story I read (and saved) in the 'Stars and Stripes' when I was in the sticks in Viet Nam. Some guy named Don Skelton from Phoenix, driving a TR3, had that happen to him during a 1000km race in Mexico City circa 1970-71. Only unfortunately he didn't survive the outcome. Didn't stop me from trying SCCA two years and every cent I had later.