• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tr3 engine fan

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Does anyone know a good supplier for an after market engine fan for a tr3. I have been using a six blade metal fan(maybe tr4a) that I got off a parts car on my driver for 25+ years and it works well. Now I am putting together a different engine and want to use a similar set up, but I am not really sure about the newer products. I have some 4 blade fans, but years ago when I used the 4 blade stock fan the engine would not idle very long without getting hot. Perhaps it is the pitch on the 4 blade if there is any that makes its cooling ability so poor. I actually considered trying to bend some pitch in the old one, but I doubt if it will have any effect. It looks like Moss does not offer a six blade plastic replacement. I saw one in the TRF booklet and that looks to be the only game in town. What do most people convert to today?
sp53

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got one of the TRF six-blade plastic fans, with the installation kit - never used. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Mickey

PeterK

Yoda
Q. What do most people convert to today?

A. electric - either pusher or puller.

But alternator is suggested. I say suggested because our 3A came with an electric and generator. The 6 bladed plastic is not a great fit in a 3A unless mounted backwards. The tropical TR4A 6-blades fan is highly sought after because of its rarity and cooling ability (versus the 4-blades). Also an original TR6 (69-70) 7 bladed plastic fan works well on a 3A; much smaller than the 6 blade from TRF though works well.
PeterK

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Yes, I think I'd recommend the TRF plastic fan kit, unless you want to stick with an original look or go to an electric fan setup.

The metal 6-blade fan is probably the "tropical" fan option that showed up on TR4 and 4A, might have been available for earlier cars, too. It's pretty rare, so the only alternative might be to try to adapt a similar fan from another car, if you really want a metal fan.

One advantage of the plastic fan is that it doesn't require balancing. The metal fans ideally should be balanced, but I've never seen any good info on how to do it. It's not addressed in any of the service manuals, other than to re-align an original fan with the hub and weights using the 1/16" hole that was drilled through them after balancing at the factory. That doesn't help much when mixing and matching parts from different engines, of course. So, I think I'd just vote for the TRF plastic fan solution.

Besides the fan, check your radiator shrouds and all the other cooling system components are in top condition, and spend a little extra for a sleeved thermostat.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...the only alternative might be to try to adapt a similar fan from another car, if you really want a metal fan. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall that some have used a particular Volvo fan. Not home right now so I can't look it up (in Bob Schaller's book I think). Personally, I just use a stock 4-blade (TR4 square-tip) and an electric pusher as an auxillary.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I recently installed a six bladed nylon flexi-fan from NAPA, part # 8231229. It is a 14" fan and the end of the blades need to be shortened 1/2 inch to make a 13" fan. I used a x-acto back saw to cut it down to size. You will also need to make a spacer to move the blade slightly forward. I made the spacer from a 3/8 inch thick nylon cutting board. The fan mounting holes also need to be modified to accommodate the TR3's bolts. I also have an electric pusher fan installed the is controlled by a thermostatic switch. The nylon fan keeps the water temperature at 185 at speed and slightly higher (about one gauge needle width) while stopped at a traffic light. The electric fan has not kicked in since I installed the new fan.

Safety Fast,
Dave

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I thank all you gentlemen for the input, I found the information valuable and to the point. I am not sure exactly how I am going to proceed. I did talk to Mickey(nice guy) and bought his old fan, so things kinda depending on how that fits. I am probably going to try a somewhat different approach in which I bridge the apron with some conduit on the underside and mount a pushing fan up in the top of the apron out of site. This will keep the front of the radiator open for air. I am only speculating and I am kinda affair that if I get the fan to far away it will be worthless. Anyhow I just like having the front of radiator open to get maximum air when I am moving.
Sp53