• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Door Rebuild Weatherstripping Question

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen
What are current thoughts on replacement of rubber weatherstripping under TR3 Door? On one door, I have retained the original door frame bottom, so I have all those holes along door bottom for weatherstripping clips. Was thinking of welding those closed and either (1) leaving weatherstripping off the door bottom; or (2) using adhesive to install new weatherstripping. Any thoughts? My car is not all original so I have no heartache about gluing on the new rubber. Thanks much.
Pat

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I can't be of much help because I'm not to that point of the restoration, but I recall most people leave them off. The door does not want to close with them on. I'm concerned about wind noise in a open car though.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Hey Pat!
I installed mine as original, but the doors would not close. So they were removed and the doors close nice. By the way when we have gotten stuck in a little rainy weather the door seals were the last of my concerns.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Pat, I used the MOSS weatherstripping on my passenger door, and while it would close, it took some effort; it hasn't seemed to put undue pressure on the hinges. After 5 years, not much easier to close.

I have bought the TRF version of the bottom door seals, but haven't tried them.... I think I would miss that nice “snick" the door makes when it closes.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I bought and tried to install the bottom strip. It was bending the door when I tried to close it, so they came back off. The originals were hollow, but the replacements are solid foam. I hope one day someone replicates the originals, but until then, wish I did not waste my time and money on them!

John

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
What I did was to put a small 3 inch piece on the bottom end. That way the door will still close and not rattle.
Steve

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
PatGalvin said:
Gentlemen
What are current thoughts on replacement of rubber weatherstripping under TR3 Door? On one door, I have retained the original door frame bottom, so I have all those holes along door bottom for weatherstripping clips. Was thinking of welding those closed and either (1) leaving weatherstripping off the door bottom; or (2) using adhesive to install new weatherstripping. Any thoughts? My car is not all original so I have no heartache about gluing on the new rubber. Thanks much.
Pat

Pat et al,

NO, don't weld those holes closed. Consider tying what we did first.

Don't bother trying to use the currently available lower door seals. The material used and differences in shape do not allow enough compression (of the seal) when the door is closed. This results in the bottom edge of the door sticking out - not a very good looking site!

We have discovered what we believe is a good alternative to the lousy (stiff and over sized) bottom door seal. Anyone who has purchased these and tried to fit them has found that they just don't work. Once in place the stiff, non-compliant "rubber" does not allow the door to close without noticeable deflection. This looks terrible and can result in permanent set in the sheet metal.

We found these,

seal-3.jpg

The weather-strip is available from Restoration Specialties and Supply Company, https://www.restorationspecialties.com/

In order to use these seals, they need to be trimmed like this,

seal-2.png

The finished seal fits nicely (you would use the proper clips and existing holes) and does not cause any deflection of the door.

seal-1.jpg

Good Luck!

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Frank for the great suggestion (and to all others for their info too).

Much appreciated.

I am happy to report that I have now rebuilt both doors (patch back lower skins, replace one door frame bottom) and they close, with acceptable gaps. Am repairing a collision-damaged fender this week (hope to finish Sunday). Lots of stretching and pounding to regain the contour. Had to cut out a portion of the fender structure (not the skin) and make those parts to replace crumpled damaged parts. I'll share photos after a hopefully successful weekend. I'm about three days away from starting primer, filler, and paint. You can probably tell that I'm pretty darn excited to graduate from the rust restoration phase of this long project.

Pat

IMG_9069.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Way to go Pat! Definitely keep the photos coming. It really is a milestone when no more cutting and removing has to be done...

John