• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 steering issue

markctr3

I have completely rebuilt the entire front suspension and steering on my TR3. All new bushings, tie-rods, upper ball joints, trunions, idler arm, shocks, springs, bump stops, wheel bearings, rocker shaft and steering box bearings.

Sounds like it should be perfect, doesn't it? With the wheels off the ground, there still seems to be play (side-to-side) in the steering, but when I turn the steering wheel it appears that all of the input is sent to the wheels. One thing I did notice is that the worm gear (when the shaft is out of the car) moves up and down the shaft a bit. I assumed (yeah, I know what that means) that the top and bottom ball bearing and shims would eliminate that play. Should the worm gear have that play when it is not installed in the steering box, or is that the problem -- or one of the problems? I did not replace the worm gear because it didn't look worn although the pin in the rocker arm was worn (the pin was replaced with the new rocker arm).

Again, I realize it is difficult to diagnose a problem without seeing it, but any input would be helpful. I don't want to put the front end back on the car until I have this done right!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Mark, there should not be any excessive end play in the shaft. If shimming does not correct the problem without causing binding in the steering, then perhaps the worm is also worn.---Fwiw---Keoke

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Mark let me see if I am understanding correctly. You have the shaft and pin out of the column which would then allow you to twist the worm gear around and around. And when you turn the worm gear it is actually drifting around in the box like the worm gear is lose on the shaft. Everyone I have seen is totally tight on the shaft. Or when you have the top inspection cover off the steering box housing and then move the steering wheel the shaft and pin pops out of the worm gear. The worm gear is extremely hard steel and has this high polished finish. I Doubt if it is wore much, but I do not know for sure. I think the pin would wear first. I have rebuilt a few steering box and what I usually see is that the worm gear chips and breaks like you would expect high carbon steel to do rather than wear. If the shaft is just popping up that is normal and is adjusted by the set screw on the top of the box.

George