• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR owner goes to the "dark side", selling spares

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

A longtime TR owner has gone over to the "dark side", sold his TR4 and bought something called a "Mee-ahhh-tuh", whatever the heck that is.

Anyway, he had quite a pile of spares leftover from his long term TR4 ownership and is clearing out the garage with a sale. If you wish, see what's available at https://webpages.charter.net/sanborn/TR4-Spares.htm

I bought a few things already. I have known Brian "via the Internet" for 7 or 8 years and he'll do his best to do right by Triumph owners, I'm sure, in spite of his recent defection to sportscars made in Japan. Prices seem very fair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

p.s. I just looked and it appears things are selling pretty quickly, but who knows, maybe he's got just the doohickey you need. Before anyone asks, no, I'm not getting a commission.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm a closet Miata owner myself. If Triumph had built a car such as the Miata, they might still be in business. Mazda managed to take all the fun attributes of the British sports car and package it into a modern, reliable platform.

The car is superbly designed. Totally adjustable double A-Arm suspension front and rear. DOHC engine capable of being turbo or supercharged to over 200 WHP WITHOUT internal engine mods. A five speed trans that is the benchmark for all others. It's a car that is easy to work on, has a tremendous aftermarket, and is cheap to buy and maintain.

Let's face it guys, if you want a small lightweight sports car that's more then just a sunny day weekend toy, the Miata fills the bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

(I'll duck now that the arrows are headed this way) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I can't argue. I have to admit that if the right deal came around on a "mee aaah taaa" I'd probably wind up owning one.
It is the closest modern equivilant to a british sports car espicially if your talking of a late 70s plasticized versions.
But my allure to vintage british iorn lies in the lack of "eye candy" trim and unnecessary doo dads that are necessary to make a car sell in the modern world.
Pure mechanical simplicity, exposed raw edges, actual evidence of this vehicle being built by hand, not sculpted by some steril design lab.
I'm not trying to knock modern cars. They are a definate advancement and are far safer than my favorite rides. But I just hold a soft spot for any vintage ride for it's ability to be a living part of history. Giving me a chance to glimps and be a part of an era I only can read about.

Thanks for the link, always good to have another source of oddball parts.

D

Deleted member 451

My wife had a Miata that was probally the best car built. 9 years and never a visit to the shop for anything. After she totaled it she wanted somthing a little bigger so we bought a Z3. That is the most uncomfortable car ever built not near the room of my TR3. I joke with her about going from being a cutie in a Miata to just another bitch in a beemer.
Wish we had the Miata back.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I sold a '91 Miata to buy my TR3. Miata is all you guys say but it's funny-- it really wasn't "special" like the TR. When I drove the Miata it was fun like a street legal go-cart. When I drive the TR, its more like, "life is grand"

G

I read a great review on the Miata a few years ago - they described it as the perfect "learner sports car". The reasoning went that it had enough power to be fun, but not enough to get you into trouble, and the handling characteristics (plenty of understeer) were readily predictable.

I test drove an anniversary one (the blue 6 speed) about 5 years ago for a friend who couldn't drive stick - go figure! I'd expected to hate it, but was pleasantly surprised. She ended up moving and buying a Toyota, but I do remember the car...

As an aside the latest C&D has a review of the new Miata (or MX-5) as they are calling it. They seem to be broadly positive, so I guess they will be around for a while longer. 720,000 sold and still going strong...

Eric

Jedi Warrior
A huge part of the appeal of the Miatas is that they are simple (at least by modern standards). No stability control or other electronic nannies, and the handling in stock for is far better balanced than any of the classic LBCs, with the exception of some Loti. If it was understeering, either you were entering the corner too fast or it had an alignment issue.

I still love the esthetics of the LBCs, but when I see the autocross times turned in by a TR8 nearly identical to my old one, I cringe. If I could own several 'toy' cars, I'd have a bunch of LBCs in my garage, but would still use the Miata as my daily driver.

Major thread drift, but the huge majority of the autocrossers in our local British Car Club are running Miatae.

OP
Alan_Myers

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Major thread drift, but the huge majority of the autocrossers in our local British Car Club are running Miatae.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, just curious... How does that work? Are they building me-ahh-tahs in the UK now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, I've not owned one, but have driven a few. IMHO, Mazda did a good job building the "fun factor" into the car. Have owned and driven Fiats, Porsche, 240Zs, even a Corvair.

I'd rather drive an LBC.

Still drooling over the Elise that cruised by Starbucks a couple times on Monday evening!

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I'm fortunate to own one of each,(90 Miata,65 TR4A,61 TR3A)which gives me a little insight into each cars pluses and minuses. Each one gives it's own driving experience. For total fun, handling and dependability-----Miata, hands down. But for those top down Sunday drives on the backroads------TR3 or TR4, for getting attention, those looks of envie or those looks of "what the heck is that car" from anyone under 25-----TR3 fits the bill. I enjoy all three and depending on the mood I'm in, each car satisfies my needs. The main thing is, whichever car you drive, "enjoy the moment".

Life is Good!

scott
95 Mustang Conv.
90 Miata
81 Excalibur
73 Mustang Conv.
65 TR4A
61 TR3A